PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft rips off Linux... Again...

PryGuy
March 14th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Hey there! Here we go again... Guest mode this time...
Why Guest Mode?

Guest Mode will typically be used in homes by parents that wish to create safe user accounts for their children and other guests that many want to use the PC. It is not configurable in any meaningful way, and every time the PC is rebooted or an account is logged off, all of the changes made in safeguarded accounts are discarded and the system is returned to its original running state.
The complete story... (http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/ff_pcsafeguard.asp)

PurposeOfReason
March 14th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Hasn't guest mode been around since 95 or 98?

PryGuy
March 14th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Guest user account you mean? These are different things... Guest user is like nobody:nogroup in Samba...
Tip: Don't confuse Guest Mode with "Guest account." They are completely different things.

PurposeOfReason
March 14th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Should have read the article. :/ I never really did see the use of that for a home PC. Maybe a terminal in a public place though.

PryGuy
March 14th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I do not use it either, cause my dad and my gf have their own PCs here. (Ubuntu powered of course!) :) But I think it's useful though... That's why Microsoft stole it...

binbash
March 14th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Rip off.Guest account and user different things

Swarms
March 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
They are just making their product better, I like that.

GOROSSI
March 14th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Guest Mode is nothing new XP had it (including in Home) from it's release I used to let my nephew loose in it so he didn't mess anything up.

mips
March 14th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Boo *&%^^*(* hoo. This MS bashing is really getting on my nerves.

Vince4Amy
March 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'm going to leave this forum soon because this stupid every day it's another Windows bashing topic. No wonder why Linux is not getting anywhere.

The most popular distro is Ubuntu which has the following faults:

Bloated
Slower Than Any Other Distro I've Used
Obscure Bugs Which Aren't Present In Other Distros Even With The Same Software Versions
Awful Default Theme Which Believe It Or Not Does Put People Off
Forum Is Full Of Windows Bashers
Package Management Is Slower Than Pacman Or Yum

No You're not going to flame back saying I'm Ubuntu Bashing, you know why I am. Because Windows bashing is happening all the time, so I'm doing the same plain and simple.

mips
March 14th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I'm going to leave this forum soon because this stupid every day it's another Windows bashing topic.

I'm also tired of it but I would like to see the posters of these topics banned. It really is childish if you ask me.

The cafe has become a place for meaningless trivial crap!

Skripka
March 14th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I'm going to leave this forum soon because this stupid every day it's another Windows bashing topic. No wonder why Linux is not getting anywhere.

Bloated
Obscure Bugs Which Aren't Present In Other Distros Even With The Same Software Versions

No You're not going to flame back saying I'm Ubuntu Bashing, you know why I am. Because Windows bashing is happening all the time, so I'm doing the same plain and simple.

Stop hitting those poor nails on the head...you'll give them concussions.

bryonak
March 14th, 2009, 03:17 PM

Bloated

It might make sense to "counterbalance" the Windows bashing obviously taking place, but do you think an "eye for an eye" approach is better than trying to educate and appealing to reason?
And to some degree it's understandable. That's the way the human psyche works... people join a group and try to justify it by finding reasons why their group is better, confirming each other within the group's communication area (=forum in this case). But do you really have to bash Ubuntu on an Ubuntu forum?
Why make such a post before leaving instead of going in peace?
Wish you much fun with your next OS anyhow.

Besides, I notice way more anti Windows bashing posts than actual Windows bashing here ;)

Just for the sake of completeness, I made a general posting on
bloated Ubuntu vs efficient Arch here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6773154#post6773154) and here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6780736#post6780736).

Vince4Amy
March 14th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I posted that for the simple fact that there has been a huge, huge amount of Windows bashing in this past week. I thought I'd just share the other side of the show. Normally I keep stuff like that to myself as it really doesn't matter but I'm getting so angry with this Windows Bashing I just had to counterbalance it.

Whether these I've posted are real flaws that affect everyone or not, I posted "my experience" with Ubuntu just like "their experience" with Windows.

Calmatory
March 14th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Guess it is cool to bash the mainstream. Too bad that the people who bash, dont really understand that Ubuntu is the Windows of linux distros. Linux rips off Unix!!! :|

People should relax.

pirate_tux
March 14th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Windows is just a primitive, obsolete, bloated, back-doored, full of bugs and insecure "Operating System".

So what's the problem of telling people the true?

Eisenwinter
March 14th, 2009, 04:05 PM
But do you really have to bash Ubuntu on an Ubuntu forum?
He wasn't bashing Ubuntu, he was pointing out several flaws.

Bashing Ubuntu would be like "oh, Ubuntu sucks, I couldn't open X program in it, so it sucks".

Just like "Microsoft stole this, they're so bad, they suck" is Microsoft bashing, while "Well, Windows lets everyone run as root, and is therefore a little less secure with it's approach" is not bashing.

Sand & Mercury
March 14th, 2009, 04:11 PM
ITT: Pot calling the kettle black.

oasmar1
March 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Just like how BSODs were pretty much killed in XP - when a computer does crash atleast the BSOD provides information on how to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Also, I wish Linux would steal some things from Microsoft.(this is my opinion so don't say I am wrong because you can't)

The file structure - I just prefer the way Windows stores the main file in "Program Files", installs any DLLs in the "Windows" folder, and puts all user data in the AppData folder. Ofcourse it could be improved if a Linux version was created.
The GUI, yes the Linux GUI looks fantastic, but anybody who uses Linux has to conceed that it does feel like it is all made up of different pieces, where as Windows feels more like a single thing. There is too much inconsistency between parts of the OS.
Control Panel, in Windows 7, it really is fantastic, everything is ALMOST exactly where you expect it to be.
The font rendering, I expect you all to say "But the Linux rendering is closer to the real thing", but to be honest, the Windows font rendering is the easiest to read.

Windows is a fantastic Operating System which does not deserve the bashing it gets, if NT was ever opensourced, I am sure that it would be just as well coded as Linux. It is pretty much a microkernel, which is very hard to program.

Another thing, is that many people seem to keep saying that the registry should be removed. The registry is actually one of the best things about Windows, it is VERY fast. The alternative would be to use normal files, which would make no improvement in speed. It is the same as using a database for a website. People state after years of use the registry becomes slow, but really, even after years the registry will never get that big that it will actually slow the computer down significantly. I would say that the registry would cause a decrease in speed by a max of 10seconds for boot, the rest is just all the programs people run at start up which increases as time goes on.

I would just like to know why Windows Vista and 7 are slower than XP. I know that XP is very old, but it is not like the extra security should make the OS slower. Why does it need 8GB for an install? There is not that much added to Vista, almost everything that is possible in Vista can be done in XP.

FLMKane
March 14th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I posted that for the simple fact that there has been a huge, huge amount of Windows bashing in this past week. I thought I'd just share the other side of the show. Normally I keep stuff like that to myself as it really doesn't matter but I'm getting so angry with this Windows Bashing I just had to counterbalance it.

Whether these I've posted are real flaws that affect everyone or not, I posted "my experience" with Ubuntu just like "their experience" with Windows.

I'll take your word for it. But seriously, when did you migrate from windows? I did it in February, and Ubuntu is WAAAY faster, LESS bloated, etc.

Maybe when I get more advanced i'll try something like Debian.

Grant A.
March 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Ubuntu has BSODs, they're called Kernel Panics, though.

Dekkon
March 14th, 2009, 04:42 PM

Bloated

While 1, and 4 are opinions, I'll agree with you on many points, especially on the bugs, which KDE is full of on Kubuntu.

On Topic: My school has been doing this for the past, how long? While it's not something that was integrated, it certainly was possible with 3rd party tools and has already been implemented about.

Somebody call the WHAMBULANCE! :-({|=

bryonak
March 14th, 2009, 04:42 PM
He wasn't bashing Ubuntu, he was pointing out several flaws.

Bashing Ubuntu would be like "oh, Ubuntu sucks, I couldn't open X program in it, so it sucks".

Just like "Microsoft stole this, they're so bad, they suck" is Microsoft bashing, while "Well, Windows lets everyone run as root, and is therefore a little less secure with it's approach" is not bashing.

Taking the thread even more off topic... I was under the impression that both Vince4Amy and me thought he was doing some Ubuntu bashing, just on a different standard (without using bad language for a start).

Also, no anti Microsoft message in this thread holds a tone similar to what you wrote. The title "...rips off..." is the worst language used on the anti Microsoft side (the "pro" Microsoft side doesn't use nicer phrasing either).

I posted that for the simple fact that there has been a huge, huge amount of Windows bashing in this past week.
I didn't visit much during this week... I find the reaction in this particular thread a bit strong, that's why I replied at all.

Umm... what's the point of this thread again? Ah yes...
I think making improvements you see working well in other operating systems is a very good thing. There might be some strife with claims of originality, and IMO one shouldn't tout a feature innovative and visionary if it has been implemented in other systems for years... but that shouldn't stop anyone from implementing good features.

Windows is a fantastic Operating System which does not deserve the bashing it gets...

True, but it's not about facts, rather about group dynamics.
Personally I think that Microsoft does deserve bashing, albeit rather for their business tactics than for their software engineering.

Another thing, is that many people seem to keep saying that the registry should be removed.
Have you actually ever had to program for Windows? I tried a bit of registry conversion once (only once, but that was enough) and my opinion is that anything is better than the implementation of the registry in XP.
Can't speak about Vista/7 though.

I would just like to know why Windows Vista and 7 are slower than XP. I know that XP is very old, but it is not like the extra security should make the OS slower.
It's probably slower because of the same reason why Firefox3 is slower than Firefox1: features and overhead (which is not a bad thing, we get faster hardware as well). Security plays a role too, since constantly monitoring the system introduces additional overhead.
One popular argument is to equalize the new features with bloat, which then emphasizes the resulting slowdown ;)

forrestcupp
March 14th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Like others have stated, Guest Mode has pretty much been around since at least XP.

The case could be made that when Linux got WM's and DE's that include a task bar with a main menu and notification area with the time in it, windows with file, edit, view, and help menus with buttons that look like an X to close, a box to maximize, an underscore to minimize to the task bar, and a whole host of other similar things, that Linux copied MS Windows.

Let up on them a little already. Everyone copies everyone else. If someone tried to come up with something completely unique, it wouldn't be usable.

ice60
March 14th, 2009, 05:02 PM
what's the linux version called that was copied? i like those kind of programs - SteadyState, Deep Freeze, Returnil etc.

Ozor Mox
March 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Yes, because the way to respond to Windows bashing on this forum is to bash Ubuntu back in some kind of midguided "revenge" on us Ubuntu users.

God, some of the posts have been so strongly anti-Windows AND anti-Linux/Ubuntu this past week I'm starting to wonder what's going on here...

We don't need to stop bashing Windows. We don't need to stop bashing Linux. And we don't need to stop bashing Windows or Linux bashers.

We need to stop bashing altogether please. That would be just grand!

ice60
March 14th, 2009, 05:40 PM
bash away lol.

someone please tell me what they copied!!!!!!! i'm waiting to find out before i watch WSBKs.

oasmar1
March 14th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Have you actually ever had to program for Windows? I tried a bit of registry conversion once (only once, but that was enough) and my opinion is that anything is better than the implementation of the registry in XP.
Can't speak about Vista/7 though.

Hmm, I do code a bit for Windows (more of a web-developer) and I didn't find it difficult to use, the thing about registry is that you don't even have to use it at all, if you are more comfortable using static files then as I stated before, the users AppData folder can be used. I find the registry is better for many things, like settings. I find it far easier to just save the data in the CURRENT_USER if it is something like which language the user would like to use.
I do program on Vista/7 so there might be improvements which were not present in XP.

SuperSonic4
March 14th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Bloated

Pacman <3

I only ever used gnome briefly on ubuntu before using kubuntu which, once on kde 4.2 wasn't really buggy but it was before then, I've never really liked suse or fedora (they just didn't feel right) and so now I'm on arch and know that much more about the OS in general thanks to it's setup. apt has nothing on pacman imo.
Windows is OK, it's not as good as arch but it's usually just there in case I mis-tinker on linux xD - the worst thing is the start up time from logging in until I can use it properly and ntfs

zakany
March 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM

It's childish.

Skripka
March 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Pacman <3

I only ever used gnome briefly on ubuntu before using kubuntu which, once on kde 4.2 wasn't really buggy but it was before then, I've never really liked suse or fedora (they just didn't feel right) and so now I'm on arch and know that much more about the OS in general thanks to it's setup. apt has nothing on pacman imo.
Windows is OK, it's not as good as arch but it's usually just there in case I mis-tinker on linux xD - the worst thing is the start up time from logging in until I can use it properly and ntfs

Ubuntu should really just drop the 6 month release, drop apt, drop the full DE idea...and go to rolling release, pacman, and KISS. Oh, wait... :D

ice60
March 14th, 2009, 05:46 PM
well i think you're all morons for thinking linux has this and it was copied. linux doesn't have a goback feature. if it does what's it called?

edit
i'm not waiting to find out the name, i'm going to watch the motorbike racing, i do want to know what the feature is called in linux though, i want to use it :)

Yownanymous
March 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Well we can all sit smugly at the thought that M$ are running out of ideas... Soon, digital and economic death. :twisted:

yse
March 14th, 2009, 05:54 PM

I think I will do the same.

If I try to explain/critic/debate my opinions linux funboys trolls get offended and they report me at every post.

I think that Windows/Mac bashing is made with moderators accept. They accept it.

swoll1980
March 14th, 2009, 05:54 PM
This is silly. Almost everything you do in Linux was "ripped off" of someone, the whole GUI, file managers, log in screens, taskbars, the "desktop", graphical installers, "folders", 3d compositing window managers,the min, max, and close buttons on your window borders,the windows themselves, notification area, the list would go on forever.

kidux
March 14th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I posted that for the simple fact that there has been a huge, huge amount of Windows bashing in this past week.
I've been around for a while, and I cannot remember a time when there was this much anti-MS sentiment in the form of "M$ Winbloz sucks!!11!!1".

People need to wise up and realize that all companies "borrow" ideas from eachother. Car manufacturers do it, software companies do it, everyone. It's how things get improved. 1 company looks at another and says "I like that, but it would be better if it was like this". That is how technology evolves and gets better, by building on the previous versions and ideas.

With that being said, some companies do resort to underhanded techniques to get what they want, MS being one of them, but that's not going to be fought by making these kinds of threads. First and foremost, vote with your pocketbook, and I mean there don't use the software at all, don't just pirate it cuz that doesn't fix things. If enough people made informed choices about these things, the companies would have to change their stance and practices or loose to much business.

Vince4Amy
March 14th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Well we can all sit smugly at the thought that M$ are running out of ideas... Soon, digital and economic death. :twisted:

M$ never heard of that, please educate me because I've never heard of a company called M$.

Simian Man
March 14th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I agree with Vince. The biggest selling point of Ubuntu vs. other distros (arguably the only selling point) was the great community. This place has gone downhill. I guess that's the price you pay for being popular.

Skripka
March 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I agree with Vince. The biggest selling point of Ubuntu vs. other distros (arguably the only selling point) was the great community. This place has gone downhill. I guess that's the price you pay for being popular.

I've seen this on many forums over the years--February-March tends to be when cabin fever sets in...or there are academic involvements at schools, what have you....and people tend to be extra pissy.

If things don't settle down somewhat by Jaunty-then I'd be worried.

Yownanymous
March 14th, 2009, 06:25 PM
M$ never heard of that, please educate me because I've never heard of a company called M$.

Oh, it's the more realistic term for a certain Washington-based company...

ice60
March 14th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hey there! Here we go again... Guest mode this time...
The complete story... (http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/ff_pcsafeguard.asp)
i was wondering what the linux goback software is called because i'd like to use it :)

i'm starting to think not one person has read the link in the first post, it's about software which reverts a computer to a previously stored state every time it reboots. what is the name of the linux software it copies?

smbm
March 14th, 2009, 06:29 PM

Ditto.

MS bashing is getting pretty old now.

Twitch6000
March 14th, 2009, 06:35 PM

Bloated

Finally someone speaks up around here...

Artificial Intelligence
March 14th, 2009, 06:46 PM
...and it ends here.

Thread closed.