PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blank desktop after install

TheCryptic
March 12th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Hey all, just installed Ubuntu 8.10 from CD, did the "easy" installation selecting to use the whole disk. The install went fine, and had the coffee ring background and everything, so I'm assuming my hardware is compatible. I installed in on an older HP Pavilion 554y, IIRC it has a 2 GHz Celeron and I've upgraded to a gig of RAM.

Anyways, after the install it came up with the restart now button. I clicked it and waited. It didn't look like a full reboot, maybe just loading X, I dunno. Anyways, I had a black screen with a working mouse cursor. Clicking and right clicking did nothing.

OK, so cold boot. Now I have a white screen with a working mouse cursor. It's been years since I've tried any flavor of Linux, and barely even scratched the surface then.

Any suggestions what to do next? I can always put XP back on the box, but it'd be pretty useless with the other machines I have in the house.

Edit: Of note, I'm a pretty big Linux newbie, but I'm in IT support working with various MS environments. I had intended to post this in the newbie area, but clicked on the wrong tab in my browser.

TheCryptic
March 12th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Eh, been searching for a bit and found that doing a reinstall with safe video mode seems to have done the trick. Is there a way to do this from a console in case I mess it up trying to get a proper driver installed?