PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I boot into the ubuntu 8.10 live cd?

broof
March 15th, 2009, 01:55 AM
So I'm trying to dual boot ubuntu and win server 2k3. I've got win server installed, but after installing ubuntu it just says "Error loading operating system". I've gathered from the forums that this is due to ubuntu ******* up the MBR, and that this could be remedied through a manual edit via the live cd. I was able to get windows to boot again by setting its partition back to active with a partition editor, however this of course disables my ability to boot with ubuntu.

My question is: how do I boot into the live cd? There is no "live cd" download option at ubuntu.com, and based on what I've seen here it seems like the standard ubuntu cd IS the live cd. When I boot via the cd, however, my options are as follows:

Install Ubuntu
Check CD for defects
Test memory
Boot from first hard disk
Rescue a broken system

Help Language Keymap Modes Accessibility Other Options

None of these seem like they would boot ubuntu straight off the cd rather than the hard drive. So am I missing something here? Do I need a different disk? Do i need to put in boot options? I realize this is kind of a newb question but everywhere I've looked for an answer the author assumes that this step is too obvious to require explanation.

sailthesea
March 15th, 2009, 02:03 AM
You need to make a LiveCD for ubuntu to boot You may have to press F11 or be really quick reading your boot option screen when it flashes up It should just start up for you when you power up with the CD in the drive

hichamroudi
March 15th, 2009, 02:08 AM
You can download live cd from here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Choose the suitable version for you Computer 32bit or 64bit.

I am sure you'll be able to enter the live session. these are the Options:

Try ubuntu without any change to your computer
Install Ubuntu
Check CD for defects
Test memory
Boot from first hard disk
Rescue a broken system