PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Limited to low ram netbooks?!?

Primefalcon
March 13th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I've been looking around at books...

trying to find something that runs about 2g or more of ram and Linux, and you know what I'm having problems most of them are sticking bloody vista on it....

It seems like XP they have been reserving Linux to the sub 1g ram netbooks, XP I know is limited my MS crap licensing but Ubuntu isn't so why the hell do they seem to be limiting it?!?

swoll1980
March 13th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I've been looking around at books...

trying to find something that runs about 2g or more of ram and Linux, and you know what I'm having problems most of them are sticking bloody vista on it....

It seems like XP they have been reserving Linux to the sub 1g ram netbooks, XP I know is limited my MS crap licensing but Ubuntu isn't so why the hell do they seem to be limiting it?!?

Exclusive deals with Microsoft I'm sure

suitedaces
March 13th, 2009, 03:33 AM
It's probably an attitude of "let's make this model on the cheap, oh look, that OS is free, it'll do". Thankfully changing to Ubuntu has had the same effect as a hardware update, but I know I'll have a headache next time I need (well, want!) to upgrade.

Defrector
March 13th, 2009, 03:34 AM
I agree with swoll. :(

To add, sometimes capitalism fails to fulfill its moral duty; this could be one of them.

bashveank
March 13th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Why don't you just buy a laptop with Vista and instal Ubuntu over it?

Mehall
March 13th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Why don't you just buy a laptop with Vista and instal Ubuntu over it?

If you evidence saying no to the EULA and tell MS, you can get something like $50 or somehting back from them. (provided you don't install Vista once you get the computer, and install linux instead)

Sealbhach
March 13th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Dell do some larger machines with Ubuntu.

Also System76.

smartboyathome
March 13th, 2009, 04:01 AM
There is even ZaReason which sells Linux machines. :D

Primefalcon
March 13th, 2009, 04:02 AM
If you evidence saying no to the EULA and tell MS, you can get something like $50 or somehting back from them. (provided you don't install Vista once you get the computer, and install linux instead)
Sounds good, but I doubt somehow it'd be that easy to just get your money back.

They forget if it were just the price we'd be running windows pirated, the fact is the people using Linux are typicaly using it because they like it better....

Tux Aubrey
March 13th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I think the netbook market is still evolving. OEMs are struggling with both specs and OS issues and are trying to find the "sweet spot" for pricing. They don't really seem to be entirely sure about their market - are these second/third machines for existing PC/Laptop users or are they are genuinely new segment? The "toy" interfaces on early model Eees - and their marketing - suggested they were aiming at pre-teens. HP went the other way and positioned the mini-note in the corporate market.

I find the whole thing really interesting.

An announcement today (http://apcmag.com/kogans-netbook-is-it-a-contender.htm)(in Australia) has a local "manufacturer" releasing a very generic looking netbook with 2Gb RAM, a 6-cell battery and a 160GB HDD preloaded with gOS - with no Windows option at all. It is priced competitively with the Acer One and might be a good deal (if build quality is better than it looks!)