PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changed password now wont connect?

mariane_08
March 12th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

I had to change the password on my WiFi router. I right clicked on the WiFi icon >edit wireless networks Then selected the network and entered the new password in the field at lower right and clicked "set password"

Now it wont connect and just goes round and round. If I leave it long enough it then connects to another weak unsecured network near here.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks
Mariane

lindsay7
March 12th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Did you go into your router setting and change that password?

mariane_08
March 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Did you go into your router setting and change that password?

Yes I did and it connects in that other OS that I wont mention but not here in Ubuntu

lindsay7
March 12th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Changing the password for the router does not change the password for your wireless network. That password should have stayed the same.

lindsay7
March 12th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Maybe I am mixed up.

When you get into your rourter you need a admin name and password. Once you get in, if you set up security, like wep or wpa, you need a passpharse or key. You use that passpharse or key to set up your wireless devices.

When you talked about passeword I thought you were talking about the password to get into your rourter, that is why I ment to say the would not change.

So if you can clear that up, maybe I can help.

mariane_08
March 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Maybe I am mixed up.

When you get into your rourter you need a admin name and password. Once you get in, if you set up security, like wep or wpa, you need a passpharse or key. You use that passpharse or key to set up your wireless devices.

When you talked about passeword I thought you were talking about the password to get into your rourter, that is why I ment to say the would not change.

So if you can clear that up, maybe I can help.

Now my head is spinning LOL!
What I mean is the security pass phase (WEP) i.e the pass YOU would need to enter if you came and sat on my front step with a laptop to use my wifi.

The new passphrase works fine in windows BTW

lindsay7
March 12th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Ok, got it, my brain is full of key, phasepharses, passwords for this other ones for that, etc.

All I know is Ubuntu 8.10 so if you have something else it may be different.

Go to systems/preferences/network configuration and click on wireless, then click on add. Fill out the box that says "ssid" with the name that you have given the network in you rourter setup. Then click on wireless security and pick the wep type you are using (again form you router settings), enter you key or passpharse (the new one you setup.).

casmok
March 12th, 2009, 10:12 PM

mariane_08
March 12th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Well I found the way to change it...or think I have?

I right clicked on the WiFi icon at the top, then "edit wireless networks" and deleted my network. I then "enable wireless" in the normal way and selected my network from the detected list. That prompted me for the passphrase which I entered. Then almost connected in that the thing goes round and round and one of the green dots lights up but not the second and it eventually times out. Anyone else got any ideas?