PDA

View Full Version : What to do about a friend who likes Linux, but is afraid to switch?

kaldor
March 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM
A close friend of mine who is not too computer savvy hates Windows. He has been using Windows for a few years, and recently got a computer with Vista preinstalled. He hates it. The problem here, is that he would rather use Linux but he is afraid to switch fearing he will be lost and unable to do anything. He is also afraid to partition, as he knows what could happen if it screws up.

Weird situation, what can I do to help? =

OrangeCrate
March 14th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Let him use a Live CD until he's comfortable with Linux. Then let him make the decision to install on his own.

mips
March 14th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Leave him be. Ultimately the choice is his to make.

Eisenwinter
March 14th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Explain to him how to get on the LiveCD of Ubuntu, let him play around with it, and see if he likes it.

If he knows he can try to break things, without being afraid of actually breaking something, he'll try more things out, and eventually become more comfortable, and lose his fear.

But, for your sake, don't be his tech support guy.

RiceMonster
March 14th, 2009, 04:35 PM

What he said.

ugm6hr
March 14th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Weird situation, what can I do to help? =

Give him pros and cons (there is a thread in here about Is Ubuntu for me?).

Point him here.

Give him a LiveCD to experiment with.

Advise him re: backups.

Install Linux for him if he wants after all that.

insane_alien
March 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM
help him set up a dual boot and tell him that he can try using linux as much as possible to see if he can manage using it without major problems

Dr Small
March 14th, 2009, 04:46 PM
But, for your sake, don't be his tech support guy.

ditto

forrestcupp
March 14th, 2009, 04:50 PM
help him set up a dual boot and tell him that he can try using linux as much as possible to see if he can manage using it without major problems

+1

Either help him set up a dual boot system so he doesn't have to give up Windows, or just leave him alone and don't worry about it.

FLMKane
March 14th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Does he have an older computer which can run ubuntu? Maybe he could play around with Ubuntu on that one, before he installs it on his main machine.

zakany
March 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM

Just by getting involved, the OP is signing up to be this guy's IT support, for free, for life. Something tells me that a user who has trouble with Windows isn't going to find Linux a walk in the park.

Yownanymous
March 14th, 2009, 05:58 PM
If he wants to install it, offer him help, even for the most trivial of things. And yes, show him the LiveCD and show him how to do things.

ugm6hr
March 14th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Something tells me that a user who has trouble with Windows isn't going to find Linux a walk in the park.

Unless he has a friend to point him in the right direction.

I did the same for my mum and sister, who have since become self-sufficient on Ubuntu now.

Blvaur
March 14th, 2009, 09:30 PM
What he said.

Depends on if you want to choose his actions for him or not. In behavioral psychology classes there was an example of how to make people do stuff they claim not wanting to do.
Well your friend seems to want to use linux so asking if you should dual boot his computer for him and just leave it like that (and set grub up so it always picks automatically vista. It may take him 1-2 months but in the end he'll chose to be a linux user all by him self, as long as he got the option to use it.