PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu not installing with Live CD

Jphenow
March 13th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Okay so originally after doing some updates I reboot and get an error about not having an image to reboot from "/dev/disk/by-uuid" by the looks of it, pretty common. I tinkered and felt like I had more problems, so I popped in the Kubuntu 8.10 install disc and I was just going to reinstall since I got these errors pretty quick after a clean install. Now when I put in the Live CD to reinstall kubuntu, I choose the Install option and then I end up at a terminal and never get the GUI or install prompts.... can I get some help? I'm usually okay fixing things on my own and searching but when the live disc doesn't boot correctly I'm lost

inobe
March 13th, 2009, 03:14 AM
tell us more about the errors and what it says in terminal, something grub ?

Jphenow
March 13th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Also I tried using the Ubuntu install disc and I received similar results. Along with that I tried startx and it's fatal error was that there were no screens...? Anyone got any clues I'm getting unhappy.

I looked at the top of the terminal feed and it said some things about having not enable IOMMP --i believe that's the correct acronym. and that it would cost 64mb I didn't take the top things to mean much. Really it just looks like I signed on to a terminal.

Jphenow
March 13th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Also I know it's not GRUB because this a live cd...It would never reach the bootloader because it opens up the cd first. I thought that originally too

I've also Tried making a new CD for the possibility one or both of them were damaged and that failed also.

Some help would be greatly appreciated - I rather require the use of my Linux.

Thanks in advance

Jphenow
March 13th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I also have now tried manually editing the Live CDs xorg.conf to specify a generic monitor, screen, keyboard and video device. Still no go. Please? Anyone? I need the a linux back up and running =/