PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error 17 boot problem and BG rescue linux.

hantsmike
March 14th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hello

I'm a Windows refugee to Mint – a version of Ubuntu. I have dual boot machine which was running perfectly but had aquired an unwanted partition which I tried to delete using partition editor. This went wrong and when I now turn on the computer to run GRUB all I get is Error 17 and the boot process stops prior to running GRUB. I can get into the bios and I've changed to load from CD but it will not work I've tried various Linux (mint and ubuntu) and windows rescue and boot CD / DVD disks ( I have another working computer) and the only thing that works is BG-Rescue Linux. (http://www.giannone.eu/rescue/current/ ) which loads from two floppys (after I told the BIOS to run from floppy) . BGR then boots from RAM and takes me to the command line

rescue:/#

The problem is that I have little idea of what to do next . I think I should try and get it to boot and then reinstall from my Linux Mint DVD but do not know what the correct command is .

Can any-one guide me as to how I reload what ever it is I need to reload?.Unfortunately I do not have any command line experience. I would prefer to keep my windows partition (c drive) because it such a pain to reload and I need it for work related software. There is no data I need to preserve on the machine and obviously reloading linux is easy. The rescue floppys that work contain also the following tools

LINUX-Kernel**2.4.36.2
with lzma support
with inittar support
with cloop*2.01 support
with fuse*2.5.3 support
with NTFS*2.1.6b support
with DVDRW*Patch
with SC92031 Ethernet Adapter Patch
with the PocketBoy*Patch

uClibc**0.9.29
BusyBox**1.9.2

with losetup-2.4 patch
/++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++\
|[, [[, adjtimex, ar, ash, awk, basename, bunzip2, bzcat, bzip2, cal, cat,|
|chgrp, chmod, chown, chroot, chvt, clear, cmp, cp, cpio, cttyhack, cut, date,|
|dd, deallocvt, devfsd, df, dirname, dmesg, dos2unix, dpkg, dpkg-deb, du,|
|dumpkmap, echo, egrep, env, expr, false, fdflush, fdformat, fdisk, fgrep, find,|
|fold, free, freeramdisk, fsck.minix, ftpget, ftpput, getopt, grep, gunzip,|
|gzip, halt, hd, hdparm, head, hexdump, hostname, hwclock, id, ifconfig, init,|
|insmod, install, kbd_mode, kill, killall, klogd, length, less, ln, loadfont,|
|loadkmap, logger, logname, losetup, ls, lsmod, lzmacat, makedevs, md5sum, mesg,|
|mkdir, mkfifo, mkfs.minix, mknod, mkswap, mktemp, modprobe, more, mount, mv,|
|nameif, nc, netstat, nslookup, od, openvt, pidof, ping, pipe_progress,|
|pivot_root, poweroff, printf, ps, pwd, rdate, readlink, realpath, reboot,|
|renice, reset, rm, rmdir, rmmod, route, rpm, rpm2cpio, sed, setkeycodes, sh,|
|sha1sum, sleep, sort, split, stty, swapoff, swapon, switch_root, sync, sysctl,|
|syslogd, tail, tar, tee, telnet, test, tftp, time, top, touch, tr, traceroute,|
|true, tty, udhcpc, umount, uname, uncompress, uniq, unix2dos, unlzma, unzip,|
|uptime, usleep, uudecode, uuencode, vconfig, vi, watch, wc, wget, which, xargs,|
|yes, zcat |
\************************************************* *******************************/

Filesystem-Tools:
cramfs**1.1
dosfstools**2.11
e2fsprogs**1.40.7
ntfsprogs**2.0.0
ntfs-3g**1.2310
progsreiserfs**0.3.0.5
reiserfsck**3.6.20
umsdos-utils**1.32

Disk-Tools:
cloop**2.05
dd_rescue**1.14
gpart**0.1h* * (with support for ReiserFS 3.6)
lilo**22.8
mdadm**2.6.4
ms-sys**2.1.3
syslinux**3.60
tphdisk
fdisk and hdparm are integrated in BusyBox

Compression-Utilities:
cabextract**0.6
rzip**2.1
zip**2.32
ar, bzip2, cpio, dpkg, dpkg-deb, gzip, rpm, rpm2cpio, tar, uncompress, unlzma and unzip are integrated in BusyBox

cmdftp**0.7.6
linld**0.97
loadlin**1.6c
pcmcia-cardmgr**3.2.8
regutils**0.10
smbclient**1.9.18p8* * (with pipe support)

Supported Filesystems: cramfs, devfs, ext2, ext3, iso9660, minix, msdos, ntfs 2.1.6b, ntfs-3g (rw), proc, ramfs, reiserfs, tmpfs, udf, umsdos, vfat, xfs
Network filesystem: nfs

Many thanks.

meierfra.
March 15th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Did you try SuperGrub: It comes on CD, USB and Floppy

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

If Supergrub does not work, I can show you how to use "dd" to fix grub. But I need some information:

1) What is the device name of your Linux Mint partition. It's something like "/dev/sda3" To figure out the device name, type

fdisk -lu

at the BG Rescue Linux command line

2) How many hard drives to you have?

3) Are your bios set to boot from the hard drive containing "Linux Mint"?

hantsmike
March 16th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Hello Meierfra,

Many thanks for your help .Busy couple of days but will try on tuesday and report back. I am stunned that you have spent your own time replying -- thanks again.

Mike.

upchucky
March 16th, 2009, 01:54 AM
perhpa a mod can sticky this somewhere?

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/HOWTO_GRUB_BOOTLOADER_AND_TROUBLE_SHOOTER

MooseNSquirrel
March 16th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I hope everyone doesn't mind me jumping here as well... Today I decided my windows crash was my last so I downloaded the latest build from ubuntu, created an image disk and ran the install.

The first time I ran the install I accepted the defaults and Ubuntu was installed on my primary 160 gig IDE drive. Of course when I rebooted I booted into Vista which I had installed on the 250 gig (SATA) drive. I re-ran the install and installed Ubuntu on my 250 gig SATA drive and when I rebooted I get a Grub error 17.

My bios see the drives as SATA, Primary Master and Slave IDE. In the bios I did change the TYPE to User on all drives and no fix. All are set to AUTO as well. Below is my sudo fdisk

Usage: fdisk [-l] [-b SSZ] [-u] device

E.g.: fdisk /dev/hda (for the first IDE disk)
or: fdisk /dev/sdc (for the third SCSI disk)
or: fdisk /dev/eda (for the first PS/2 ESDI drive)
or: fdisk /dev/rd/c0d0 or: fdisk /dev/ida/c0d0 (for RAID devices)

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xc8afc8af

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 63 312579759 156289848+ 42 SFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
Disk identifier: 0xc8afc8b0

/dev/sdb1 63 312578820 156289379 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdc: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors
Disk identifier: 0xc874c874

/dev/sdc1 63 476262989 238131463+ 83 Linux
/dev/sdc2 476262990 488392064 6064537+ 5 Extended
/dev/sdc5 476263053 488392064 6064506 82 Linux swap / Solaris

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1 returns (hd2,0)

I have read alot of threads an I understand when needs to be done but since this is still day one with Linux I could use a lil help. I am not sure what commands to execute and how sdc1, sdc2 and sdc5 correspond to (hd?,?).

Kind Regards,
Moose

meierfra.
March 16th, 2009, 06:53 AM
MooseNSquirrel: Please start you own thread. Trying to solve two problems in one thread leads to unnecessary confusions.

To get you started in the new thread:

In order to get a clearer picture of your setup, I suggest to boot from your Ubuntu Live CD (the Ubuntu install CD), download the Boot Info Script to the Live CD desktop:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

Then open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type:

sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh

That will create a "RESULTS.txt" file in the same directory from where the script is run, namely your desktop; please copy/paste the contents of the RESULTS.txt file to your next post, highlight the copied text, and click the pound/hash sign "#" graphic button in the Ubuntu forum message box so that the text will get "code" tags put around it. The results of that script will help clarify your setup and hopefully what the solution to your booting problem might be.

But post "RESULTS.txt" in the new thread. Not here

hantsmike
March 17th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Hello Meierfra,

Yep, Supergrubdisk floppy version seems to have got me back on track --feel stupid for not trying the floppy version myself.

So, many thanks, you're another reason why I'll continue with Linux /Ubuntu/ Mint and continue to recommend them to my familly and associates.

Regards

Mike

meierfra.
March 17th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Supergrubdisk floppy version seems to have got me back on track

Great. Supergrub floppy did seem the be the canonical solution.(But secretly I was hoping that supergrub would fail: I know how to fix grub just using "dd", but I actually have never done it. So I was looking forward to putting my theoretical knowlegde to practical use :))