PDA

View Full Version : I Need Your Opinion For This Question - Ethical Behavior

tdrusk
March 14th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Are the people that behave ethically in cyberspace communities usually the most respected? For instance:
Bob.Cache is always very helpful and tries to follow all the rules. He posts an equal amount as iRulezU, who helps, but occasionally says offensive things that may aggravate or humor the other people in the community.

Darn, I forgot to make the poll. Can someone put that up there?

doas777
March 14th, 2009, 05:06 AM
well, ethics and societal standards are subjective, and change drastically from person to person. so some people would say yea, and others nay.

I personally wonder why some people insist on calling people out for attacking microsoft on the forums. the person never defends microsoft (at least not a ton), but they do attack the MS-hater. granted neither position in that argument is terribly laudable, but hey....

one final thought. you used the word 'offensive'. offense is also subjective. People don't actually have the right to not experience things that they don't want to. people don't like bad news, but they usually need to hear/see it. you (well not you, but a given person) have only one choice if you are 'offended': change the channel.

hansdown
March 14th, 2009, 05:11 AM
well, ethics and societal standards are subjective, and change drastically from person to person. so some people would say yea, and others nay.

I personally wonder why some people insist on calling people out for attacking microsoft on the forums. the person never defends microsoft (at least not a ton), but they do attack the MS-hater. granted neither position in that argument is terribly laudable, but hey....

one final thought. you used the word 'offensive'. offense is also subjective. People don't actually have the right to not experience things that they don't want to. people don't like bad news, but they usually need to hear/see it. you (well not you, but a given person) have only one choice if you are 'offended': change the channel.

That's very deep doas777.

Thankyou.

skillllllz
March 14th, 2009, 05:18 AM

Possibly a little OT, but your last statement reminded one of life's truths: that we have no control over others, only our reactions.

doas777
March 14th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I am know for my flair for the over-dramatic. lol. thanks for taking it in the right light.

My dad used to say much the same thing

Firestem4
March 14th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Its not very constructive but it has some relevance

http://www.penny-arcade.com/docs/internetdickwad.jpg