PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] For all of us from the good old days- how to rip the starcraft music files!!!

ChodeOfDoom
March 15th, 2009, 05:33 AM
OK,
so this is in fact really easy. You will need to download a mpq viewer/ editing program. I used "MpqEdit" which allows me to open and extract files from .exe, .mpq, etc. So, pop in your old starcraft CD and then open up your mpq viewer/editor. In the mpq editor, open up the "install.exe" file on the CD. If .exe is not supported by your program, copy and paste the install.exe file into your computer and change the extension to .mpq. Now, in this folder there are tons of files (over 700). Scroll down the list till you get to the .wav files. If you just want the ones you are looking for, do a trial and error check. Or just extract files numbered 00038, 00039, 00040, 00045, 00046, 00047. These will get you the protoss and zerg music files. Please post a comment if you find out the number for the terran files, too, as it would save everybody a lot of time. ALSO- there are 2 extra missions in this "install.exe" file IF YOU HAVE AN EARLY ISSUE OF THE CD (if it says 1.0 on the front). For the map "Biting the Bullet" extract file number 00581. I do not know the file number for "operation Silent Scream." HOWEVER, though this is in .mpq format you can open it with a map editor. Sadly, no program i tried could actually open this file. I will try to get it to work but untill then you are all free to try and help.

Thanks for reading!!!
--chode