PDA

View Full Version : cheap webdesign

chris200x9
March 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM
where can I go to find cheap webdesign? I was looking and everything is over $100, I'm thinking of starting a small business and have next to no money to start it but I need a website. Is there anyplace I can go for a CHEAP website? I already have hosting and my design needs are very simple. If I can't go any place to get one cheap enough is there any place I could go were I could negotiate with people i.e $30 + 5% of my company.

Zlatan
March 12th, 2009, 09:25 PM
where can I go to find cheap webdesign? I was looking and everything is over $100, I'm thinking of starting a small business and have next to no money to start it but I need a website. Is there anyplace I can go for a CHEAP website? I already have hosting and my design needs are very simple. If I can't go any place to get one cheap enough is there any place I could go were I could negotiate with people i.e $30 + 5% of my company.

google sites?

billgoldberg
March 12th, 2009, 09:27 PM
install a cms (joomla, drupal, wordpress) and modify an existing theme for it.

Very easy to do and it looks good.

Tews
March 12th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Try Elated.com .. They have a lot of free web templates that you can modify to your own taste... Best of all its free!! :)

gjoellee
March 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM
www.oswd.org

or try a cms:
(if you write a lot of own code as I do, Drupal will give you a lot of problems, so if you are like me...stick with www.oswd.org)

www.drupal.org

chris200x9
March 12th, 2009, 09:42 PM
:) thank you guys these are great! I can't believe I was going to pay someone.

bobmatino17
March 12th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Kompozer for designing <B>if</B> your lazy and you dont feel like coding it...

hessiess
March 12th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Learn XHTML, CSS and GIMP ;)

smartboyathome
March 12th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Learn XHTML, CSS and GIMP ;)

How about XML, Javascript and SVG? :popcorn:

klange
March 12th, 2009, 10:20 PM
How about XML, Javascript and SVG? :popcorn:

1. Only if you're doing AJAX.
2. Only if you're making dynamic sites.
3. Quite - I rarely use a raster editor for my sites. SVG all the way.

Another tip: Go learn a web-centric scripting language while you learn XHTML, et al. so you can write your CMS or whatever, putting your own web design to use while making your life easier. That's how I went about writing my forum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHPwnage)...

r1ch
March 12th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Do you intend to sell things from your website or use it as more of an advert or informational tool?

If you plan to sell from it, then it may be worth looking at some companies who provide an 'e-commerce tool' or templated site with a payment gateway? Some supposedly even provide reporting and stock management tools but this may be overkill. If you can find a good one in your territory (in case you need to call for support) then paying a small monthly fee may be more economical in the long run for the benefit of having the templating, hosting and payment functions handled for you.

This does all take the fun out of cranking out the code yourself though :-)

Just a thought anyway.

Ascenti0n
March 12th, 2009, 11:53 PM
you're starting a business with no money?

I suppose a business plan costs no money, have you got one of those?

chris200x9
March 13th, 2009, 12:37 AM
you're starting a business with no money?

I suppose a business plan costs no money, have you got one of those?

yes, I also have supplies. By no money I mean, I have no excess money. :)