PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disk read error. Help!

Narokos
March 14th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I am new to ubuntu and i have liked what i have seen so far. so last night i switched and i installed ubuntu clean. My problem is when i start up i get a "disk Read Error, Insert Bootable disk and press enter" Thats all i ever get Ive tried different things in the install but i egt the same thing. Can anyone help?

betrunkenaffe
March 14th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Sounds like your bios can't find the mbr. Few questions:

Do you get to the grub menu?
Are you using RAID HDD?
Did you install a dual boot or single?

Narokos
March 14th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Im not sure by Grub menu. and no i dont have a raid HDD im using sata. and single boot.

glennzo
March 14th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Or GRUB didn't get installed properly. Maybe you need to re-install the boot loader?

Narokos
March 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Ill tell you waht i did when i put the disk in my drive. I placed it in, boot from cd, when i got to the parition screen i was a bit confused. not that i never partitioned anything before but this one took me by suprised. so i picked the second option cuz i wanted vista gone. and it formated i think. and when i came back it was installing. then it said to restart so i did i took out the cd cuz it told me too. then it came up with that error. Never got a grub menu.

Narokos
March 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Ok so an update. My GRUB boot loader was installed on a wrong partition i got everything working now ty for all your help. I don't know how i missed that. A word of advise dont install an os at 1 am