PDA

View Full Version : Extracting the exe file

elliotn
March 15th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Guys is there a way I can extract the exe file. The file is vista transfomation pack.exe, I have tryd both winrar and winzip. There are files that I want that are store in that exe, is there a way either in ubuntu or xp

Eisenwinter
March 15th, 2009, 04:29 PM
First, this should be in one of the support forums, since you posted it in here, I ask the mods to move it to General Help (out of respect for you not wanting to put it in Absolute Beginner).

And now, what exactly are you trying to do?

Are you trying to run an exe file under wine in Ubuntu?
Or are you just trying to install some program in Windows XP?

Provide more details.

elliotn
March 15th, 2009, 04:34 PM
No I am trying to extract the files in that exe without having to install it either in wine or ubuntu. i just want the files that are inside the exe.

And sorry for posting in a wrong place

Eisenwinter
March 15th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I doubt you can do that in Ubuntu, or in Windows.

koenn
March 15th, 2009, 04:46 PM
if it's a real .exe, a binary, executable file, you can't unpack it. If it's some form of self-extracting archive, winrar should be able to deal with it, or you can run the .exe with /? to see if it has instructions to unpack it.

you should also read the license to see if the sort of thing you're trying to do is allowed.

Bölvağur
March 15th, 2009, 05:32 PM
open it with wine and hope it isnt a lame trick to distribute a virus.

other than that it will be impossible to run it (what you got is a program not an archive of files, even though the only thing the program does is write files to your system... extracting files...)