PDA

View Full Version : WTH is Windows Logo test?

amitabhishek
March 13th, 2009, 07:50 AM
OK here is a brief history, while on an Airport last week I bought a Linux magazine with two distros (Suse 11.1 & Sabayon 4) thrown in as a freebie.
Since I have nothing much to do in office today I decided to give Suse a spin. The company policy forbids me to install any other OS other than Windows. I thought to install Virtualbox but WTH Windows is screaming as if I am going to detonate an Atom Bomb saying Virtualbox has failed the Logo(!) test.

Any ideas please!

Eisenwinter
March 13th, 2009, 09:53 AM
What version of Windows is it?

Also, consider moving this to General Help subforum, as it is a support request.

amitabhishek
March 13th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Oops...Mods kindly move it.

BTW its XP

Eisenwinter
March 13th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Do you have a "proceed anyway" or "continue" option, or does it force you to cancel the installation?

Johnsie
March 13th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Sounds like the IT people don't want you installing untrusted applications. If you can justify installing the application then I suggest you speak to them.

Most IT departments don't really want the user having full control of a computer because most users don't know enough about security and malware.

amitabhishek
March 13th, 2009, 11:57 AM
^^ Since its a laptop I have the admin rights for this machine.

It did give "Proceed anyway" option & after 5 warnings I was able to install virtual box. However I was wondering what this warning was...? Does M$ hate freeware(s) from Sun so much...:D?

jimi_hendrix
March 13th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Sounds like the IT people don't want you installing untrusted applications. If you can justify installing the application then I suggest you speak to them.

Most IT departments don't really want the user having full control of a computer because most users don't know enough about security and malware.

a relative is not able to at least ge a version of IE with tabs on his work machine

rickyjones
March 13th, 2009, 02:12 PM
^^ Since its a laptop I have the admin rights for this machine.

It did give "Proceed anyway" option & after 5 warnings I was able to install virtual box. However I was wondering what this warning was...? Does M$ hate freeware(s) from Sun so much...:D?

More likely than not the warnings you saw were in regards to unsigned device drivers that Microsoft couldn't certify. Sun didn't provide a driver that Microsoft could verify compatibility with.

That warning is actually for your protection so you know what drivers are certified to work with Windows. As it stands, you should be fine.

And no, Microsoft doesn't hate freeware that much to put up a warning about it... otherwise 95% of the software on my laptop would throw up a funky warning during installation.

Thanks,
Richard

OrbJinzo
March 13th, 2009, 02:16 PM
This is an unsigned driver basically has microsoft hasnt put there made for windows vista xp 98 blah blah

Mehall
March 13th, 2009, 03:02 PM
This is an unsigned driver basically has microsoft hasnt put there made for windows vista xp 98 blah blah

Seconded. Just Install anyway.

myusername
March 13th, 2009, 04:08 PM
all it is is that windows doesn't recognize virtualbox and doesn't trust it. its still ok to install. think of it as the earlier version of UAC

amitabhishek
March 13th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks everyone esp. Exilim that was indeed a valuable info.