PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to set forcedeth driver parameters to counter slow internet

Gloria81
March 14th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I have an Aus M3N78-EM motherboard. The GeForce 8200 chipset handles the wired Ethernet connection. Internet was extremely slow via the wired connection and normal via a wireless connection, also under Windows XP. By experimenting in Windows XP, using a separate network card, I found that my router, provided by my ISP, can only handle 10 MBps connections. By changing the settings in the Windows XP chipset driver to 10 MBps full duplex, I got full speed Internet via the wired connection as well.

When trying to implement the same solution in Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) I got stuck and need help.

I checked following:
- Networkmanager. Does not allow changing of these settings
- Driver module, I found this is called forcedeth and has version 0.61 on Intrepid Ibex. I could find no interface to change the settings of the hardware via this driver module. According to various posts, the way to pass settings to a driver module is by changing its parameters.
- Driver module source code. I downloaded the nForce driver archive from the NVidia website (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.23.html). By looking at the source code I found that the parameters of interest to me are (probably) speed_duplex and autoneg. These are set to 0 and 1 respectively and should be changed to 2 and 0.
- I tried to compile the source code to a module (using the approach from http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/compiling-linux-kernel-module.html only using the header files) but this generated a lot of errors. This blocked the way to make a modified version of the module with different default settings.
- According to various posts, parameters for modules in Ubuntu can be set in the /etc/modprobe.d/options file. I added the most likely entry, a new line with "options forcedeth speed_duplex=2 autoneg=0", but this did not result in a working internet connection
- According to other posts, parameters for modules in Ubuntu can be passed as boot options in the form module.parameter=value. I changed the entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst by adding the two parameters, but at boot they were not recognized and disregarded
- According to still other posts, parameters for modules in Ubuntu should be passed as options to the installer. Some more reading learned me that Ubuntu comes with a Ubiquity script, tying together various Debian installation tools with a nice UI. Little chance to find where to enter the options.

I would appreciate help and can think of two directions:
- How can I compile the forcedeth.c file into a module
- How can I change the default settings of forcedeth without recompiling the module

chili555
March 14th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Without knowing what errors you encountered, it's hard to say what you need to do to correctly compile from a tarball.

The usual way to change parameters on an ethernet card is a command line tool called ethtool. I suggest opening a terminal and doing:
sudo ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex full autoneg onIf that fixes your problem, we can make it permanent.

You can learn more about ethtool by reading the handy manual:
man ethtool

Gloria81
March 15th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hi Chili555,

Great! This brings my wired internet to normal speed. Please advise how to make this permanent.

This was what "sudo ethtool eth0" returned after the command you advised:
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 10Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 3
Transceiver: external
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: g
Wake-on: d
Link detected: yes

chili555
March 25th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Please advise how to make this permanent.Oops! I apologize for missing your request. Please do:
sudo gedit /etc/rc.localAdd a line above exit 0:
ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex full autoneg onCheck your work twice, save and close. Upon boot, the changes will be applied automagically.