PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu connecting to wireless network automatically

Kid Charlemagne
March 13th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Hi,

I just started using Ubuntu. It came with my netbook. I was wondering if there is a way to prevent it from automatically connecting my netbook to my wireless network. My linksys router is encrypted, but Ubuntu just asks for the network password once, and every subsequent time it connects without asking for the password. My encryption settings say never remember password, so I can't figure out why it is doing this. Any help you could offer me would be greatly appreciated.

lindsay7
March 13th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Do you have a button on your computer to turn off the wireless function?

Kid Charlemagne
March 13th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Actually yes, but this whole thing has me wondering about the security of my wireless network. I would just prefer that it asked me for my password every time. When I look under keys and encryption it has a listing for my wireless network, so I can't see why it connects automatically.

lindsay7
March 13th, 2009, 08:31 PM
My router does the same once I have the connection established. If you want a more secure connection you could set up the router so that it can only connect to a list of computers with certain mac addresses. You should be able to find that somewhere in the rourter setup.