PDA

View Full Version : Qimo - Ubuntu for tots!

kansasnoob
March 12th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I couldn't find anything about this on the forums so I thought I'd give a shout-out!

I read about Qimo last month so I got busy digging through old components and doing some horse trading and finally came up with a circa 1999 HP Desktop board w/1100 mhz Celeron and 384 mb of RAM to give it a try.

I can only say WOW! My youngest grandkids love it!

You can check it out here:

http://www.qimo4kids.com/

The greatest recent addition I've seen to the Ubuntu family!

Hopefully worthy of mention in the Fridge!

xpod
March 12th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I need something to put on a spare laptop i`ve just acquired for our youngest.This sounds like just the ticket.Cheers for the link.

Firestem4
March 12th, 2009, 09:36 PM
This is great. My nephew is 28 months old now but he is already a technophile lol. When he is older I would like to get him onto something like this. Thanks for the link.

SunnyRabbiera
March 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Looks like a nice simple XFCE desktop too, should be more then suitable for its target audience.

WatchingThePain
March 12th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Can adults use it too?

SunnyRabbiera
March 12th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Can adults use it too?

What does it look too mature for you :p

WatchingThePain
March 12th, 2009, 09:58 PM
No, it sounds like something I can work with lol.

xpod
March 12th, 2009, 09:59 PM
When he is older

Never too young to start.:D

It seems i already have most of child orientated stuff on Qimo installed on my own machine,as well as the others around the house...go figure.:?
It runs well on the machine it`s intended for though so it will save me an apt-get or two.

s.fox
March 12th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Interesting idea. Has anyone installed it yet? :D

Sealbhach
March 12th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I'm going to put it on a USB drive, test it out on some of my younger relatives.

speedwell68
March 13th, 2009, 01:05 AM
My 3.5 year old knows her way around Ubuntu very well, she can surf the web on her own. I was tempted by this, just need an old PC to put it on.:D

chris4585
March 13th, 2009, 02:45 AM
This is very interesting, I'm gonna download it and just try it on liveusb just to see what its like.

eeried
May 19th, 2009, 07:11 PM
We're a small LUG in France and we all love Qimo though the games are in English and though there's only one of us that's a kiddie.

After running it Live I installed it on a Duron-800 MHZ as dual-boot with regular Ubuntu-Hardy. Qimo 1 is in fact Xubuntu 8.10 (not the best version ever of Ubuntu) and it installed very nicely.

There's one thing I don't understand. Though you have an account just as in X/Ubuntu it can't use the terminal. Qimo is the user, and I'm not sure how to change users' permissions if my account doesn't have all permissions. I'll have a go though. I can always change qimo's password in the recovery mode.

Now if we could just make the Qimo team understand that libre software is important for kids because it's freedom, not just because the apps are nice for kids, qimo would reach a higher philosophical level.

The team's been asked why their project is hosted on a M$ server, but they have it for free so that's that.

I know a free host (both as in freedom and as in free beer) called Tuxfamily who would probably be willing to host Qimo ;)

Anyway do try Qimo, and of course you can use Qimo for everything just like Ubuntu or Xubuntu. Have fun!

RiceMonster
May 19th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Neet idea. I want to try this out just for fun. I like the mascot.