PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partual UPgrade to 7.10 failed / systen unusable

mmistroni
March 14th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Hello all,
i have tried to upgrade to 7.10 from 7.04.. system told me it could do only a partial upgrade.... i followed instructions on screen, then at certain point upgrade failed and it informed me that it was recovering to previous state.
Now the system does not recognize any driver, and i dont have even network connection anymore...
Could anyone suggest me how to proceed?
I guess i'll need to do a fresh install.... if that is the case can i do a fresh install of latest then?

thanks and regards
marco

davmac
March 14th, 2009, 02:51 PM
In your position I'd do a fresh install. Boot up with the live CD and you can use that to recover all of your data on to some removable media, then do the reinstall.

In the past I've rescued broken systems with a live CD, but I've always found that it is so much cleaner and quicker to do a fresh install, as long as you've got all your data backed up.

Hope this helps,

Dave Mac

mmistroni
March 14th, 2009, 03:03 PM
DavMac,
thanks for your reply... i have just couple of question more for you..
As all my drivers are unusable, at current state i cannot back up any data... will the liveCD allow me to back up anything?

Secondly, will i need a liveCD or can i get away by copying 8.10 image to a CD and boot with that CD?

thanks in advance and regards
marco

davmac
March 14th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Yes, the live CD should allow you to back stuff up, unless you need special drivers for your devices. Even then you can install them in the live session.

Yes, you just burn the 8.10 image to a CD and that is the live CD.

Dave Mac