PDA

View Full Version : Intrepid LiveCD vs Fedora 10 LiveCD

measekite
March 13th, 2009, 01:23 AM
In my quest to find an upgrade to Feisty shortly I ran both Intrepid and Fedora 10 liveCDs for a while.

While I have been an Ubuntu user for 2 years and parftial to this forum and Ubuntu documentation and support I did not have a good experience with Intrepid. What follows are some short comments on each.

Intrepid LiveCD
Intrepid performed slow for a liveCD implementation. Intrepid did not install the appropriate resolution for my GForce 6600 nvidia card and I was left with very large fonts making it difficult to do very much. When I issued the commands to install the recommended nvidia driver the machine locked up. This is not improvement from what I went thru in Feisty.

The User and Groups did not behave correctly. After adding a few users I went to add them to some groups. When I check a couple of users adding them to a group the check marks did not sustain until I totally left the applet and then returned. This does not happen doing the same with Fedora.

The menu system was very much the same or similar to Feisty. I really do not see a whole lot of improvement that was visual. And of course the colors are the same and not to my liking.

Basically the best thing about Ubuntu is this forum.

Fedora 10 LiveCD

Fedora booted from the LiveCD faster and the OS ran much faster even from the liveCD. The drivers for my nvidia card installed automatically on boot up and with the correct resolution. The fonts were very nice.

The menu system was much more polished than Intrepid. I was really surprise because I thought Ubuntu was the leader in Open Source Linux and Fedora lagged behind but not based on my short experience.

The GUI package manager function OK and it seemed that most of the major applications were there. The desciptions of what they are made more sense to me.

The printer instlalled properly and all function worked like they were supposed to except for Gimp. I had to install Gutenprint and a ppd file to get it to work like it does now in Feisty. I did not test it but will before I make a go if I choose Fedora.

The applet for Users and Groups was more advanced and much nicer than Intrepid and worked flawlessly. It is easier to read and use and is much more straight forward.

Still Have Not Decided

I am looking for reasons to stay with Ubuntu but I cannot seem to find enough based on my knowledge of Linux. I only know what I see.

I would like to know what others think of these two. I do not want to consider other distros.

It just seems Fedora is more polished but the consensus of most Linux users is with Ubuntu. I am trying to find out why. Maybe that was based on the past and not the current I do not know.

Comments please :popcorn::popcorn:

masterkoppa
March 13th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Lately I've also been having the dilema of wanting to switch over to Fedora. My reasons are diferent so I really dont know if this will be helpful.

First of all, after reading alot of documentation I found that Fedora is a really hard-core Open Source. If it isn't open source you won't find it in the default repositories. Hence the need to go to third party repo's. Another thing is that Fedora is not Debian based, which means no more ".deb". The community also doesn't seen too friendly either. So if your not afraid of bleeding edge software and going OSS all the way, then by all means switch.

Otherwise, I would go with Ubuntu. Hope this helps.

Im Currently Testing with Jaunty and it seems very promising, specially in kubuntu.

measekite
March 13th, 2009, 04:00 AM
First of all, after reading alot of documentation I found that Fedora is a really hard-core

What do you mean by that?

Another thing is that Fedora is not Debian based, which means no more ".deb".

Is that a problem

The community also doesn't seen too friendly either.

Are you saying that the Fedora community is not too friendly?

Plesase clarrify what you said.

TBOL3
March 13th, 2009, 04:26 AM
1. Meaning that you won't find anything in their that's not open source. But then again, it looks like you got NVIDEA working out of the box, was it the OSS, or the proprietary drivers?

2. Well, ya. .deb is (sort of) the de facto standard (again, sort of, there is still .rpm, and other binaries, and compiling from source, but deb is, in my opinion, the most common package these days).

3. Ya, the fedora community is well known for being very rude to someone with a different opinion to them.

Dekkon
March 13th, 2009, 04:31 AM
1. Meaning that you won't find anything in their that's not open source. But then again, it looks like you got NVIDEA working out of the box, was it the OSS, or the proprietary drivers?

2. Well, ya. .deb is (sort of) the de facto standard (again, sort of, there is still .rpm, and other binaries, and compiling from source, but deb is, in my opinion, the most common package these days).

3. Ya, the fedora community is well known for being very rude to someone with a different opinion to them.

2: Actually RPM is the standard in LSB but I also believe DEB is most popular.

3: Fedoraforum can be quite the negative people some times, but go join and spread some joy. The developers on the mailing lists seem friendly though, that's what really counts.

Skripka
March 13th, 2009, 04:34 AM
IME,

Finding debian packages is easier than finding RPMs....I also found package managment much slower all around. Granted I only fiddled with it for about 4 hours of trying to install my "must-have" list of tools and update, before I threw in the towel and I tried a different frisbee.

TBOL3
March 13th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Dumb question, what does LSB stand for?

Also, one thing that I must give props to the fedora package manager for is a cue line. In ubuntu, if I am installing an app, and want to install another, I need to wait until the app finishes, and then go install it, in fedora, I can just make my selection, and the app will automatically install when the first one is done.

Icehuck
March 13th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Another thing is that Fedora is not Debian based, which means no more ".deb".

Is that a problem

RPM is the devil.

measekite
March 13th, 2009, 05:04 AM

1. I just booted the LiveCD and Fedroa installed the nvidia driver automatically.

3. As to the community; is that a reason to choose one over the other?

TBOL3
March 13th, 2009, 05:18 AM
1. Yes, but which driver? Theirs more then one.

3. Well, if you like the fedora guys, go over there, and have fun. If you don't, well go over there anyway, and have fun. Give it a go, and you might see what I mean.

cariboo
March 13th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I would suggest you use whatever suits you best, it shouldn't make any difference whether one forum is better than the other, whether debs or rpms are better. You are the one that is going to be using it. Try Fedora, if you don't like it you can always reinstall Ubuntu.

Jim

wolfen69
March 13th, 2009, 06:24 AM
i would also suggest mandriva. it also uses rpm's but takes a different approach to package management. very well put together.

i would just burn a stack of live cd's and try each one.

measekite
March 13th, 2009, 04:12 PM
1. Yes, but which driver? Theirs more then one.

3. Well, if you like the fedora guys, go over there, and have fun. If you don't, well go over there anyway, and have fun. Give it a go, and you might see what I mean.

I do not know which nvidia driver. How do I find out?

As far as the OS I am leaning towards Fedora because it is just more polished and seems more mature.

As far as forums, I like the tone and feel of the Ubuntu forum much better. It seems like the replies are far less propellarheadish and more detailed here where the respondent is not trying to prove how smart they are.

Not every one is that way but it only takes a few.

gn2
March 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM
You really need to compare the two distros as installed and fully configured systems.

Live CD's while useful are not the real thing.