PDA

View Full Version : Just saying Hello

Titus A Duxass
December 29th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Hello everyone,
I have been lurking around this forum for a while, thought I'd say hello.
The latest Kubuntu (along with Automatix) is responsible for my dumping of SuSE. I've been using SuSE since 7.3 and despite all the updates, upto and including 10.0, there are always problems with SuSE.

Kubuntu, however, recognized and configured my HP PSC 1610, gives me no USB hardware problems, burns DVDs, accepts that I change bits of my hardware regularly and even accepts (with ndiswrapper) my wireless card.

So you can say that I'm well chuffed with the distro.

The only bit I do not like is the lack of root to carry out system maintenance.

So there you go I am a happy bunny.

Seasons Greetings
Titus

hamiltonlight
December 29th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Hello,

I used Suse too before finding Ubuntu. Like you I found stuff just works and its great!

If I have to do extended stuff as root I use "sudo su".

regards.

Lord Illidan
December 29th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Hello everyone,
I have been lurking around this forum for a while, thought I'd say hello.
The latest Kubuntu (along with Automatix) is responsible for my dumping of SuSE. I've been using SuSE since 7.3 and despite all the updates, upto and including 10.0, there are always problems with SuSE.

Kubuntu, however, recognized and configured my HP PSC 1610, gives me no USB hardware problems, burns DVDs, accepts that I change bits of my hardware regularly and even accepts (with ndiswrapper) my wireless card.

So you can say that I'm well chuffed with the distro.

The only bit I do not like is the lack of root to carry out system maintenance.

So there you go I am a happy bunny.

Seasons Greetings
Titus

I also used SUSE. But I prefer Kubuntu, even though SUSE feels more polished-like. The crippled multimedia codecs in 10.0 did it for me, I just swung off.

As regards your root problem, look here. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo
It explains while Ubuntu doesn't use root, and yet, it tells you how to enable it, should you want to.. And it is not recommended, btw..