PDA

View Full Version : PCLinuxOS 2009 is finally out.

BigSilly
March 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Obviously there's no more Other OS Talk forums, so I thought I'd pop this here. Please move it if inappropriate.

PCLinuxOS 2009 (http://www.pclinuxos.com/) has finally made it out. Any of you here installed it yet? What do you think of the latest release? Have to say, I've tried the live CD out, and while it's pretty nice KDE3 is starting to feel a little dated. I'm not a big fan either of the Kthis and Kthat naming conventions which they seem to be moving away from with KDE4.

Let me know what you think.

CJ Master
March 15th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I just tend to never try out stuff that's KDE. No matter how many times I try it I just can't get used to this. Plus I hate the "k" naming scheme with a passion.

Whats the difference between this and other distros?

kk0sse54
March 15th, 2009, 07:33 PM
...and PCLinuxOS is rubbish also

Reason being?

I also don't understand why everybody complains about the naming scheme using K for everything. Quite frankly this is why you never install the entire set of KDE and I generally dislike distros with DE isntalled by default. Before just dismissing it as crap and saying gnome is better go install the minimal base for KDE and actually try it.

ELD
March 15th, 2009, 07:33 PM
To those who complain about Kthis, what about Gthis? I've seen hundreds of gnome programs start with g for the heck of it. That said i am a gnome user.

I read somewhere that PXLinuxOS uses a rolling release, what the frack does that mean lol?

mips
March 15th, 2009, 07:38 PM
To those who complain about Kthis, what about Gthis? I've seen hundreds of gnome programs start with g for the heck of it. That said i am a gnome user.

I read somewhere that PXLinuxOS uses a rolling release, what the frack does that mean lol?

This is pretty much a Gnome centric forum with lots of zealots around and they are bound to hit on anything kde.

Basically means the distro has continues updates to keep your software up to date. you dont have to install a new distro every 6mnths etc to get new software like Ubuntu does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

The above should clear it up ;)

pwnst*r
March 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM
To those who complain about Kthis, what about Gthis?

ding ding.

exploder
March 15th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I just checked out PCLinux 2009.1 and think it is a very good release. The artwork is very nice and the selection of wallpapers is good! Everything works and the default set of applications is very complete. Texstar and the Ripper Gang maintained a very high level of quality in every respect.

ELD
March 15th, 2009, 07:51 PM
This is pretty much a Gnome centric forum with lots of zealots around and they are bound to hit on anything kde.

Basically means the distro has continues updates to keep your software up to date. you dont have to install a new distro every 6mnths etc to get new software like Ubuntu does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

The above should clear it up ;)

Excellent thanks for the information, i like the idea of a rolling release quite a lot. Anyone know why more distributions don't use it?

I gathered a lot of people would be gnome centric since ubuntu is primarily using gnome, but still to give crap about "kthis" when gnome has badsically the same thing just annoys me.

kk0sse54
March 15th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Excellent thanks for the information, i like the idea of a rolling release quite a lot. Anyone know why more distributions don't use it?

I gathered a lot of people would be gnome centric since ubuntu is primarily using gnome, but still to give crap about "kthis" when gnome has badsically the same thing just annoys me.

Rolling release distros can be more unstable at times than traditional distros due to the fact that they tend to be more bleeding edge up to date. Also at first they don't seem like high maintance but eventually due to the continually updates on your software config files will changes and every so often you have to go through /etc merging the new config files of X application with the old one or just replacing it all together.

Gramps
March 15th, 2009, 08:00 PM
There is a gnome version of the new PCLinuxOS_2009 too. I looked at it on vb and it seems pretty nice. I will probably burn it to cd and take a closer look.

One thing that confused me a bit was that it is based off Debain/Ubuntu and yet when you look at the package sources it is using rpm packages. Seeemed a little strangeto me.

kk0sse54
March 15th, 2009, 08:03 PM
There is a gnome version of the new PCLinuxOS_2009 too. I looked at it on vb and it seems pretty nice. I will probably burn it to cd and take a closer look.

One thing that confused me a bit was that it is based off Debain/Ubuntu and yet when you look at the package sources it is using rpm packages. Seeemed a little strangeto me.

It was originally based off Mandriva

Gramps
March 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM
That explains it, thanks..

mips
March 15th, 2009, 08:13 PM

There are pros and cons. You could always try Arch. Very nice rolling release distro. You kinda build your own and it's not as hard as you think it is.

Yeah, I'm getting pretty tired of all this bashing on these forums, if it's not kde then it's microsoft/windows. It really does distract from the forums if you ask me.

Hallvor
March 15th, 2009, 08:26 PM
The KDE version is very good - it still uses KDE 3.5.10, so it is very solid and tested.

There is also a community PCLinuxOS Gnome edition just a few days old.

Even if it is a rolling release, it is not really a bleeding edge distro - but it does offer a nice compromise between up-to-date and stability.

The easy backup solution (mklivecd) and the control center are also very nice.

BigSilly
March 15th, 2009, 09:27 PM

You're right, but to be fair it's far more prevalent in KDE3. Every app has a K in front of it!

If enough people think it's worth it here I might be tempted to install it. Though Mandriva's out soon, and I'm very keen to see how KDE4.2 is.

wolfen69
March 15th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Any of you here installed it yet? What do you think of the latest release?

i was going to install it on a spare drive to test it out, but while in the live cd, it would not connect to my wireless. i restarted the live cd 2 more times, and it refused to connect again. kind of stange, because every other major distro has no problems connecting for me. even mandriva, (which pclos is based on) has no problems with my wifi. oh well.

but i did like the looks of the gnome edition. very sharp.

wolfen69
March 15th, 2009, 09:35 PM
If enough people think it's worth it here I might be tempted to install it. Though Mandriva's out soon, and I'm very keen to see how KDE4.2 is.

personally, i would go with mandriva over pclos. pclos is basically mandriva with more codecs pre-installed,and maybe a couple little things different. kind of like what mint is to ubuntu. but i think mint has actually changed more stuff from ubuntu than pclos has from mandriva.

CJ Master
March 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
To those who complain about Kthis, what about Gthis? I've seen hundreds of gnome programs start with g for the heck of it. That said i am a gnome user,

I have Linux Mint installed. I also recently installed the package kubuntu-desktop.

In mint menu I did a search with programs that began with "g" that wasn't actually part of the name. I got one result (Gmount-iso.)

I did the same thing for K. I got 22 results.

plexi50
March 15th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I was going to install the new version, but live CD did not / would not connect with my ipw2200 wireless, which being so common, did not bode well for the distro, so I didn't mess with it. I used the 2007 version for quite a while, and just could not get used to the KDE way of doing things. Just different I guess. I definitely liked Gnome on my laptop a lot more, and I felt like I had do a lot more fiddling to get PcLinuxos to work right.

SuperSonic4
March 15th, 2009, 09:59 PM
personally, i would go with mandriva over pclos. pclos is basically mandriva with more codecs pre-installed,and maybe a couple little things different. kind of like what mint is to ubuntu. but i think mint has actually changed more stuff from ubuntu than pclos has from mandriva.

I used pclos before and it has nothing on mandriva. Easy-urmpi doesn't lie on the latter either.

KDE 4.2 is pretty sweet by the way, mandriva have it on their RC1

sertse
March 16th, 2009, 01:08 AM
think mint has actually changed more stuff from ubuntu than pclos has from mandriva.

PCLOS is forked to the extent that Mandriva packages aren't compatible with it anymore. That srot of a fundamental backend changes would mean it is much more diverent than Mint is to Ubuntu etc.

Simian Man
March 16th, 2009, 01:13 AM
but i think mint has actually changed more stuff from ubuntu than pclos has from mandriva.

You are incorrect. PCLOS test and host the packages they use. Mint just uses the Ubuntu repos with a few extras.

binbash
March 16th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Installing right now on my old notebook

wolfen69
March 16th, 2009, 07:24 AM
You are incorrect. PCLOS test and host the packages they use. Mint just uses the Ubuntu repos with a few extras.

regardless of that, i'll probably just stick with mandriva.

swoll1980
March 16th, 2009, 08:02 AM
regardless of that, i'll probably just stick with mandriva.

Mandriva is nice. I never understood the reason for pclinux. Mandriva has to be one of the best distros out there , and the best kde distro(3.5 was flawless) I've used, I don't like the rpm, so I stick with debian based systems.

gn2
March 16th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I've installed it on my laptop, but one little annoyance is that the mouse pointer hand is different in Firefox.
In FF the thumb sticks out and it looks untidy.
Maybe I'll have to install a new mouse cursor theme...?
Or just install Gnome.

EDIT: Sorted, cursor themes in the repos did the trick.

EDIT2: Resume from suspend too flaky, despite trying all the fixes I could find.
Laptop now back to running Ubuntu 8.04

Polygon
March 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM

while some apps follow the g naming scheme, the vast majority dont. The only ones that i can think of off the top are my head are gthumb.

and kde used to have basically EVERY application starting with a k, but they are moving away from it, thank god.

Mehall
March 16th, 2009, 03:36 PM
while some apps follow the g naming scheme, the vast majority dont. The only ones that i can think of off the top are my head are gthumb.

and kde used to have basically EVERY application starting with a k, but they are moving away from it, thank god.

gpicview, gwibber, gnome-volume-control, gnome-network-manager (or w/e) there's plenty more, but I can't do an apt-cache search atm.

forrestcupp
March 16th, 2009, 04:37 PM

All of Linux has crappy naming schemes. If it's not K-this or G-that, it's GNU-this, Open-this, or X-that. Or it's some dumb thing like Jaunty Jackelope. :)

It's obvious that the Linux world is made up of a bunch of left brained developers with a sad lack of artistic and advertising skills.

Mehall
March 16th, 2009, 04:44 PM
All of Linux has crappy naming schemes. If it's not K-this or G-that, it's GNU-this, Open-this, or X-that. Or it's some dumb thing like Jaunty Jackelope. :)

It's obvious that the Linux world is made up of a bunch of left brained developers with a sad lack of artistic and advertising skills.

www.getridofgandkinlinuxappnames.co.cc

Vorian Grey
March 16th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I tried PCLOS Gnome 2009 and I wasn't impressed. My screen resolution was wrong on install but that was easily fixed. However, my HP printer wasn't fulled supported like it is in openSuse and Ubuntu, and wireless and bluetooth wouldn't work. Bluetooth works on almost everything these days. I think I'll pass on this one. It's a pity, though, because a couple of years ago PCLOS was rocking.

Therion
March 16th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Would like to give this a whirl, but not with KDE. I've tried a few times and I just gave up; I just can't get my brain wrapped around KDE.

... a couple of years ago PCLOS was rocking.
Heartily agreed.

PCLOS used to be my fallback OS, and was giving Ubuntu a SERIES run for its money for the primary spot, but anymore I have trouble even getting the PCLOS CD to boot.

Twitch6000
March 16th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Oh joy... PClinuxOS2009 is out

This means no more crap distro like ubuntu will ever have to touch my hard drive =D.

I will install PclinuxOS2009 tomorrow and give a full review :D.

wolfen69
March 16th, 2009, 06:10 PM

sounds to me you wouldn't be happy with any naming scheme.

i wouldn't care if everything started with the word sh*t, or scum. as long as it works good.

wolfen69
March 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I tried PCLOS Gnome 2009 and I wasn't impressed. My screen resolution was wrong on install but that was easily fixed. However, my HP printer wasn't fulled supported like it is in openSuse and Ubuntu, and wireless and bluetooth wouldn't work. Bluetooth works on almost everything these days. I think I'll pass on this one. It's a pity, though, because a couple of years ago PCLOS was rocking.

i really wanted it to work for me, but when wireless is broken, (but works on every other distro) there is no excuse for that. i believe 2 other people on this thread had wireless issues also, that otherwise they don't have.

there is a reason pclos has slipped in "rankings", and perhaps that's because it is not "all that, and a bag of chips". although i did like the dark theme they use.

Vorian Grey
March 16th, 2009, 07:33 PM
although i did like the dark theme they use.

Agreed. The dark theme is awesome and the artwork is top notch.

dragos240
March 16th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Looks too windows 'ish

namegame
March 16th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Looks too windows 'ish

All of that is easily changed. If you're judging an operating system solely on it's looks, that's a bit superficial and unjustified.

Twitch6000
March 16th, 2009, 08:19 PM
i really wanted it to work for me, but when wireless is broken, (but works on every other distro) there is no excuse for that. i believe 2 other people on this thread had wireless issues also, that otherwise they don't have.

there is a reason pclos has slipped in "rankings", and perhaps that's because it is not "all that, and a bag of chips". although i did like the dark theme they use.

Okay hold up...

For one the way distrowatch ranks distros is the stupidest thing I have ever seen...

I mean really each click = rank O.o??

Second the reason why it has ''slipped'' is because of the problems texstar and the rippergang had,however that was fixed and now they are back on track. it is not because they are not all that...

Third I find PClinuxOs a great distro as it had the greatness of mandriva yet the simple tools of ubuntu. Along with its own spice ofcourse :).

izizzle
March 17th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Ok- I love KDE despite what everyone has to say about it, and I really want to try PCLinuxOS, but I couldn't find a 64-Bit version. Is there a 64 bit version?

BTW, for those of you who like Gnome- here (http://linuxgator.org/home/index.html) is a PCLinuxOS community remaster with GNOME as the default DE.

SunnyRabbiera
March 17th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Compiz seems to be its weakness, compiz on PCLOS 2009 makes the system very sluggish.

mips
March 17th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Is there a 64 bit version?

Not by the looks of things. 64 bit project seems dead.

izizzle
March 17th, 2009, 06:34 PM
:cry:

Twitch6000
March 17th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Not by the looks of things. 64 bit project seems dead.

This is sadly true ...

One odd thing I heard them say over there is if and when they can is they will make the 32 bit support up to 6 gb ram so there will be no need for a 64 bit version O.o.

I am not sure this is possible for one and if it is... how lol...

They also said if they ever do make a 64 bit version it will not be anytime soon.

Changturkey
March 17th, 2009, 08:25 PM
The distro is alright; it's the community that makes it "ugh". Super fan boys to the max, who can't take criticism.

mips
March 17th, 2009, 08:31 PM
it's the community that makes it "ugh". Super fan boys to the max, who can't take criticism.

Why does that ring a bell?

Twitch6000
March 18th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Well I just installed PClinuxOS2009 gnome edition last night.

The first thing that impressed me was how it detected everything out of the box :o.

I did have some 3d problems that are now fixed though.

I am having some sound issues aswell,I think I need to enable the other repo and upgrade everything.

One thing I did notice though that is odd esipically for PClinuxOS... is alot of the packages like PlayonLinux is outdated :(.

Again thought I think enabling the testing repo fixes that.

A real nice thing I noticed was how it comes with one or two programs installed by default for anything.

So you have a webcam program,video editing program,music programs,video programs,etc...

namegame
March 18th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Why does that ring a bell?

<off_topic>

Mips I love your sense of humor...

</off_topic>

forrestcupp
March 18th, 2009, 06:47 PM
This is sadly true ...

One odd thing I heard them say over there is if and when they can is they will make the 32 bit support up to 6 gb ram so there will be no need for a 64 bit version O.o.

I am not sure this is possible for one and if it is... how lol...

They also said if they ever do make a 64 bit version it will not be anytime soon.

It's possible, I think with patches to the kernel. I don't remember how it's done, but I know it is possible for 32-bit to support more RAM.

But that still doesn't make sense. It's not like that's the only benefit of 64-bit. Rejecting 64-bit is not a great way to make your future bright, since that's the direction the world is headed.

wolfen69
March 18th, 2009, 07:04 PM
any OS (namely pclos) that can't connect wirelessly with my very generic wireless card, gets a big fail. plus, pclos brings nothing to the table that ubuntu can't.

Twitch6000
March 18th, 2009, 07:09 PM
any OS (namely pclos) that can't connect wirelessly with my very generic wireless card, gets a big fail. plus, pclos brings nothing to the table that ubuntu can't.

*cough*fanboy*cough*

I would love to see you without ubuntu it would be funny to see.

magian
March 23rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
*yawn* who cares....

ryaxnb
March 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
I'm starting to think texstar is nuts. He just can't seem to make a schedule, he won't move off of kde 3, his distribution is still based off mandriva 2006 or something, and ive given up on both him and mandriva. :(

Ubuntu For The Win!
I think ubuntu is the way to go and mandriva is just a has-been, while texstar isn't cut out for making a distro.

djsroknrol
March 23rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
I'm a PCLOS Gnome fan, so I did get to try it out...my Linksys WMP54G adapter didn't setup right and it was a bear to fix...had to blacklist every instance of wlan0 everywhere and start all over. I did manage to get it working and it's really not that bad.

A sidenote: I also tried Zen mini 2008, which is a minimalist version of PCLOS Gnome, and had the same problem with my wireless adapter.

In the last 4 releases, Ubuntu has always got my wireless running out of the box. I don't know why the new PCLOS versions fell short on this.

BigSilly
March 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
I'm starting to think texstar is nuts. He just can't seem to make a schedule, he won't move off of kde 3, his distribution is still based off mandriva 2006 or something, and ive given up on both him and mandriva. :(

Ubuntu For The Win!
I think ubuntu is the way to go and mandriva is just a has-been, while texstar isn't cut out for making a distro.

That's harsh. I think Mandriva has been fantastic personally, though I will admit I gave up on 2009 because KDE4 was such a royal PITA. I'm hoping Spring 2009 will be the one to win me back.

Though I don't use PCLOS myself, I have in the past and it's been a tremendous distro. Dunno about the new one yet, but even with KDE3 it's still got to be worth a look. Ubuntu's great, but other distros offer just as much you know! ;)

wolfen69
March 23rd, 2009, 05:35 PM
*cough*fanboy*cough*

I would have love to see you without ubuntu it would be see funny.

what's that supposed to mean? i can use any distro and make it work, but i'm not going to waste time to fix something broken when every other distro works fine. i'm also a "fanboy" of mandriva, puppy, and debian. keep your immature remarks to yourself.

btw, i have my own pc repair business, and i install and maintain linux machines. now that's funny. you really should not open your mouth if you do not know someone.

GepettoBR
March 23rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
what's that supposed to mean? i can use any distro and make it work, but i'm not going to waste time to fix something broken when every other distro works fine. i'm also a "fanboy" of mandriva, puppy, and debian. keep your immature remarks to yourself.

btw, i have my own pc repair business, and i install and maintain linux machines. now that's funny. you really should not open your mouth if you do not know someone.

That's all fine and dandy, but try not to feed the trolls. It gets them agitated.

cfree220
March 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
I'll never use any distro that has KDE as a default desktop again. GNOME is over 9000 times better IMO.

...and PCLinuxOS is rubbish also :lolflag:

What 9000?!?!

GepettoBR
March 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
What 9000?!?!

There's no way that can be right!

cfree220
March 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
Gepetto, I swear to god I am not stalking your posts.

GepettoBR
March 23rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
Gepetto, I swear to god I am not stalking your posts.

:lolflag: me neither, I'm just watching my subscribed threads.

I guess I should leave for an hour or so.

cfree220
March 23rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
Oh no! I didn't know that you could subscribe to a thread! Now I'll never get any schoolwork done!

I'll jut sit there refreshing the page... lol

BigSilly
March 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
All sorts of issues in the PCLinuxOS camp. (http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090330#news) :( Sad to hear. It's a great distro.

GepettoBR
March 30th, 2009, 09:23 PM
All sorts of issues in the PCLinuxOS camp. (http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090330#news) :( Sad to hear. It's a great distro.

This is what happens when people put "me" before "we".

Vorian Grey
March 30th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I'm not surprised by any of this. I stopped using PCLOS a long time ago because of a lot of crap that was going on. I think things have just built and built until something had to give.

drakshug
April 30th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Rolling release distros can be more unstable at times than traditional distros due to the fact that they tend to be more bleeding edge up to date. Also at first they don't seem like high maintance but eventually due to the continually updates on your software config files will changes and every so often you have to go through /etc merging the new config files of X application with the old one or just replacing it all together.
Pclos is a bit different.
The users request updates to the distro and there are two repos - testing and non-testing. Testing is bleeding edge and not for normal users. once it has passed testing it goes to the repo. Tex doesn't let it go in unless it works.
I went from 2007 to 2009 with no probs...............unlike the 6 month cycle if you are non TLS with certain other distros.