PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on My Theme?

teamcoltra
March 12th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I saw this design back on life hacker a while back and really liked it, so I redesigned it with conky! I would love to get your critique. Btw the desktop is fully functional. 12|03 is the date x-01.44 is the time (the x- is just for show and I changed : to a . ) the warning sign in the middle is actually reflective of the weather. The bottom shows the current Memory and Swap usage.

http://www.TravisMccrea.com/DockingStation.tar.gz

days_of_ruin
March 13th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Nice!

Chewtoi
March 13th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Very nice indeed!
I wonder if one might do a steampunk-theme ins this sort of way... Would be awesome. ^^,

What Icon-pack are you using btw?

Vadi
March 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM
It's pretty good.

teamcoltra
March 13th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Very nice indeed!
I wonder if one might do a steampunk-theme ins this sort of way... Would be awesome. ^^,

What Icon-pack are you using btw?

SandUbuntu (which is also included in the tar.gz

UbuntuNerd
March 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM
very clean!!

Giant Speck
March 14th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I'd recommend a somewhat darker base_color. The white is too much of a contrast to the other colors of the theme.

EDIT: Aw, man! I lost my coffee cup with that post! Now it's just beans. :(

teamcoltra
March 15th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I'd recommend a somewhat darker base_color. The white is too much of a contrast to the other colors of the theme.

Well thank you for losing your cup of coffee to critique my theme! :)

I was messing with that setting before, my own problem with changing that from white to even off white... is that it messes with a lot of weird things like OpenOffice, and just all around makes different things unreadable. So while the contrast is a little extreme... The ends didn't justify the means.

blackened
March 15th, 2009, 06:01 AM

To everything, turn turn turn...

Really liking the idea of the theme. The full transparency of the panel makes it look really outta place, but unfortunately I don't have any suggestions as to how to fix that. Maybe a different panel-bg or wallpaper hack that gets rid of the ugly glass effect in exchange for something that blends better? Either way, definitely turn off shadows for the panel in CCSM and move the window list applet to the right.

Ben Crisford
March 15th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Very VERY nice ;).

The only thing I would suggest is making the bar at the top slightly more opaque.

Although it is a nice effect it is a bit too opaque at the moment.

listerdl
March 16th, 2009, 09:47 PM
what do you think of mine? (I spent ages making it and its perfect for what i use of the computer...)

teamcoltra
March 18th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Well if thats what you use your computer for than thats awesome. Its a little clustered and the black is too black for my taste (I typically use a dark blue, or add stripes through the black)

What did you use for the weather? Did you do that in conky too?

fela
March 18th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Sorry, but that wallpaper just makes my eyes go funny! I like the transparent panels though. I'm attaching a screenshot of my desktop in my reply if anyone's interested.:popcorn:

Ben Crisford
March 18th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Sorry, but that wallpaper just makes my eyes go funny! I like the transparent panels though. I'm attaching a screenshot of my desktop in my reply if anyone's interested.:popcorn:

Wow, I love those ones that look like mac os x, what theme is that? Or is it not a theme and i'm being dumb :s.

fela
March 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Wow, I love those ones that look like mac os x, what theme is that? Or is it not a theme and i'm being dumb :s.

It's the Oxygen icon theme that comes with KDE4. You can download just the icon theme though, google it I don't know the exact location(s). I got it when I installed KDE4. However I don't use those icons anymore, I've switched to the Ubuntu ultimate edition theme all round (icons, gtk, metacity).

Ben Crisford
March 19th, 2009, 02:33 PM
It's the Oxygen icon theme that comes with KDE4. You can download just the icon theme though, google it I don't know the exact location(s). I got it when I installed KDE4. However I don't use those icons anymore, I've switched to the Ubuntu ultimate edition theme all round (icons, gtk, metacity).

I might just be being dumb, but that looks like gnome to me :s, but the icons are like KDE.

I'm confused... :s

blackened
March 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I might just be being dumb, but that looks like gnome to me :s, but the icons are like KDE.

What's to be confused about? They're all just svg and png images. There are even pre-packaged themes on gnome-look that use most of the KDE 4 icons in Gnome.

Such as http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Oxygen+Refit+2?content=79756.

fela
March 19th, 2009, 04:38 PM

It is GNOME, with a KDE icon set installed. But I use the Ultimate Edition icons now, I prefer them. ;)

fela
March 19th, 2009, 04:41 PM
what do you think of mine? (I spent ages making it and its perfect for what i use of the computer...)

You must have very, very good eyes.:shock:

s.fox
March 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I saw this design back on life hacker a while back and really liked it, so I redesigned it with conky! I would love to get your critique. Btw the desktop is fully functional. 12|03 is the date x-01.44 is the time (the x- is just for show and I changed : to a . ) the warning sign in the middle is actually reflective of the weather. The bottom shows the current Memory and Swap usage.

http://www.TravisMccrea.com/DockingStation.tar.gz

I really like the theme, especially your wallpaper.

Very black. I don't think I could use it but looks nice enough

That is very nice.

Ben Crisford
March 19th, 2009, 05:53 PM

I know the icon theme though, its the way you have them on the little bar thing like on mac os x which I want to do.

But i'm too stupid :p.

s.fox
March 19th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Here is what my desktop looks like at the moment. What do you think?

blueamcat
March 19th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I do like the look of it. Darker themes are nice to use sometimes. Easier on the eyes. Good work!

Ben Crisford
March 19th, 2009, 09:58 PM

I like it alot :).

s.fox
March 19th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I do like the look of it. Darker themes are nice to use sometimes. Easier on the eyes. Good work!

I like it alot :).

Thanks for the positive comments. This is the first time I have ever attempted to change the appearance of my ubuntu. Much better than brown and orange. :D

tooralooryeaye
March 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Nice theme, the background really helps a lot

fela
March 19th, 2009, 11:48 PM
That is very nice.

Thanks. I set it up in about 10 minutes though, I think the ones that you spend least time on are the most usable and clean. That's just from my experience anyway. Like ages ago when I used feisty in 2007 I spent aaaaaages trying to get a 'leopard look' without compositing (cause I had a rubbish pre-geforce graphics card unable to even run compiz). I settled for a gnome-panel with a background that looked like a osx dock, which I made in gimp. It looked absolutely awful. I try to spend more time doing stuff on the computer than looking at the theme. (stress try to :lol:)

fela
March 19th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I know the icon theme though, its the way you have them on the little bar thing like on mac os x which I want to do.

But i'm too stupid :p.

You mean the dock at the bottom? That's a brilliant program called avant window navigator. It requires compositing (compiz or see below), which in turn requires a reasonably decent graphics card. I ran compiz with quite a few plugins on a Geforce FX5200 (very old and bad graphics card) and it ran reasonably smooth. If you're graphics card doesn't run compiz, to enable compositing on metacity (the 'ugly' window manager with no effects):
1) run gconf-editor in the terminal
2) navigate to apps > metacity
3) check 'enable_compositing' in the list that comes up

Now you are ready for Avant Window Navigator (awn). There's loads of tutorials on the web to set it up (it's even in synaptic, although if you want the latest version you should use the cvs/svn/git repository), just google 'tutorial avant window navigator' and you'll find it.

If you want the cool blue colour, in the awn preferences you can change the glass colour settings to your likings. AWN is much more flexible than the OSX dock in many respects (well obviously, seeing as it's open source).

fela
March 19th, 2009, 11:56 PM

Just one question: what's the need for the panel with the window list if you're using AWN?

s.fox
March 20th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Just one question: what's the need for the panel with the window list if you're using AWN?

I have the second panel simply because I feel that having a single panel makes is look to cluttered. Getting rid of it is an option, but I don't think it would look right.

By the way I have a cairo dock, not AWN (could never get it to work :D)

EDIT: I just got rid of the second panel and surprisingly it looks even better.

fela
March 20th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I have the second panel simply because I feel that having a single panel makes is look to cluttered. Getting rid of it is an option, but I don't think it would look right.

By the way I have a cairo dock, not AWN (could never get it to work :D)

EDIT: I just got rid of the second panel and surprisingly it looks even better.

Funny, I could never get the cairo-dock settings just right, but AWN was ./configure and go!:D

PS. wouldn't it look more cluttered with 2 panels than with one?

Ben Crisford
March 21st, 2009, 12:54 AM
You mean the dock at the bottom? That's a brilliant program called avant window navigator. It requires compositing (compiz or see below), which in turn requires a reasonably decent graphics card. I ran compiz with quite a few plugins on a Geforce FX5200 (very old and bad graphics card) and it ran reasonably smooth. If you're graphics card doesn't run compiz, to enable compositing on metacity (the 'ugly' window manager with no effects):
1) run gconf-editor in the terminal
2) navigate to apps > metacity
3) check 'enable_compositing' in the list that comes up

Now you are ready for Avant Window Navigator (awn). There's loads of tutorials on the web to set it up (it's even in synaptic, although if you want the latest version you should use the cvs/svn/git repository), just google 'tutorial avant window navigator' and you'll find it.

If you want the cool blue colour, in the awn preferences you can change the glass colour settings to your likings. AWN is much more flexible than the OSX dock in many respects (well obviously, seeing as it's open source).

Wow, thanks so much.

I'm off to get my beauty sleep now (god knows I need it), but i'll finish sorting it out in the morning.

Cheers again ;).

s.fox
March 21st, 2009, 01:54 PM
I did decide to get rid of it. Doesn't look to cluttered after all. ;)