PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Add Crucnhbang to Ubuntu

RD1
March 14th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I've been playing around with the Crunchbang live CD and I do enjoy the minimal GUI. It remind me of my Win2000/Litestep days.

I was wondering if it was possible to add the Crunchbang desktop to my Ubuntu install. I do not want to start with a clean install and I do not want to dual boot.I also would like to retain my Ubuntu desktop and have the choice of which to use at login. Just like choosing Gnome or KDE.

Could I simply install over Ubuntu, choosing not to format any partitions?

Could I simply add Crunchbang's repositories to synaptic and then install Crunchbang-desktop?

Any suggestions?

perlluver
March 14th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I've been playing around with the Crunchbang live CD and I do enjoy the minimal GUI. It remind me of my Win2000/Litestep days.

I was wondering if it was possible to add the Crunchbang desktop to my Ubuntu install. I do not want to start with a clean install and I do not want to dual boot.I also would like to retain my Ubuntu desktop and have the choice of which to use at login. Just like choosing Gnome or KDE.

Could I simply install over Ubuntu, choosing not to format any partitions?

Could I simply add Crunchbang's repositories to synaptic and then install Crunchbang-desktop?

Any suggestions?

You could, but it is not recommended. You would be better off to install Openbox and configure it how you want it. http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/, this guide should be of help.

RD1
March 14th, 2009, 11:30 PM
You could, but it is not recommended. You would be better off to install Openbox and configure it how you want it. http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/, this guide should be of help.

Maybe I'll just go that route. I do like the fact that Crunchbang has so much of the configuration done already.

perlluver
March 14th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Maybe I'll just go that route. I do like the fact that Crunchbang has so much of the configuration done already.

That is a plus to Crunchbang, I kinda liked it, but found it missing some things, and it automatically turned off my screen, which messed up my resolution.

gjoellee
March 14th, 2009, 11:34 PM
CrunchBang=Ubuntu+Openbox+Configuration

It is not hard to make your Ubuntu installation become "#!CrunchBang"

jjgomera
March 14th, 2009, 11:38 PM
if you run crunbank liveCD, you can copy openbox configuration, copy folder /home/usuario/.config/openbox to a pendrive.
In ubuntu, install openbox, copy the configuration to your ubuntu instalation configuration, check menu and install other app crumbang use

RD1
March 14th, 2009, 11:46 PM
That is a plus to Crunchbang, I kinda liked it, but found it missing some things...

Which is why I want to keep my Ubuntu install. :D

if you run crunbank liveCD, you can copy openbox configuration, copy folder /home/usuario/.config/openbox to a pendrive.
In ubuntu, install openbox, copy the configuration to your ubuntu instalation configuration, check menu and install other app crumbang use

Now why didn't I think of that?! :o Sounds like the way to go.

snowpine
March 15th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Hi RD1,
Crunchbang has an install script. You can install it on top of your existing Ubuntu install by following these instructions: *edit: see below*

Kangarooo
July 19th, 2009, 01:13 AM

Actually you dont need live cd. Default is posted here for reasons if sometimes messing with it its messed up :) http://crunchbang.org/wiki/crunchbang-linux-conky-config/

b.a.w
July 19th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Thats conky config file not openbox config. I would do as suggested above, just copying it from crunchbang. Openbox can be a pain from scratch.

snowpine
July 19th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Here's the new Crunchbang script for 9.04:

http://www.crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/downloads#alternative_installation