PDA

View Full Version : My Introduction: First Time I've Used Linux in Awhile

Wolfey
December 29th, 2005, 12:01 AM
(Giving a clear and descriptive title for a topic used for introducing oneself is a little tricky to do sometimes :p)

Hello. This is not the first time I have used a distribution of Linux (which was a few years ago at a tech school, in a Linux class where we were working with Red Hat), but it is the first time I have had one properly working on a computer that I own - in this case, a recently-purchased laptop that had Ubuntu (5.04) preinstalled along with Windows XP (Professional, Service Pack 2).

I've been wanting to try out Linux since I first tried it out at school back then (that experience was also responsible for me choosing to switch to Mozilla Firefox from Internet Explorer), as I feel it would help to be experienced in the use of more than one operating system, as well as seeing what I can do in each.

I first tried to get various distributions of Linux to work on my older computer, but my attempts there were unsuccessful, although this may have been the fault of that computer's hardware: Most of the distributions on CD that I tried were just skipped over (at the time I thought it was from a problem in those distributions, but later found out that it was due to the CD-ROM drive, which went from intermittently picking up the disks to not picking up any CD at all, eventually requiring that drive to be replaced), and the ones that did manage to load had some issues with the hardware (probably due to hardware issues that were already present before trying out these distributions, like with the CD-ROM drive).

With the laptop, though, Ubuntu's working just fine, and it's been interesting seeing what I can do with it so far :)

poofyhairguy
December 29th, 2005, 09:10 AM
welcome. Hope you stay for a while.

Wolfey
December 29th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Thank you - I hope I'll be staying for a while as well :)

majikstreet
December 29th, 2005, 11:44 PM
where did you get the laptop?

Wolfey
January 13th, 2006, 08:27 PM
(Oops! I didn't subscribe to this thread when it was created, so I had no idea you replied to this - sorry about that :oops:)

I got it from LinuxCertified (http://www.linuxcertified.com/) - It's the LC2464 (http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lc2464.html) model.

The upgrades I got to it (in addition to what it already came with) were:
The mini-PCI card,
100 GB drive,
Dual-boot capability, with Windows XP Professional - although it's not listed there (it just says XP, but is actually XP Home Edition), you can get it, and
Custom partitioning - all but 5 GB was split evenly between Windows and Linux, and the remaining space was used for a FAT32 partition (so I can share data between the two).
So far, it's been working great for me :)

drucer
January 13th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Welcome! It's great to see new Ubuntu users!

curuxz
January 13th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Thats one nice lappy, cost a bit tho. You need to get something to get rid of that nasty xp ;)

Rackerz
January 13th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Welcome! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. I myself have just come back to using Ubuntu again.

majikstreet
January 14th, 2006, 12:09 AM
(Oops! I didn't subscribe to this thread when it was created, so I had no idea you replied to this - sorry about that :oops:)

I got it from LinuxCertified (http://www.linuxcertified.com/) - It's the LC2464 (http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lc2464.html) model.

The upgrades I got to it (in addition to what it already came with) were:
The mini-PCI card,
100 GB drive,
Dual-boot capability, with Windows XP Professional - although it's not listed there (it just says XP, but is actually XP Home Edition), you can get it, and
Custom partitioning - all but 5 GB was split evenly between Windows and Linux, and the remaining space was used for a FAT32 partition (so I can share data between the two).
So far, it's been working great for me :)
Nice!

I've done the same thing with not subscribing to threads that I've posted stuff that may need responding...

Price is... out of my price range, lol.

majikstreet

AMD64_N_Linux
January 14th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Welcome Back.

And you will be here for a long time, as in forever.

Once you have tasted the virus free, adware free, spyware free, enviroment of Linux, you will never go back.

I will make one suggestion.

Dont use your windows for internet access, AT ALL.

If you are an online gamer, you might feel that this is not possible, and you may be right, but my PCs have not been on the internet in Windows for 6 years now.:razz:

Azion
January 14th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Nice laptop!

Good to see another person back