PDA

View Full Version : LedgerSMB or OpenERP - any thoughts?

walterbyrd
March 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I have not tried either since around October 2008. Last time I tried, neither seemed adequate. But I would be interested in what others here think.

Last time I tried:

OpenERP:
I found it very difficult to install, and use. The modules were a complete mess - and you can not do much - if anything - without the modules. OpenERP seems to be missing a plethora of critical features. I also found it poorly documented, and the community unhelpful. I get the idea that OpenERP is only meant to be used by European companies that hire the Tiny company, or one of the Tiny Comany's partners. Since last October, OpenERP has put some documentation on line, and has come out with version 5.0 - maybe things are better?

LedgerSMB:
Why did they have to write this in Perl? And, even the core developers admit that the code base is a mess - although they claim to be working hard to fix this. The web site is just awful, click on screenshots to a page with nothing - and it's been like for over a year. I don't see where you can get to the discussions from the web-site. Progress seems to be extremely slow. I think LedgerSMB may be providing some decent documentation now.

I don't think either of these products can import from QuickBooks, or do online banking, or -really- connect to any popular ecommerce packages.

jstn
March 25th, 2009, 01:27 PM
i'm just getting my feet wet in OSS ERP solutions but i sense the same eurpean influence about openerp that you do.

imo, it looks very promising but i'm not sure how US companies will perceive it. i was unable to find a firm in the US that provides openerp consulting. do you know any?

have you looked at compiere at all? i'm going to play with that next.

- j

walterbyrd
April 17th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I get the idea that Compiere really wants Oracle for the DB. Technically, you can rig it to work with PostgreSQL - but it really wants Oracle.

I don't care to mess with all the Oracle, and Java, stuff.

walterbyrd
July 12th, 2009, 02:02 PM
> i was unable to find a firm in the US that provides openerp consulting. do you know any?

TuxTone
http://tuxtone.com/index.php?title=TuxTone:Home

> have you looked at compiere at all? i'm going to play with that next.

I think Compiere will be difficult to use with Oracle. Supposedly, Compiere will work with PostGreSQL, but I think Compiere really wants Oracle.