PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Internet access...at work...

WatchUrSix
March 14th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Hey all, I'm new to this website and new to Linux

I have just recently installed Ubuntu on a USB flash drive and I'm now using it to connect to my home computer, running "Windows Vista," through VNC for internet access. It's nice having everything installed on the USB drive, nothing left behind on the company PC. :P I'd like to make this connection a little more secure by using SSH tunneling and get rid of VNC by using my home PC as a Proxy server for internet access on my Linux USB setup.

I've been told I can setup a Proxy server on my home PC and through an SSH tunnel access the internet driectly from the web browser on my Linux USB setup.

Can this be done?

I might be a little off on how it works, thats how it was explained to me. Any chance someone could explain it a little more and tell me maybe where I should start.

At this point I can access FTP sites, HTTPS sites and driectly through VNC to my home PC. All http sites are blocked. My home PC has Vista and Ubuntu runing on it. Any ideas on how to get rid of VNC and gain internet access on my Linux USB setup would be awesome. :popcorn:

Thanks,

WatchUrSix

WatchUrSix
March 15th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Anyone?? Can someone give me an idea of where to start? anything? Help or links to setup to proxy and SSH in Linux ?