PDA

View Full Version : Why was Killer Koala chosen for 9.10?

kevdog
March 13th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Killer Koala, or whatever ...... Koala. Seems like a lame name to me. I would have much more preferred the Kangaroo or Kermit, or the beloved Katydid, the beloved Kingfisher, the Moby Killer Whale, the CooCoo Kakarikis, the unsatiable Komodo dragon, the childlike Kookaburra, or Killed-Off Kronosaurus.

What Koala lover was appeased by this decision? Are Koala's even on the African continent?

TBOL3
March 13th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Well, I know that the Jackolope is certainly not on the African continent...

Primefalcon
March 13th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Who says they have to be on the African continent? hmm? last time I checked Ubuntu has gone worldwide...

thisllub
March 13th, 2009, 03:20 AM
If you have ever seen the claws on one you will know why it is a killer.

Primefalcon
March 13th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Actually it's not killer it's karmic koala

kevdog
March 13th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Koala bears have Karma? Yes its all becoming clear to me know!

Skripka
March 13th, 2009, 05:02 AM

Karma spreads in all manner of ways...kinda like herpes.

samjh
March 13th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Karma spreads in all manner of ways...kinda like herpes.

Koalas don't spread like herpes. ;)

thisllub
March 13th, 2009, 06:12 AM
This one had some karma
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do9AoKyjjQg

MikeTheC
March 13th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I believe "Mass-Murdering Manson 9.10" was rejected for some reason. ;)

Tux Aubrey
March 13th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Kangaroos, Kookaburras and Koalas are all Australian animals, not African.

What have you got against Koalas anyway?

MikeTheC
March 13th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I like koalas myself. Cute, cuddly little guys, loyal pets and the best home security that roasted beans and sauerkraut can buy.

Oh, and have I mentioned how children- and liquored-up-ol'-blind-as-a-bat-grandmother friendly they are?

Just remember... Moose bites can be nasty.

jespdj
March 13th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Do a simple Google search to find the answer to your question:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/02/ubuntu-910-is-named-karmic-koala-will-eat-tasty-eucalyptus.ars

"A savvy Koala knows that the best way to conserve energy is to go to sleep, and these days even servers can suspend and resume, so imagine if we could make it possible to build a cloud computing facility that drops its energy use virtually to zero by napping in the midday heat, and waking up when there's work to be done," Shuttleworth wrote in a mailing list post. "No need to drink at the energy fountain when there's nothing going on. If we get all of this right, our Koala will help take the edge off the bear market."

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2009-February/000536.html
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1831

Johnsie
March 13th, 2009, 10:11 AM
He could be a crack head who got hold of the wrong stuff.

s.fox
March 13th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Why was it chosen above other names though? Was their some kind of vote?

jespdj
March 13th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Why was it chosen above other names though? Was their some kind of vote?
No, there isn't a vote. Proposed release names are here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames). Big boss Mark Shuttleworth chooses a name. Read the links in my post above.

Chilli Bob
March 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Koalas don't spread like herpes. ;)

No, but they die from chlamydia.

http://www.ihbi.qut.com/news_events/ihbi_stories/koalas_chlamydia.jsp

(Just to depress everyone)

ELD
March 13th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Koalas are evil!
@kevdog they are in africa, heres a beaut captured in the south.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/clericvash/image0044.jpg

Swagman
March 13th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Why does that pic remind me of "Young Einstein" ?

Cue Icehouse.

Dougie187
March 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Lol why are you guys even arguing about Koalas... I don't remember seeing anyone complain about Drake, either that reffered to a Duck, or it referred to a mythical animal, a dragon. Though the latter is pretty sweet, so I like to pretend its the latter... Either way though. It either doesn't exist, or its lame.

gn2
March 13th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Who cares what the name is.
In fact I wish people would use the numbers instead, the names really annoy me and they're juvenile.

Probably just grumpy about it because I can never remember what number ties up with what name.

OrbJinzo
March 13th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I purpose that 9.10 be named lampooning Lobster!

Therion
March 13th, 2009, 06:17 PM
... I wish people would use the numbers instead, the names really annoy me and they're juvenile.
I hate the names as well... And I really don't think they do much to help promote Ubuntu but, whatever.

Take hope in the fact that, just as soon as I make my first million at my current day-gig, I'll start up and bankroll my own distro.

And believe you me: It won't have stupid, alliterative animal names. No siree.

ghindo
March 13th, 2009, 06:26 PM
We merely need to accept the code names for Ubuntu releases, as they are handed down by our benevolent overlord, Mark Shuttleworth. We should be so lucky that He considers us worthy enough to receive these names.

Primefalcon
March 13th, 2009, 10:04 PM
People get upset over the silliest things it's a fun little gimmick thing if you don't like the names, don't use them simple as that personaly i find thing a nice bit of comic relief

Mr. Picklesworth
March 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM
How can you consider it a lame name if you don't actually know what half of it is?

kevdog
March 14th, 2009, 02:12 AM
We were on Holiday in the great town of Townsville located in Queensland AUS. Driving on the opposite side of the road for the first time in my life, we visited a Billabong sanctuary located roughly 8 km from town.

In this Billabong, they had Koalas. In one of the demonstrations, the keepers actually let all members of the audience come up and hold the Koala (about 20 of us). The Koala was something like 13 years old -- particularly old for a Koala bear usually. I remember the smell of Eucalyptus and the oily texture of the fur when holding the small creature.

During this interlude, the Koala had the audacity to actually let out a shart (combination of sh** and fart) on my arm!!

Based on this experience alone and the decision to keep a Koala as the new "Mascot", I would move that the distro be renamed to:
Kurmudgeonly Koala!!

MikeTheC
March 14th, 2009, 03:40 AM
We were on Holiday in the great town of Townsville located in Queensland AUS.
Ah yes, Townsville. Imagine having to give your address to some over-the-phone organization. "Yeah, 123 Someplace Road, Townsville. Yes, it is a real city!" Anyhow, I digress... (Though, I can think of two cities right off the top of my head which have even worse names.) :o

I remember the smell of Eucalyptus and the oily texture of the fur when holding the small creature.
At least he didn't reek of Limburger cheese or something! :shock:

During this interlude, the Koala had the audacity to actually let out a shart (combination of sh** and fart) on my arm!!
What an endearing little anecdote. No doubt you had the urge to run right down to the local pet store and get a koala of your very own! ;)

I would move that the distro be renamed to:
Kurmudgeonly Koala!!
I second that motion.

bengoza
June 27th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Well you guys all noticed that the names are going in alphabetical order, right? Drake, Eft, Fawn, Gibbon, Heron, Ibex, Jackalope, Koala, etc. It's kinda fun to guess what they'll choose for X and Q and things like that. Maybe we'll get a Wolverine!

nmccrina
June 27th, 2009, 06:30 AM
*snip*

Just remember... Moose bites can be nasty.

A moose once bit my sister.

jespdj
June 27th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Well you guys all noticed that the names are going in alphabetical order, right? Drake, Eft, Fawn, Gibbon, Heron, Ibex, Jackalope, Koala, etc. It's kinda fun to guess what they'll choose for X and Q and things like that. Maybe we'll get a Wolverine!
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames

stinger30au
June 27th, 2009, 10:41 AM

no such thing as a Koala bear

Koala

It is a marsupial, not a bear

Dullstar
July 27th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Maybe we need a release called Yodeling Yeti!

Tclarkie
July 27th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I am from australia

koalas a alot rearer that kangaroos
they are alot cooler
Kangaroos are not karmic

lisati
July 27th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I don't remember seeing either any Koalas or Kangaroos when I was in Ashmore (not far from Surfers') three years ago. There were, however, plenty of parrots.

Dullstar
July 27th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Pecking Parrot?!

AllRadioisDead
July 27th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Rocking Rhinosirous.

Dullstar
July 27th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Varied Vulture