PDA

View Full Version : What Cooling And Extras Will I Need?

kamitsukai
March 14th, 2009, 11:15 PM
My interest in PC building has peaked since I discovered how cost effective it is;) and so far I've decided on the parts below (I already have some parts which I'll cannibalise from my current system such as graphics)

Intel Core i7 920
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4

But I'm a little unsure about what cooling I would need? I definitely want it to be quite and not sound like an aeroplane. also am I going to need cables and things? as most parts will be OEM

Thanks in advance for helping a Hardware camper:D

Skripka
March 14th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I'm fond of Zalman HSFs...but you'll need a roomy case for this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118046&Tpk=zalman%20i7

damis648
March 14th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Unless you'll be overclocking, if it comes with a stock cooler it should be fine. (That is if it is retail).

OutOfReach
March 14th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Coming from experience (see sig)...
I did NOT buy any extra cooling equipment, I am using the stock fan/heatsink right now and it is currently running at 33C
It rarely goes above 40C.

So I don't think you will need any extra cooling unless your planning to overclock.

kamitsukai
March 14th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks everyone :)

oasmar1
March 14th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Well, unless your intending to go with some kind of SLi or XF setup then I really recommend this power supply. It is very quiet - I can't hear mine(you could go for the 600W version if you require more power)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001
It says it has Core i7 support but I think that this is just a marketing statement as I think Core i7 can work with normal power supplies.

kamitsukai
March 15th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Well I've hopefully decided on what parts I want now and completely changed what motherboard I'm going to have as well :)

CPU - Intel Core i7 920
Motherboard - ASUS P6T DELUXE iX58
Video Card - Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT (which I already own)
Memory - OCZ 3GB (3X1GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive - Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB
PSU - 460w Included with Case
Optical drive - LiteOn 20X DVD±RW
Optical Drive - Sony BDU-X10S Blu-Ray BD-ROM
Memory Card Reader - Extra Value All in 1 Internal Card Reader
Case - Coolermaster Black Elite 330

All of that hopefully will cost me roughly the best part of £700 and leaves me plenty of room to future proof and buy more ram at a later date when Triple Channel DDR3 gets a hell of allot more affordable;)

Also will a 460w PSU be enough? or would a more powerful one bet better?:-k

Thanks again:guitar:

mips
March 15th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I definitely want it to be quite and not sound like an aeroplane.

also am I going to need cables and things?

If you don't like noise then I suggest you look at http://www.silentpcreview.com/ recommendations.

My experience to date has been to not purchase any additional cables. I only purchase GigaByte and they have always come with plenty of SATA & PATA cables besisdes the normal MB cables and external port brackets.

Skripka
March 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Well I've hopefully decided on what parts I want now and completely changed what motherboard I'm going to have as well :)

CPU - Intel Core i7 920
Motherboard - ASUS P6T DELUXE iX58
Video Card - Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT (which I already own)
Memory - OCZ 3GB (3X1GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive - Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB
PSU - 460w Included with Case
Optical drive - LiteOn 20X DVD±RW
Optical Drive - Sony BDU-X10S Blu-Ray BD-ROM
Memory Card Reader - Extra Value All in 1 Internal Card Reader
Case - Coolermaster Black Elite 330

All of that hopefully will cost me roughly the best part of £700 and leaves me plenty of room to future proof and buy more ram at a later date when Triple Channel DDR3 gets a hell of allot more affordable;)

Also will a 460w PSU be enough? or would a more powerful one bet better?:-k

Thanks again:guitar:

If that PSU is rated 80% odds are it will work...though if you get a more powerful GPU in the future, you might want a 500W or a 550W.

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power

Last I knew the only way to get a BluRay drive to 1/2 work on Linux was by hacking, breaking about a dozen DMCA provisions....and rolling some dice. There is no licensed 3rd party FOSS BluRay player software-and if Sony has it's way there never will be either. Ergo the only place you can use it is on a Windows install.

mips
March 15th, 2009, 02:37 PM
If that PSU is rated 80% odds are it will work...though if you get a more powerful GPU in the future, you might want a 500W or a 550W.

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power

Last I knew the only way to get a BluRay drive to 1/2 work on Linux was by hacking, breaking about a dozen DMCA provisions....and rolling some dice. There is no licensed 3rd party FOSS BluRay player software-and if Sony has it's way there never will be either.

Person lives in the UK, DMCA laws do not apply to him. The rolling of dice part I do agree with though ;) Might want to throw in some witch craft for good measure :)

mips
March 15th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Last I knew the only way to get a BluRay drive to 1/2 work on Linux was by hacking, breaking about a dozen DMCA provisions....and rolling some dice. There is no licensed 3rd party FOSS BluRay player software-and if Sony has it's way there never will be either.

Person lives in the UK, DMCA laws do not apply to him.

The rolling of dice part I do agree with though ;) Might want to throw in some witchcraft for good measure :)

Skripka
March 15th, 2009, 02:48 PM

The rolling of dice part I do agree with though ;) Might want to throw in some witchcraft for good measure :)

It's early, I haven't had enough coffee...and the majority of my master's degree work is due this afternoon :P

kamitsukai
March 15th, 2009, 03:10 PM

Yes I know all about the witch craft bit with how I got my inbuilt monitor Webcam and mic working although I still haven't worked out how I did it....;)

and to be honest I'll rip the damn thing to my winblows box and then watch in ubuntu if I have to:roll:

Skripka
March 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Yes I know all about the witch craft bit with how I got my inbuilt monitor Webcam and mic working although I still haven't worked out how I did it....;)

and to be honest I'll rip the damn thing to my winblows box and then watch in ubuntu if I have to:roll:

Ripping it is easy-breaking the encryption is quite difficult, still.

kamitsukai
March 15th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I think AnyDVD HD by SlySoft works at the mooment doesent it? although only for windows which is a shame

gn2
March 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM

I'm guessing that this case and PSU bundle (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135101) is what Kamitsukai is considering....?

Good choice if it is, although personally I would spend a bit more and get the case on it's own and a Corsair PSU from the same supplier or a Seasonic PSU from elsewhere.

kamitsukai
March 16th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I'm guessing that this case and PSU bundle (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135101) is what Kamitsukai is considering....?

Good choice if it is, although personally I would spend a bit more and get the case on it's own and a Corsair PSU from the same supplier or a Seasonic PSU from elsewhere.

yep that's the one:) I was already looking into that idea and noticed that they did the same case without a PSU:lolflag:

JECHO
March 16th, 2009, 02:03 AM
My interest in PC building has peaked since I discovered how cost effective it is;) and so far I've decided on the parts below (I already have some parts which I'll cannibalise from my current system such as graphics)

Intel Core i7 920
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4

But I'm a little unsure about what cooling I would need? I definitely want it to be quite and not sound like an aeroplane. also am I going to need cables and things? as most parts will be OEM

i would HIGHLY not reccomend the i7... I know a few guys who have them and are very unsatisfied... even without over clocking they seem to fry themselves... besides, isnt a 2.8 quadcore plenty?

kamitsukai
March 16th, 2009, 11:55 PM
i would HIGHLY not reccomend the i7... I know a few guys who have them and are very unsatisfied... even without over clocking they seem to fry themselves... besides, isnt a 2.8 quadcore plenty?

Well It's probably more bragging rights over my brother than anything else:D (jokes...)

although now I've discoverd how much less a higher end AMD Phenom II would be on my bank balance:)

Intel i7 920 2.66ghz processor = £205

AMD Phenom II 3.0ghz processor = £195
but with the added saving of a compatible AMD+ socket processor and DDR2 memory...just over £200 worth of savings, which I have to admit leaves allot more breathing room for extras;)

mips
March 17th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Well It's probably more bragging rights over my brother than anything else:D (jokes...)

You really don't need the latest and greatest. You pay a price penalty for going with the latest, it's called "the law of diminishing returns".

oobuntoo
March 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM

Intel Core i7 920
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4

I recently built a Core-i7 system. I used the following parts:

Core i7 920 CPU
MSI X58 SLI Platinum motherboard
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU cooler
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB DDR3 memory
CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX power supply
Antec P182 Gun Metal Black case
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ graphic card
LG GGC-H20L Optical Drive (Blu-ray/HD-DVD/DVD+RW/DVD-RW/CD-RW)
Samsung SATA 500GB and 200GB HDD (left-over from old PC)

If I had to do it again, I would go with an ASUS motherboard and GeForce GTX 260 instead.

kamitsukai
March 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
well I think I've got what I want now, well I better had as it's already bought and shipping :P

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1338/specs.png

mips
March 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM
well I think I've got what I want now, well I better had as it's already bought and shipping :P

Very nice, now go buy it!

Your specs are very similair to mine except I have a Intel cpu, at the time those AMDs weren't available else I would have got one.

You will love the Sonata case, I know I love mine :biggrin:

Skripka
March 17th, 2009, 06:07 PM

See how well that Zalman thermal compound works. If you don't run as cool as you'd like/want/need-wipe it off with some alcohol and reapply with Arctic Silver5.

In a 22C room, my AMD6400 (a 125W chip)-idles at about 30C with a Zalman 9500 cooler on it...but I use Arctic Silver5-which is the "good" stuff.

Paqman
March 17th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I definitely want it to be quite and not sound like an aeroplane.

I'd definitely ignore the folks telling you to use a stock cooler then. They're noisy as hell. I've usually gone with Zalman coolers myself, but some of them aren't as quiet as they should be, so i'll be shopping around a lot more for my next one. A quiet case like the NZXT Hush will help, and isn't too expensive.

Check out QuietPC.co.uk (http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products), they've got a good range of stuff to let you know what's available, and they go into a lot of detail (but don't take their word as gospel, read some other reviews before buying)

You can get silent models of a lot of good graphics cards, and make sure you get a quiet PSU (look for a large fan on the bottom, not a small one at the back) A PSU with an "80plus" rating is good to have to, as it's more efficient.

Also, there's a lot of rubbish talked about cooling and quietening. Don't bother with pointless flap like hard drive coolers, and don't obsess too much about airflow.

kamitsukai
March 19th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Well everything arrived today, well I say everything as there was only one box and it was smaller than a pc case which immediately got me worried and it appears with good reason as the courier company appear to of lost the box containing the case! although they say they only received one box....just waiting for ebuyer to get back to me now =[ hopefully they've accidentally left it behind at the depo;) (I'll be pissed if they left it at the sorting office in Coventry!)

gn2
March 19th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Go into your Ebuyer account and have a look at the order, Ebuyer ship from multiple warehouses and your order can arrive in different shipments on different days.
I think the product lines are colour coded to show which warehouse they ship from.

kamitsukai
March 19th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Go into your Ebuyer account and have a look at the order, Ebuyer ship from multiple warehouses and your order can arrive in different shipments on different days.
I think the product lines are colour coded to show which warehouse they ship from.

Nope all came from the same warehouse, turns out that the courier company were correct and they only ever received one box the other is still at ebuyer:evil::-x:sad: I was told to call back tomorrow to check it had been resent for next day delivery...

kamitsukai
March 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Nope all came from the same warehouse, turns out that the courier company were correct and they only ever received one box the other is still at ebuyer:evil::-x:sad: I was told to call back tomorrow to check it had been resent for next day delivery...

Well surprise, surprise they still cant find the original case...but on a brighter note if they haven't found it by this afternoon there shipping me out another for next day delivery on Saturday:D