PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Looking for a File Organizer

Bubtottle
March 13th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Hello

I am looking for a way to organize all the files on my computer so that they are easily accessible, searchable and able to be categorized. Basically, I'm looking for a program like Amarok but, rather than only containing music files, one that can organize all file types. The program doesn't need to actually run the files itself - a preview would be nice but not necessary - but it would be good if it could launch a program that could run the files.

For example, I have a number of PDF documents scattered around various folders. The program I am looking for would list all the documents together so that I could then tag, categorize and search through them. Similarly, I would do the same thing with pictures, movies and music files. If I made a category called "The Beatles", then into that could be put PDFs about the Beatles plus their music and some pictures related to the band.

This may sound like a simple folder hierarchy but the main feature that makes it different to that is that the files MUST stay where they were originally. I do not want an overly bloated program that begins copying all my files to its own secret location, thereby halving the space left on my hard drive.

So, in summary, what I am looking for is a program like your standard image or music organizer that also organises other files. It would be similar to the library idea in Windows 7 but on its own, not attached to a file browser.

If anyone knows of such a program, please do not hesitate to post a link here.

Bubtottle
May 16th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Bump?

adrianx
May 16th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Have you tried Tracker yet? (Applications/Add/Remove...)

It takes a while to index, though, and you will probably have to enable indexing first. Unfortunately, I cannot give you better instructions because I don't normally use Tracker myself.

Edit:
I have just installed it. The first thing I had to do was to go to System > Preferences > Search and Indexing and select "Enable Indexing". After that, a looking glass icon appeared in my notification area. Right-clicking it will give you options.

It doesn't do everything that you want, but it does have some of those features.

alex@HPC6710b
February 21st, 2011, 03:34 PM
I'm looking exactly for the same software.

I tried googling, used key words such as: label, file organizer, desktop search; and many more all for nothing but dissapointment.

It is hard to believe that there is no Ubuntu software with the desired functionality described above. I hope I just don't know how to search for it...

Any ideas? Anyone?

mister_p_1998
February 21st, 2011, 03:42 PM
Use to use a program on Windows years ago called Smartcat to catalog all my backup CD's. That was great, you could search for a wildcard and it told you it was on CD37 or whatever. Would be nice in Linux.

Frogs Hair
February 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM
You may want to look at Catfish in the software center , it is a search and indexing tool .

Catfish may require installation of additional programs , so read the additional information and visit the site .

alex@HPC6710b
February 21st, 2011, 04:06 PM
AS far as I understand, Catfish is a frontend for multiple search engines. Unfortunately none of the supported search engines supports labels/categories (AFAIK)...