PDA

View Full Version : A question about the future of old Win32 API

ZuLuuuuuu
March 12th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Hello,

My question is about Win32 API which is coded by C programming language. Note that I don't know this API but interested in it these days, so I might use wrong jargon in my question (corrections are welcome).

My question is: is Win32 API obsolete?

Now there is a thing called .Net. Will all the new stuff be supported only by .Net Framework? Or will Win32 API always have the newest features along with .Net? For example, when a new widget is introduced with .Net, will we be able to use that new widget with Win32 API (using C language) or will Win32 API remain what it has today and won't include new widgets, functions etc?

jespdj
March 12th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Maybe you should ask this in a Windows programming forum instead of a forum about programming for Ubuntu and Linux...

jimi_hendrix
March 12th, 2009, 09:58 PM
ugg that things a mess

the proper main function is:

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[]) i believe

ZuLuuuuuu
March 12th, 2009, 10:18 PM
It is, I guess,

int WINAPI WinMain (HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
PSTR szCmdLine, int iCmdShow)

But it definately looks ugly for a person coming from GTK+ :)

jimi_hendrix
March 12th, 2009, 10:20 PM
It is, I guess,

int WINAPI WinMain (HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
PSTR szCmdLine, int iCmdShow)

But it definately looks ugly for a person coming from GTK+ :)

thats for a gui...and you cant use normal strings...they have to be LPSTR's...and the convert function is like _L?

ZuLuuuuuu
March 12th, 2009, 10:30 PM
thats for a gui...and you cant use normal strings...they have to be LPSTR's...and the convert function is like _L?

You know better than me :) I just started reading "Programming Windows API".

jimi_hendrix
March 12th, 2009, 10:40 PM
You know better than me :) I just started reading "Programming Windows API".

i hate win32...but for whatever reason i feel 1337 when i hack it...maybe because its so complex?

Shin_Gouki2501
March 12th, 2009, 11:11 PM
as far as i know ms wished to replace win32 API when and if they can do it well thats anothe rthing..

jimi_hendrix
March 12th, 2009, 11:24 PM
as far as i know ms wished to replace win32 API when and if they can do it well thats anothe rthing..

ya, VS gives the option of creating CLR C++ apps

these use the .Net libraries, like Console::WriteLine();

ZuLuuuuuu
March 25th, 2009, 09:05 PM
To let you know, I was about to ask the question in MSDN forums but searched first. These are two of the similar questions asked there before:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowssdk/thread/3d9e4b8b-d4e2-4545-926a-873ba4671b52

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/3f05e294-783c-4043-9b9d-59542f73daa1

As I understand from the search results, there is no official statement from Microsoft but almost nobody thinks that Win32 support will be dropped since there is a huge code archive and very big softwares written in it...