PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Which linux version is best for my ps3?

Nitrozzy7
March 13th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Hello, I have the 60g version ps3 and I've installed xubuntu. My screen runs on SD and nothing works ok. For instance, network doesn't work, windows on my desktop are shown only partially (probably got lost in translation or somewhere I can't see them) and -not ps3 related- my printer doesn't seem to inject ink on paper although sometimes does, but not when I'm intend to use it, note that the printer wasn't on duty for 4 years, the ink seems to be injected all inside the printer except the paper and it's hooked on a laptop. My printer is a Hp deskjet 825c. Back to my title question: Which linux version is best for my ps3?

p.s. I am sorry if my thread is confusing, but I am more... :confused:

robertneville777
March 19th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Hello, I have the 60g version ps3 and I've installed xubuntu. My screen runs on SD and nothing works ok. For instance, network doesn't work, windows on my desktop are shown only partially (probably got lost in translation or somewhere I can't see them) and -not ps3 related- my printer doesn't seem to inject ink on paper although sometimes does, but not when I'm intend to use it, note that the printer wasn't on duty for 4 years, the ink seems to be injected all inside the printer except the paper and it's hooked on a laptop. My printer is a Hp deskjet 825c. Back to my title question: Which linux version is best for my ps3?
I have 9.04 Alpha 4 on my PS3, and wireless works out of the box, and also thunar, which failed to run on xubuntu 8.10. So if you can either wait for 9.04 to officially be released, or get the kubuntu 9.04 PS3 iso, and install xfce, most of your problems would be solved. Also, psubuntu.com is the best for this type of stuff.

As for the printer, I've never messed around with those connected to a PS3, hahaha!

Alright hope that helps, so peace!

zanemccaig
March 19th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Why bother using Xubuntu a ps3 def has enough ram to do fullblown Ubuntu and I personally havent done it but Ubuntu is what I have heard as well. Youtube it ive seen some stuff on there about it.

snkiz
March 19th, 2009, 03:10 AM
running Ubuntu 8.10 on an 80 gig ps3 everything works o.t.b except compiz. But I hear there are workarounds, I was to busy getting the controllers to work to follow it up. I also read there is a way to use the otherwise locked graphics ram as swap. All of this info I found on psbuntu forums or yellowdog.

Nitrozzy7
March 22nd, 2009, 09:59 AM
Thnx! I'll check on psubuntu, wish me luck! http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif