PDA

View Full Version : I've successfully completed GSEC exam; I'm certified

Dedoimedo
March 15th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Hi all,

Just completed the exam an hour ago! I'm a certified GIAC Security Essentials (GSEC), after doing the SANS Security Essentials Bootcamp for some 3 months or so. The certification is mainly about infosec, defense-in-depth and IT security management. All in all, a nice thing.

As to how Linux fits in, well, Linux was a part of the whole scheme. Most of the concepts are general IT, with some emphasis on specific subjects like network, cryptography, active directory, Linux security, etc.

So, on to the next hurdle. Finally gonna complete LPIC-2 and then try Ubuntu Certified, just for fun.

Cheers,
Dedoimedo

vlearner
March 15th, 2009, 02:29 PM
nice, congrat. btw, how hard s it compare with C|EH ?

Dedoimedo
March 15th, 2009, 02:38 PM
CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker?

Well, don't know. I didn't take CEH (yet). GSEC is more top level. We did a bit of hacking, but just basics. I do much more at home :)

Dedoimedo

vlearner
March 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
wow. where do you live? hacking paradies where Cyber Crime laws are inactive, i wouldnt risk my life attempting to do any malicious/"real" hack or i may have an appointment with FBI in 30 mins later :D
also, i think CEH is a stupid joke, so if you havent had it yet, I suggest you shouldnt take it, waste couple hundreds for a piece of paper what isnt worthy :)

Dedoimedo
March 15th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Where I live is less important.

When I said "at home" - this does not mean I do any unauthorized scans of machines outside my network. But within my own network, I do run all sorts of gadgets, tests and whatnot.

The level of hacking i do in my own lab environment was on a higher level than GSEC offers - is what I meant to say. Then again, GSEC is not about hacking. It's about strategy.

Dedoimedo

vlearner
March 15th, 2009, 04:27 PM
yeah, sry I didnt meant that, just disappointed with my place which doesnt support me much in acquiring new security technologies/knowledge :( I want to get some more security certs tho, but right now my CEH would scare away any company that want to hire me (then they would think that eventho one with that "ethical" cert., he s still a hker and one grey day, he may destroy all in a few clicks, how ignorant:()

Dedoimedo
March 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Start with well known courses and certifications, those given by heise, sans, secunia, etc.

Dedoimedo