PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox 3.0.7 pretty much dead

allspiritseve
March 13th, 2009, 11:24 PM
OK, I have firefox 3.0.7 on my laptop. I assume it must have been upgraded by Synaptic, because I didn't manually upgrade. I have the following problems:

Home page doesn't show up
Bookmarks are gone (and can't import from backups).
Can't hit submit buttons
Ctrl+T opens a new tab, with the text from the old tab (very odd behavior)

Any ideas? What can I do to fix this? Is there a way to downgrade?

Cory

AlexDudko
March 13th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Strange, non of the problems with my FF 3.0.7. Everything works just fine.

allspiritseve
March 13th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I did start firefox as root before this happened, think that could have anything to do with it?

gjoellee
March 13th, 2009, 11:43 PM
try this in the terminal:

firefox &

allspiritseve
March 13th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Nope, same problems, though I can click submit buttons now. (That may have been a problem with firebug or something, I disabled all my add-ons to see if that helped)

allspiritseve
March 15th, 2009, 04:35 AM
I deleted my profile and restarted, and everything is working. Just have to reinstall all my extensions...

phantom3113
March 15th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I did start firefox as root before this happened, think that could have anything to do with it?

I believe that could have been it (though can't be certain). I've heard accounts of people that run graphical programs through sudo (or root) and end up messing something up. If you run gksudo next time, it shouldn't give you a problem. Granted, this is assuming you ran "sudo" initially anyway :P

allspiritseve
March 15th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I believe that could have been it (though can't be certain). I've heard accounts of people that run graphical programs through sudo (or root) and end up messing something up. If you run gksudo next time, it shouldn't give you a problem. Granted, this is assuming you ran "sudo" initially anyway :P
I usually run gksudo, but maybe I was being lazy at the time... dunno.

pizpot
March 16th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I just updated ubuntu 8.10 and got Firefox 3.0.7 and firefox wants to be restarted even if I do. I rebooted. I did not run it with sudo. I assume nuking my .mozilla folder will do it, but it would be much nicer to know the actual fix, but I could not find it on mozilla's site yet. Cheers.

Edit: I renamed my .mozilla folder and problem solved. I had already lost my add-ons, but bookmarks were fine. I do not notice any problem except for the restart ribbon bobbing up and down.

I did void my firefox warrenty, I guess. I went to about:config and searched for "sessions" and had set:

browser.sessionstore.enabled;false
browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash;false

because that is the only way to be sure the last version would never show where you have been, to the next person to run it from the same linux account. ("always clear my data on exit" with all checked was not enough)

GDent
March 16th, 2009, 10:10 PM
probably my odd firefox (3.0.6) behaviour is somehow related:

sometimes rightclick->open_in_tab opens add_to_favourites or mailto: dialogs, which leaves me in a rather confused and annoyed state.

rm -rf .mozilla ist not an option.

my config is default, except additional nocscript, adblock, stumble.