PDA

View Full Version : [HOWTO] abcde

daschl
December 28th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Hello and welcome to my first HOWTO at ubuntuforums.org

The reason why i wrote this HOWTO is, that i dont like all this stuff with many eyecandy. I know that there are loads of real nice CD Encoders based on GTK+ or stuff like that, but as you already know shell-based applications are faster and in my opinion they dont lose usability. So this tutorial is about encoding your music-cds with the nice gadget called abcde.

abcde stands for a better cd encoder and is your comfortable front-end, so you dont have to deal with LAME (for example) directly.

Ok let's start.

At first, we have to install abcde. You can use Synaptic for that, or just apt-get it directly (thats what i like to do, because its faster :))

sudo apt-get -y install abcde

Note: the -y options only answers all questions with yes. if you dont want apt-get to do so, just remove the -y parameter.

If you read the apt-get output you can see the dependencies installed

cd-discid (0.9-1)
liboggflac3 (1.1.2-1ubuntu2)
vorbis-tools(1.0.1-1.4)

Optional:
If you want to encode your CD's as mp3-files you have to install LAME too.

sudo apt-get -y install lame

Configuration
So now we have all the important stuff on our system. We now have to find the config file and copy it to our home-directory

find / -name abcde.conf 2> /dev/null

Lets have a look at the find-output. There you can see, that the file is located in the /etc/ directory. so now lets copy it to our home directory...

cp /etc/abcde.conf ~/.abcde.conf

...and open it

gedit ~/.abcde.conf

Lets have a look at the important sections. every option is well-commented and should be easy to understand. if you have specific questions about a section dont hesitiate to ask!
By default, abcde uses the .ogg codec to encode your files. if you want to encode your files with the LAME-Encoder you have to uncomment this line

# Paths of programs to use
LAME=lame
#GOGO=gogo
#BLADEENC=bladeenc
#L3ENC=l3enc
#XINGMP3ENC=xingmp3enc
#MP3ENC=mp3enc
#VORBIZE=vorbize
#OGGENC=oggenc
#FLAC=flac
#SPEEXENC=speexenc
#MPPENC=mppenc

important is this parameter. you have to set it to your cd-drive

# CD device you want to read from
#CDROM=/dev/cdrom
CDROM=/dev/hdc

in my case i have to change it to /dev/hdc. DONT use /media/cdrom, because audio-cds never get mounted :)

if you want to encode your files to a fixed directory, and not to your current directory change this parameter for example

# If you'd like to make a default location that overrides the current
# directory for putting mp3's, uncomment this.
#OUTPUTDIR=`pwd`
OUTPUTDIR=~/music/

there are loads of other options, if you have a specific question just ask here.

finish
so now, if you want to encode a cd all you have to do is

(1) put the music cd in your drive
(2) open a terminal
(3) type "abcde"

and just wait for the output. abcde automatically searches for the names and if you want to change this, you can do so. otherwise press return twice and wait until the files are encoded

i hope you liked this short tutorial and please post your questions underneath

kind regards,
daschl

vassie
February 8th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Nice How To, thanks

I also thought i'd share my .abcde.conf

# no submitting of cddb info
NOSUBMIT=y

# rip to mp3 via lame
MP3ENCODERSYNTAX='lame'

# selection of cd reader
CDROMREADERSYNTAX=cdparanoia

# zero ifront of tr.no. below 10
PADTRACKS=y

# lame encoder settings
LAMEOPTS="--alt-preset standard"

# Actions to do
ACTIONS=cddb,read,encode,tag,move,clean

# Output dir
OUTPUTDIR='/home/ben/Music'

# temp dir
WAVOUTPUTDIR='/tmp'

# output type
OUTPUTTYPE=mp3

# naming
OUTPUTFORMAT='${ARTISTFILE}/${ALBUMFILE}/${TRACKNUM} - ${TRACKFILE}'

# naming of multi artist albums (same)
VAOUTPUTFORMAT='${ARTISTFILE}/${ARTISTFILE} - ${ALBUMFILE}/${ARTISTFILE} - ${TRACKNUM} - ${TRACKFILE}'

# don't convert spaces to underscores
mungefilename ()
{
echo "$@" | sed s,:,\ -,g | tr / _ | tr -d \"\?\[:cntrl:\]
}

Ben

Parkotron
February 9th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I've always been a huge abcde fan. It's biggest advantages are the shear number of options in .abcde.conf and that it's written in Bash (so it's a joke to tweak something to suit your personal needs.) I also like that it uses the cdparanoia executable, not just the library, so you get to see those ever so informative cdparanoia progress bars. I like to number the tracks on multidisc albums as 101, 102, ... , 201, 202... and abcde is that only ripper I've ever seen that supports this.

It's certainly not pretty, but nothing does a better job of getting .cda to .flac, .ogg or .mp3.

Josh M
March 19th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Thank you for this How To. abcde works great. I was having problems getting Sound Juicer and Grip working so I had been going back to Windows to rip and encode with EAC. Now I am very happy to be ripping and encoding in Linux. :)

bionnaki
March 19th, 2006, 03:12 AM
im getting this error:

bill@ubuntu:~$ abcde
/home/bill/.abcde.conf: line 129: MP3:: command not found
abcde error: id3v2 is not in your path.

I have lame installed:

bill@ubuntu:~$ lame
LAME version 3.96.1 (http://lame.sourceforge.net/)

usage: lame [options] <infile> [outfile]

<infile> and/or <outfile> can be "-", which means stdin/stdout.

Try:
"lame --help" for general usage information
or:
"lame --preset help" for information on suggested predefined settings
or:
"lame --longhelp"
or "lame -?" for a complete options list

Josh M
March 19th, 2006, 03:42 AM
I had the Id3v2 error. You need to:

sudo apt-get install id3v2

If you post the contents of your .abcde.conf file I will compare it to mine and see if I can spot the cause of the MP3 command not found error.

GabrielWolff
April 1st, 2006, 04:29 PM
Hey, I guess the above description is missing one big issue: don't you have to copy the .abcde.conf back to etc?

Plus, I'd like to rip albums that contain non-english characters. Daschl, you should know how. For example: an Album By Die Ertsä Allgämeine Värunsicherung. abcde just turns it into Die Erst? Allg?meine V?runsicherung.

How do I keep the Umlauts?

Thanx

G

jgdempsey
April 6th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Ok, Time to throw this out to the world. I've scoured the web for ideas. I'm using Kubuntu 5.10 and abcde 2.2.6. When I try to run abcde as me, I get the following error: __________________________________________________ __________

johnd@SlimServer:~$ abcde /home/johnd/.abcde.conf: line 185: /home/johnd/Music/: is a directory
/home/johnd/.abcde.conf: line 189: /home/johnd/temp/: is a directory
Grabbing entire CD - tracks: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12
mkdir: cannot create directory `/abcde.aa0c970c': Permission denied
abcde: Temp directory /abcde.aa0c970c could not be created. __________________________________________________ __________

It works when I run it as root, since root has permission to create files/folders in /, so I know that everything seems to be working correctly. I've checked the permissions on abcde itself, and it looks fine. The Music directory is a symbolic link to /Music, which is the mount dir for a USB attached 300 gb drive. Its probably something goofy I'm missing. Here's my abcde.conf file with the comments removed for clarity: (hence the line 185 in the above message)
__________________________________________________ _________ CDDBURL="http://freedb.freedb.org/~cddb/cddb.cgi"
HELLOINFO="`whoami`@`hostname`"
CDDBSUBMIT=freedb-submit@freedb.org
NOCDDBQUERY=n
FLACENCODERSYNTAX=default
KEEPWAVS=n
PADTRACKS=y
INTERACTIVE=n
ENCNICE=10
READNICE=10
DISTMP3NICE=10
VORBIZE=vorbize
FLAC=flac
ID3=id3
ID3V2=id3v2
CDPARANOIA=cdparanoia
CDDBTOOL=cddb-tool
EJECT=eject
MD5SUM=md5sum
DISTMP3=distmp3
VORBISCOMMENT=vorbiscomment
NORMALIZE=normalize-audio
CDSPEED=eject
HTTPGET=wget
HTTPGETOPTS="-q -O -"
FLACOPTS=
CDROM=/dev/cdrom
OUTPUTDIR=`$HOME/Music/`
WAVOUTPUTDIR=`$HOME/temp/`
OUTPUTTYPE=flac
OUTPUTFORMAT='${ARTISTFILE}/${ALBUMFILE}/${TRACKNUM}.${TRACKFILE}' VAOUTPUTFORMAT='${ARTISTFILE}/${ARTISTFILE}-${ALBUMFILE}/${ARTISTFILE}-${TRACKNUM}.${TRACKFILE}'
mungefilename ()
{
echo "$@" | sed s,:,\ -,g | tr \ /\* __+ | tr -d \'\"\?\[:cntrl:\]
}
EJECTCD=y
__________________________________________________ ________________

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks
JD

elektronaut
April 10th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I also have the problem with non-ASCII characters and abcde. That's sad, as this seems to be the only program which can rip and encode in several formats (for me vorbis and flac) at the same time.

pestilence4hr
April 10th, 2006, 04:53 PM
johnd@SlimServer:~$ abcde /home/johnd/.abcde.conf: line 185: /home/johnd/Music/: is a directory
/home/johnd/.abcde.conf: line 189: /home/johnd/temp/: is a directory
Grabbing entire CD - tracks: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12
mkdir: cannot create directory `/abcde.aa0c970c': Permission denied
abcde: Temp directory /abcde.aa0c970c could not be created.

OUTPUTDIR=`$HOME/Music/`
WAVOUTPUTDIR=`$HOME/temp/`

You've got the wrong kind of quotes there. You need the " type of quote. The kind of quote you have there is trying to save the result of executing the command $HOME/Music/ into the variable $OUTPUTDIR...which is why you are getting the error "that's a directory"...you can't execute directories.

elektronaut
April 10th, 2006, 10:11 PM
I tried to delete this message but didn't find the option...

jgdempsey
April 11th, 2006, 03:38 AM
Thanks for taking the time to respond, that did that trick..
I knew it had to be some kind of silly *** thing that I was missing.
Thanks again

daschl
April 30th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Hey, I guess the above description is missing one big issue: don't you have to copy the .abcde.conf back to etc?

Plus, I'd like to rip albums that contain non-english characters. Daschl, you should know how. For example: an Album By Die Ertsä Allgämeine Värunsicherung. abcde just turns it into Die Erst? Allg?meine V?runsicherung.

How do I keep the Umlauts?

Thanx

G
no, you don't have to copy it back (if you do that, all users will use the new file if they dont have their own .abce.conf in their home-dir)

iirc umlauts are saved correctly. maybe you can't display it in your terminal because you use the wrong charset!
btw: its the "Erste Allgemeine Verunsicherung", and there's no umlaut ;)

gnemo
September 28th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the how-to. I've been searching for a way to simultaneously rip my CD collection to FLAC and mp3 formats, one for archival and one for use with portables.

Now, is there a way to have the flac and mp3 output files go into different subdirectories? I don't want both sets of files ripped into the same directory. For instance, let's say I have a big second hard drive mounted at /music, and I want to have the flac files go into /music/flac , and the mp3s into /music/mp3.

Anyone know how to do this?

TIA,

-Gnemo

gnemo
September 29th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Okay, I figured it out. The following snippets from abcde.conf tell how to do this:

OUTPUTDIR="/music"
OUTPUTTYPE=flac,mp3
OUTPUTFORMAT='${OUTPUT}/${ARTISTFILE}-${ALBUMFILE}/${TRACKNUM}.${TRACKFILE}'

This combination puts the FLAC files in /music/flac, and the mp3 files in /music/mp3.

The key is the ${OUTPUT}/ bit in OUTPUTFORMAT; ${OUTPUT} is "flac" for FLAC and "mp3" for MP3.

-Gnemo

kpkeerthi
September 29th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Excellent... Can't wait to try this when I get home.

VCSkier
October 6th, 2006, 10:16 PM
First of all, I wanted to share this with you guys, thinking it might be appealing to some of you. Secondly, I'm looking for help with it.

How would I would go about applying a patch to abcde? Namely, this one over at Hydrogenaudio.org...

Patch: Add Test & Copy to abcde/cdparanoia, Got tired of checking manually (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=42895)

VCSkier
November 29th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Ok, I've got this working pretty well (I gave up on the patch, because I'm interested in single-file rips). Here's my situation though, I want to be able to rip to single file flac, that I can easily and accurately burn to a blank cd. I think that with brasero (formerly bonfire) I can point it to a cue sheet that references a flac image, it will burn it to the cd properly, but what about if the cue sheet is embedded? Are there any native linux applications that can easily and accurately burn a single file, cue embedded flack file to a cd?

If not, I will need to set up abcde to output a single file flac with embedded cue (so I can use abcde to split and encode to mp3 at a later time), AND an external cue sheet, so I can burn copies easily with Brasero (or other capable burning application). Thanks!

VCSkier
February 6th, 2007, 10:39 PM
bump. are there any abcde users out there that can help me? what should i have in my abcde.conf to let me rip to a single-file flac image that i can later burn to a cd easily? also, if possible, i'd like to rip to mp3 tracks also, can this be done simultaneously, or do i need to do it in through a separate process?

finally, I want to apply album based replay-gain to all of my files. should i apply this in the "FLACOPTS" field, or through the "normalize" options?

phido
February 20th, 2007, 10:03 AM
need some help

VAOUTPUTFORMAT=’VA-${ALBUMFILE}/${TRACKNUM}.${ARTISTFILE} - ${TRACKFILE}’gives me an error and the Track gets written "as Artist -.mp3", without spaces it gets written correct.
So how do I get spaces in there?

skralljt
June 28th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Hey, anybody know how to get abcde to pass files to vorbisgain? It rips everything to ogg vorbis files beautifully, tagged and everything, but i cannot for the life of me figure out what to put in the conf file to get it to automatically pass disc info to vorbisgain. I can't even get abcde to open vorbisgain! It seems like the commandline would be abcde -a vorbisgain, or is it abcde -a <vorbisgain>?

victor123
July 3rd, 2007, 12:20 AM
*edit*

Is it possible to add the year to the filename?

andrew.46
August 21st, 2007, 12:32 PM
Hi,
Saw your post about abcde:

Hey, anybody know how to get abcde to pass files to vorbisgain? It rips everything to ogg vorbis files beautifully, tagged and everything, but i cannot for the life of me figure out what to put in the conf file to get it to automatically pass disc info to vorbisgain. I can't even get abcde to open vorbisgain! It seems like the commandline would be abcde -a vorbisgain, or is it abcde -a <vorbisgain>?

Have you added the following lines to your ~/.abcde.conf file?:

VORBISGAIN=vorbisgain
ACTIONS=cddb,read,normalize,encode,tag,move,clean

I don't use 'normalizeing' myself but this looks like the way to do it. The first line is the path to Vorbisgain, perhaps /usr/bin/vorbisgain ??

Andrew

Chemist
January 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM
how do i change the bitrate when encoding to .ogg, i've been trying to figure it out for a while but can only encode at 112kb/s??

andrew.46
January 15th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Hi,

how do i change the bitrate when encoding to .ogg, i've been trying to figure it out for a while but can only encode at 112kb/s??

You are after the -q setting. From the man page:

-q n, --quality=n
Sets encoding quality to n, between -1 (very low) and 10 (very
high). This is the default mode of operation, with a default
quality level of 3. Fractional quality levels such as 2.5 are
permitted. Using this option allows the encoder to select an
appropriate bitrate based on your desired quality level.

-q 6 usually encodes to about 180 - 190.

Andrew

Chemist
February 24th, 2008, 06:57 PM
thanks dude

playinpearls
May 22nd, 2008, 03:27 AM
ok, i installed everything as it said in the begining but when I start ripping the cd, it still saves it as a ogg file. I did change this in the cfg file:

LAME=lame
#GOGO=gogo
#BLADEENC=bladeenc

but that is the only thing. Is there something else I have to change to get it to start encoding to mp3?

citybird
October 25th, 2008, 12:05 AM
mungefilename ()
{
}

What the hell does this mean? can someone please translate this for me? I know it converts characters to underscores or spaces or whatever you tell it to but I don't speak this language and I need a primer.

My goal is to just leave spaces alone and not convert them to underscores.
Basicly just not have any underscores.

What is the difference between what is above and this here below:

mungefilename ()
{
}

nick_h
October 25th, 2008, 04:35 PM
mungefilename ()
{
}

What the hell does this mean? can someone please translate this for me? I know it converts characters to underscores or spaces or whatever you tell it to but I don't speak this language and I need a primer.

My goal is to just leave spaces alone and not convert them to underscores.
Basicly just not have any underscores.

What is the difference between what is above and this here below:

mungefilename ()
{
}

It alters the filenames in 3 steps:

Firstly, it used the sed command to replace all occurrences of ":" with " -". For details read the manual page with:

man sed

Then it uses the tr command to convert " " to "_", "\" to "_" and "*" to "+". There is also a manual page for tr:

man tr

Finally the tr command is used to delete quotation marks, question marks and control characters.

The second example doesn't replace the spaces or the asterisk.

If you are moving files onto a FAT filesystem then some characters are not allowed.

I think they are: " . / \ : < > ? * |

Piraja
November 5th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Dear all,

one thing I don't really understand is that when CDDB gives multiple exact matches — e.g. as follows —

Multiple exact matches:
[...]

#3: ---- blues b1102f0c Nirvana / In Utero ----
1: Serve The Servants
2: Scentless Apprentice
3: Heart-Shaped Box
4: Rape Me
5: Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle
6: Dumb
7: Very Ape
8: Milk It
9: Pennyroyal Tea
10: Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
11: Tourette's
12: All Apologies

#4: ---- newage b1102f0c Nirvana / in Utero ----
1: Nirvana / SERVE THE SERVANTS
2: SCENTLESS APPRENTICE
3: HEART-SHAPED BOX
4: RAPE ME
5: FRANCES FARMER WILLHAVE HER REVENGE ON SEATTLE
6: DUMP
7: VERY APE
8: MILK IT
9: PENNYROYAL TEA
10: RADIO FRIENDLY UNIT SHIFTER
11: TOURETTES
12: ALL APOLOGIES

(END)

how do I continue from here, i.e. from the (END) line? I could not figure this out by a quick lookup at the help file and the man page.

All apologies for my ignorance, and thanks in advance,

cheers,

Very Ape (a.k.a. Piraja)

Piraja
November 5th, 2008, 12:16 PM
NEVERMIND — it seems I figured it out already! Hitting "q" (for "quit") while "(END)" is highlighted brings up the prompt for choosing the desired entry, and then the process continues...

All apologies (track 12) for being so dumb (track 06 — and not DUMP you silly "newage" track 07)!

andrew.46
November 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Hi Piraja:

one thing I don't really understand is that when CDDB gives multiple exact matches [...]

how do I continue from here, i.e. from the (END) line? I could not figure this out by a quick lookup at the help file and the man page.

All that is required is to scroll through the list and decide which 'match' you prefer and then close the editor window. abcde will then ask you to select the match by number (ie 1, 2, 3 or 4).

All the best,

Andrew

andrew.46
November 10th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Hi:

ok, i installed everything as it said in the begining but when I start ripping the cd, it still saves it as a ogg file. I did change this in the cfg file:

LAME=lame
#GOGO=gogo
#BLADEENC=bladeenc

but that is the only thing. Is there something else I have to change to get it to start encoding to mp3?

Ogg Vorbis is the default format used by abcde. The section you actually need to change is:

OUTPUTTYPE="mp3"

and I would suggest as well:

LAMEOPTS='--preset extreme'

Andrew

Piraja
December 30th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Dear all,

I'd like to submit CDDB information for an album whose details I had to edit manually, but "cddb-tool send <filename>" returns just

/usr/bin/cddb-tool: 242: mail: not found

I haven't really been able to dig up information about this feature of abcde (cddb-tool (http://lly.org/~rcw/abcde/page/cddb-tool.1.html) is, anyway, "a backend tool for abcde").

logos34
December 30th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Dear all,

I'd like to submit CDDB information for an album whose details I had to edit manually, but "cddb-tool send <filename>" returns just

I haven't really been able to dig up information about this feature of abcde (cddb-tool (http://lly.org/~rcw/abcde/page/cddb-tool.1.html) is, anyway, "a backend tool for abcde").

hmm...reading the man page options:

send [file] address

Mails file file (or stdin of no file specified) to specified address, using correct format. Category should be one of blues, classical, country, data, fold, jazz, newage, reggae, rock, soundtrack, misc.

Have you tried removing '#' here:

# This controls the email address CDDB changes are submitted to.
CDDBSUBMIT=freedb-submit@freedb.org

Then maybe adding options here:

CDDBTOOLOPTS="send freedb-submit@freedb.org"

just a shot in the dark...

Piraja
December 30th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks logos34!

No hit, sorry to say.

The script /usr/bin/cddb-tool contains 242 lines, of which the last is just "esac". I removed the hash in .abcde.conf, to no avail, and tried adding CDDBTOOLOPTS="send freedb-submit@freedb.org" as you suggested; adding the email address to the "send" command does not help either:

piraja@ubuntu-64bit:~$ cddb-tool send /home/piraja/abcde.6d10eb08/cddbread.0 freedb-submit@freedb.org

PS. I attached the /usr/bin/cddb-tool file (as .txt) for reference. I suppose it should not be edited manually, but I'm at my wit's end about .abcde.conf, since the suggested changes did not help.

logos34
December 30th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I didn't have very high hopes it would work!

abcde can be frustrating. There are several things I never figured out how to do--e.g. how to get it to autorun vorbisgain (whereas I can get it to run 'replaygain' for mp3 by simply editng the lameopts line...)

oh well, hopefully someone out there has an answer for you

Piraja
January 2nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
I wonder if this extract from the ripping process helps to solve the problem — abcde reads the information from the cddread.0 file that I edited but I cannot send the information to FreeDB (cf. the couple of posts preceding this one). Something seems to be missing... ("No such file or directory"? Why's that, when it's an address?)

Edit selected CDDB data? [y/n] (n): y
Is the CD multi-artist? [y/n] (n):
grep: freedb-submit@freedb.org: No such file or directory
Grabbing track 1: EDWARD ELGAR _1857-1934_ - Introduction and Allegro, op 47...
cdparanoia III release 10.0 (June 10, 2008)

andrew.46
January 3rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
Hi,

I have not been able to get abcde to even call cd-discid from within the script to send the updated information. The section of /usr/bin/abcde looks fairly straightforward:

# submit the modified file, if they want
if [ "$NOSUBMIT" != "y" ]; then
echo -n "Do you want to submit this entry to $CDDBSUBMIT? [y/n] (n): "
read YESNO
while [ "$YESNO" != "y" ] && [ "$YESNO" != "n" ] && [ "$YESNO" != "Y" ] && \
[ "$YESNO" != "N" ] && [ "$YESNO" != "" ]
do
echo -n 'Invalid selection. Please answer "y" or "n": '
read YESNO
done
if [ "$YESNO" = "y" ] || [ "$YESNO" = "Y" ]; then
echo -n "Sending..."
$CDDBTOOL send "$CDDBDATA" $CDDBSUBMIT
echo "done."
fi
fi
fi
fi

But I cannot get it to work by using this option. Unfortunately at the moment the project seems a little quiet. Have you tried an email to Jesus Clement who answered a couple of my emails quite courteously in the past?

More than a little exasperating :confused:. Perhaps abcde expects a local copy of the freedb, or even simply the option CDDBLOCALDIR="$HOME/.cddb"? The documentation is particularly unhelpful with all this.

Andrew

andrew.46
January 3rd, 2009, 04:35 AM
Hi,

Never one to let an issue like this rest I have submitted a bug-report:

http://code.google.com/p/abcde/issues/detail?id=1

This site has been a little quiet but I gather it is the home of abcde at the moment and looks like the best place to get some resolution of the issue. Interested in getting involved in the process? Confirmation of the bug may help matters along, if the new developers are active.

All the best,

Andrew

Piraja
March 1st, 2009, 09:07 PM
Hi,

ABCDE has somehow stopped working properly on my old desktop machine, running Crunchbang presently. The process stops after ripping the CD tracks with cdparanoia, without the encoding phase. That's not a big problem, actually, and fixing it can wait — I can always convert the wave files with oggenc, flac or lame. However, I would like to know if and how I can retrieve the CDDB information from the cddbread.1 file so that I would not have to add the tags manually (with Easytag, for instance). I decided to make both flac and small ogg copies of the original wav's of an album, and I may be using both ogg and flac on different devices (e.g. leaving the flacs on the big HDD and copying the tiny oggs onto my daughter's Sansa player); now I'm not sure how I could take an advantage of the tag information available in the CDDB file(s) already present in the ~/abcde.870a2f0a directory.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Oh, by the way, the errors file in the mentioned directory states the following:

encodetrack-ogg-01: returned code 1: nice -n 10 oggenc 8 -o /home/piraja/abcde.870a2f0a/track01.ogg /home/piraja/abcde.870a2f0a/track01.wav

Piraja
March 2nd, 2009, 09:23 AM
OK, I dug up some information on the mysterious "nice"ness (see linux.com (http://www.linux.com/feature/58638) on this) and will try what happens if I set encoding "nice"ness to zero... It's an old desktop, anyway, and encoding to compressed formats is extremely CPU hungry. So, let's see if I allow ABCDE to be less nice, i.e. more rude (do you native speakers say "ruder"?)... Below you see what I find in the default .abcde.conf before uncommenting and changing the "ENCNICE" value:

# Specify 'nice'ness of the encoder, the CD reader and the distmp3 proc.
# This is a relative 'nice'ness (that is, if the parent process is at a
# nice level of 12, and the ENCNICE is set to 3, then the encoder will
# run with an absolute nice value of 15. Note also, that setting these
# to be empty will result in some default niceness increase (4 in tcsh
# and 10 using the bsdutils' nice).
#ENCNICE=10
#READNICE=10
#DISTMP3NICE=10
Report, 35 mins later: "ENCNICE=0" had no effect on the problem. The file /home/piraja/abcde.2d0f7816/errors reads as follows:

encodetrack-ogg-01: returned code 1: nice -n 0 oggenc 8 -o /home/piraja/abcde.2d0f7816/track01.ogg /home/piraja/abcde.2d0f7816/track01.wav

Piraja
March 2nd, 2009, 12:58 PM
I continue for another bit these ramblings — maybe I should create a blog for these instead of burdening Ubuntu Forums with these remarks? Hmm...

Anyway, this is what I used for encoding some WAV's that were left as orphans by the broken ABCDE ("broken" means here perhaps just that I have configured it erroneously):

piraja@chittychittybangbang:~$ flac --tag-from-file=1=/home/piraja/abcde.2d0f7816/cddbchoices /home/piraja/abcde.2d0f7816/*.wav

This produced metatags to the flac files. Yet, metatags are not shown by e.g. VLC in its General tab, as you see comparing the screenshots below.

http://www.aijaa.com/img/t/00373/3713568.t.jpg (http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=3713568.jpg) http://www.aijaa.com/img/t/00644/3713579.t.jpg (http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=3713579.jpg)

In case I get this sorted out myself, I'll let you know...

Piraja
March 19th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I thought it would be fair to report that I got the problem sorted out with ABCDE — there was some problem in my ~/.abcde.conf, but I'm afraid I cannot specify which was the actual misconfigured part, since I went through the whole file and changed quite a few details. Anyway, it works great once again.

SteveNorman
June 12th, 2009, 02:51 AM
This thread made me sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo
Happy!:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS:

nickrout
June 26th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Dear all,

you do not have the command mail on your system.
nick@bilbo:~$ mail
The program 'mail' can be found in the following packages:
* heirloom-mailx
* mailutils
Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>
bash: mail: command not found

Piraja
June 26th, 2009, 11:46 PM
you do not have the command mail on your system
Thank you – the answer to my question was lying right under our noses, as it seems. Actually it has been a long time since I last used ABCDE. I have switched to Rubyripper's CLI version. I'm no longer using Ubuntu, either, but CrunchBang Linux instead – and "mail" is indeed one of the programs that come by default in #!.

emkamau
October 18th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Does anybody know whether/how abcde can use multiple drives. I want to rip on a computer with two cdrom drives and have each drive ripping at the same time.

emk

andrew.46
October 18th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Hi emkamu,

Does anybody know whether/how abcde can use multiple drives. I want to rip on a computer with two cdrom drives and have each drive ripping at the same time.

abcde can select different cdrom devices with the -d option:

-d [devicename | filename]
CD-ROM block device that contains audio tracks to be read.
Alternatively, a single-track flac file with embedded cuesheet.

I don't believe that the same instance of abcde can run from 2 devices though. Perhaps try opening abcde twice using the -d option to open the 2nd cdrom device?

Andrew

nickrout
October 19th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Hi emkamu,

abcde can select different cdrom devices with the -d option:

-d [devicename | filename]
CD-ROM block device that contains audio tracks to be read.
Alternatively, a single-track flac file with embedded cuesheet.

I don't believe that the same instance of abcde can run from 2 devices though. Perhaps try opening abcde twice using the -d option to open the 2nd cdrom device?

Andrew

You can run as many instances of abcde as you like. I only have one cd drive, but I can run
abcde -x in one terminal. Once the cd pops out I know abcde has finished ripping, although it will still be encoding etc. In another terminal I can run it again and it will rip the next cd. I could do this as many times as I liked. Although the ripping and encoding will slow down, at least I can set it up to do a lot of ripping before I go to bed.

So I see no reason not to run

abcde -d /dev/cdrom0 in one terminal and
abcde -d /dev/cdrom1 in another.

slakkie
October 20th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I know this is a pretty old guide, but the find / -name abcde.conf is not needed:

dpkg -L abcde | grep conf

will do the same without having to search on disk.

Captain_Falafel
May 9th, 2010, 05:36 AM
I'm trying to get abcde to do a number of things such as name all my files based on their titles with the OUTPUTFORMAT option, however, it's not really working and just outputting track01.flac, etc.
MKCUE=mkcue isn't generating a cue sheet either

Is there something I'm missing with editing the configuration file?

This is essentially what I have in my configuration file (everything that I have uncommented)

# Track padding: force abcde to pad tracks using 0
PADTRACKS=y

# Make a cue sheet
MKCUE=mkcue

#ACTIONS=cddb,read,encode,tag,move,clean
ACTIONS=cddb,tag

# Default location
OUTPUTDIR=/blah/blah/abcde

# Output type
OUTPUTTYPE=flac,ogg

# Output Format
OUTPUTFORMAT='${ARTISTFILE}-${ALBUMFILE}/${TRACKNUM}.${TRACKFILE}'

# Like OUTPUTFORMAT but for Various Artists discs.
VAOUTPUTFORMAT='Various-${ALBUMFILE}/${TRACKNUM}.${ARTISTFILE}-${TRACKFILE}'

mungefilename ()
{
echo "$@" | sed s,:,\ -,g | tr \ / __ | tr -d \'\"\?\[:cntrl:\]
}

Thank you in advance! :)

mc4man
May 9th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Here is a basic guide and sample configs by andrew.46 - maybe take a look
http://andrews-corner.org/abcde.htm

I used one of his as a starting point to do .aac with nero - for output have this (note what I highlighted in blue

OUTPUTDIR="$HOME/music/"

I put .abcde.conf in home folder - leave the default one in /etc alone

In case any interest sometime - conf set up for neroAacEnc (does requires a patched abcde for nero and also to use cdda2wav instead of cdparanoia

# -----------------$HOME/.abcde.conf----------------- #
# A sample configuration file to convert music cds to
# MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Musepack & AAC
# using abcde version 2.4.2
# Modified for neroAacEnc and atomicParsley from
# http://andrews-corner.org/abcde.html
# Uses either cdparanoia or Jörg Schilling's cdda2wav
# -------------------------------------------------- #
#CDROM=/dev/cdrom

#OGGENCODERSYNTAX=oggenc # Specify encoder for Ogg Vorbis
MP3ENCODERSYNTAX=lame # Specify encoder for MP3
FLACENCODERSYNTAX=flac # Specify encoder for FLAC
#MPPENCODERSYNTAX=mppenc # Specify encoder for Musepack
AACENCODERSYNTAX=neroAacEnc # Specify encoder for AAC

#OGGENC=oggenc # Path to Ogg Vorbis encoder
LAME=lame # Path to MP3 encoder
FLAC=flac # Path to FLAC encoder
#MPPENC=mppenc # Path to Musepack encoder
AACENC=neroAacEnc # Path to AAC encoder
ATOMICPARSLEY='AtomicParsley'

#OGGENCOPTS='-q 6' # Options for Ogg Vorbis
LAMEOPTS='-V 0' # Options for MP3
FLACOPTS='--verify --best' # Options for FLAC
#MPPENCOPTS='--extreme' # Options for Musepack
AACENCOPTS='-q 0.65' # Options for AAC

OUTPUTTYPE="m4a" # Encode to all 5 formats! only 1 here

CDPARANOIA=cdparanoia
#CDROMREADERSYNTAX=cdda2wav
#CDDA2WAV=cdda2wav
CDPARANOIAOPTS="--never-skip=40"
#CDDA2WAVOPTS="-paranoia -paraopts=proof"

# Give the location of the CD identification program:
CDDISCID=cd-discid

OUTPUTDIR="$HOME/music/"
VAOUTPUTFORMAT='${OUTPUT}/Various-${ALBUMFILE}/${TRACKNUM}.${ARTISTFILE}-${TRACKFILE}'
ONETRACKOUTPUTFORMAT='${OUTPUT}/${ARTISTFILE}-${ALBUMFILE}/${ALBUMFILE}'
VAONETRACKOUTPUTFORMAT='${OUTPUT}/Various-${ALBUMFILE}/${ALBUMFILE}'

mungefilename ()
{
echo "$@" | sed s,:,-,g | tr / _ | tr -d \'\"\?\[:cntrl:\]
}
MAXPROCS=2 # Run a few encoders simultaneously
PADTRACKS=y # Makes tracks 01 02 not 1 2
EXTRAVERBOSE=y # Useful for debugging
EJECTCD=y # Please eject cd when finished :-)

Captain_Falafel
May 9th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Here is a basic guide and sample configs by andrew.46 - maybe take a look
http://andrews-corner.org/abcde.htm

I used one of his as a starting point to do .aac with nero - for output have this (note what I highlighted in blue

I put .abcde.conf in home folder - leave the default one in /etc alone

In case any interest sometime - conf set up for neroAacEnc (does requires a patched abcde

Thank you for the link! it was really helpful! :)

andrew.46
May 10th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Hi,

@mc4man; Nice link indeed :). I see that the page has only recently added some details on how to automatically generate a playlist as well, not the most complex thing to do I will admit but it is nice to use some more features of this nice script...

@Captain_Falafel: You saw on that page in the flac section how 'cue' either needs to be added to your commandline or in the ~/.abcde.conf file under the 'ACTIONS' section?

Andrew

JRobertBuchanan
May 30th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Hello,

Looks like abcde and its associated tools is just the thing to help me easily rip my CD library to multiple formats on harddisks. I have installed abcde and all the tools mentioned that it may use. I have even run abcde on a couple of CDs, but I must have something misconfigured since the results it get are incomplete. Only the first four tracks are encoded, but abcde seems to go to sleep after that and the command line prompt never returns. I can show you my .abcde.conf file and the error and status files generated by one of the runs of abcde. Can anyone see something configured incorrectly? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

My .abcde.conf file (slightly modified stock file, only encodes 3 formats):

# -----------------$HOME/.abcde.conf----------------- #
#
# A sample configuration file to convert music cds to
# MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Musepack & AAC
# using abcde version 2.3.99.6
#
# http://andrews-corner.org/abcde.html
# -------------------------------------------------- #

OGGENCODERSYNTAX=oggenc # Specify encoder for Ogg Vorbis
MP3ENCODERSYNTAX=lame # Specify encoder for MP3
FLACENCODERSYNTAX=flac # Specify encoder for FLAC
MPPENCODERSYNTAX=mppenc # Specify encoder for Musepack
AACENCODERSYNTAX=faac # Specify encoder for AAC

OGGENC=oggenc # Path to Ogg Vorbis encoder
LAME=lame # Path to MP3 encoder
FLAC=flac # Path to FLAC encoder
MPPENC=mppenc # Path to Musepack encoder
AACENC=faac # Path to AAC encoder

OGGENCOPTS='-q 6' # Options for Ogg Vorbis
LAMEOPTS='--preset extreme' # Options for MP3
FLACOPTS='--verify --best' # Options for FLAC
MPPENCOPTS='--extreme' # Options for Musepack
AACENCOPTS='-q 250 -w -s' # Options for AAC

OUTPUTTYPE="mp3,flac,m4a" # Encode to just 3 formats!

CDPARANOIA=cdparanoia
CDPARANOIAOPTS="--never-skip=40"

# Give the location of the CD identification program:
CDDISCID=cd-discid

OUTPUTDIR="$HOME/Music/"
ACTIONS=cddb,playlist,read,encode,tag,move,clean
VAOUTPUTFORMAT='${OUTPUT}/Various-${ALBUMFILE}/${TRACKNUM}.${ARTISTFILE}-${TRACKFILE}'
ONETRACKOUTPUTFORMAT='${OUTPUT}/${ARTISTFILE}-${ALBUMFILE}/${ALBUMFILE}'
VAONETRACKOUTPUTFORMAT='${OUTPUT}/Various-${ALBUMFILE}/${ALBUMFILE}'

# Create playlists for single and various-artist encodes. I would suggest
# commenting these out for single-track encoding.
PLAYLISTFORMAT='${OUTPUT}/${ARTISTFILE}-${ALBUMFILE}/${ALBUMFILE}.m3u'
VAPLAYLISTFORMAT='${OUTPUT}/Various-${ALBUMFILE}/${ALBUMFILE}.m3u'

mungefilename ()
{
echo "$@" | sed s,:,-,g | tr / _ | tr -d \'\"\?\[:cntrl:\]
}
MAXPROCS=4 # Run a few encoders simultaneously
PADTRACKS=y # Makes tracks 01 02 not 1 2
EXTRAVERBOSE=y # Useful for debugging
EJECTCD=y # Please eject cd when finished :-)

The contents of one of the temporary directories created while abcde runs (note only the first 4 tracks are encoded):

bob@Basement:/home/xbmc/abcde.e7112e11$ ls
cddbchoices status track02.wav track04.wav track10.wav track16.wav
cddbquery track01.flac track03.flac track05.wav track11.wav track17.wav
cddbread.1 track01.mp3 track03.mp3 track06.wav track12.wav
cddbstat track01.wav track03.wav track07.wav track13.wav
discid track02.flac track04.flac track08.wav track14.wav
errors track02.mp3 track04.mp3 track09.wav track15.wav

The contents of the file "errors":

encodetrack-m4a-01: returned code 1: nice -n 10 faac -q 250 -w -s --artist Prince --album The Very Best of Prince --title I Wanna Be Your Lover --track 01 --genre Rock --year 2001 --comment -o /home/xbmc/abcde.e7112e11/track01.m4a /home/xbmc/abcde.e7112e11/track01.wav
encodetrack-m4a-02: returned code 1: nice -n 10 faac -q 250 -w -s --artist Prince --album The Very Best of Prince --title 1999 --track 02 --genre Rock --year 2001 --comment -o /home/xbmc/abcde.e7112e11/track02.m4a /home/xbmc/abcde.e7112e11/track02.wav
encodetrack-m4a-03: returned code 1: nice -n 10 faac -q 250 -w -s --artist Prince --album The Very Best of Prince --title Little Red Corvette --track 03 --genre Rock --year 2001 --comment -o /home/xbmc/abcde.e7112e11/track03.m4a /home/xbmc/abcde.e7112e11/track03.wav
encodetrack-m4a-04: returned code 1: nice -n 10 faac -q 250 -w -s --artist Prince --album The Very Best of Prince --title When Doves Cry --track 04 --genre Rock --year 2001 --comment -o /home/xbmc/abcde.e7112e11/track04.m4a /home/xbmc/abcde.e7112e11/track04.wav

The contents of the file "status":

abcde-version=2.4
cdparanoia-audio-tracks=17
cddbmethod=cddb
cddb-statcomplete
cddb-querycomplete
cddb-read-1-complete
cddb-choice=1
cddb-readcomplete
variousartists=
variousartiststyle=forward
cddb-edit
playlistcomplete
playlistcomplete
playlistcomplete
readtrack-01
encodetracklocation-%local1%=01
readtrack-02
encodetracklocation-%local2%=02
encodetrack-mp3-01
encodetrack-flac-01
readtrack-03
encodetracklocation-%local3%=03
encodetrack-mp3-02
readtrack-03
encodetracklocation-%local3%=03
encodetrack-mp3-02
encodetrack-flac-02
readtrack-04
encodetracklocation-%local4%=04
encodetrack-mp3-03
readtrack-05
encodetrack-mp3-04
encodetrack-flac-03
encodetrack-flac-04
readtrack-06
readtrack-07
readtrack-08
readtrack-09
readtrack-10
readtrack-11
readtrack-12
readtrack-13
readtrack-14
readtrack-15
readtrack-16
readtrack-17

andrew.46
May 31st, 2010, 09:34 AM
Hi JRobertBuchanan,

I wonder if your copy of faac has been compiled against mp4v2, which is where the -w -s options come from. Have a look at:

andrew@skamandros~$ faac -h
Freeware Advanced Audio Coder
FAAC 1.28

Usage: faac [options] infiles ...
Options:
-q <quality> Set quantizer quality.
-b <bitrate> Set average bitrate to x kbps. (ABR, lower quality mode)
-c <freq> Set the bandwidth in Hz. (default=automatic)
-o X Set output file to X (only for one input file)
-r Use RAW AAC output file.
-P Raw PCM input mode (default 44100Hz 16bit stereo).
-R Raw PCM input rate.
-B Raw PCM input sample size (8, 16 (default), 24 or 32bits).
-C Raw PCM input channels.
-X Raw PCM swap input bytes
-I <C,LF> Input channel config, default is 3,4 (Center third, LF fourth)

MP4 specific options:
-w Wrap AAC data in MP4 container. (default for *.mp4 and *.m4a)
-s Optimize MP4 container layout after encoding
--artist X Set artist to X
--writer X Set writer to X
--title X Set title to X
--genre X Set genre to X
--album X Set album to X
--compilation Set compilation
--track X Set track to X (number/total)
--disc X Set disc to X (number/total)
--year X Set year to X
--cover-art X Read cover art from file X
--comment X Set comment to X

Documentation:
--license Show the FAAC license.
--help Show this abbreviated help.
--long-help Show complete help.

More tips can be found in the audiocoding.com Knowledge Base at
<http://www.audiocoding.com/wiki/>

and see if these options exist for you. If not, and I suspect this is the problem, you could try and recompile faac against libmp4v2 or simply alter the aac options in ~/.abcde.conf to:

AACENCOPTS='-q 250' # Options for AAC

That 'andrews-corner' abcde webpage certainly is popular :).

All the best,

Andrew

JRobertBuchanan
May 31st, 2010, 01:42 PM
Andrew,

Thanks for your razor sharp insight. I have faac version 1.26.1 which has the -w option, but not the -s option. I removed the -s portion of the AACENOPTS, and it looks like things are working now. Your page certainly is popular. abcde (once configured properly) is very easy to use. I have twenty years worth of CDs to rip, archive, and make available for streaming to my squeezebox, iphone, xbmc, etc and I just like being able to pop a CD in the tray, type "abcde" and forget about it. Now if I could just teach the cat to change the CDs for me, it would be nearly automated.

Thanks again,
Bob

JRobertBuchanan
May 31st, 2010, 04:42 PM
Just one more problem to solve for today:

Thanks to Andrew's help I've made a great deal of progress today. The last error I seem to be unable to overcome on my own is the tagging of some flac files. Here are the errors:

[ERROR] abcde: The following commands failed to run:
tagtrack-flac-01: returned code 1: nice -n 10 metaflac --no-utf8-convert --import-tags-from=- /home/xbmc/abcde.a60ce50c/track01.flac
tagtrack-flac-04: returned code 1: nice -n 10 metaflac --no-utf8-convert --import-tags-from=- /home/xbmc/abcde.a60ce50c/track04.flac
tagtrack-flac-07: returned code 1: nice -n 10 metaflac --no-utf8-convert --import-tags-from=- /home/xbmc/abcde.a60ce50c/track07.flac
tagtrack-flac-11: returned code 1: nice -n 10 metaflac --no-utf8-convert --import-tags-from=- /home/xbmc/abcde.a60ce50c/track11.flac

I get the same errors with and also without the "--no-utf8-convert" option. One of these track titles contains an umlaut, but the other three are all just english letters (and spaces).

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

andrew.46
June 1st, 2010, 08:10 AM
Hi JRobertBuchanan,

This one I am not sure about, but I would certainly check the obvious i.e. that both metaflac and flac are installed. If they are in place try running abcde in 'debug' mode:

abcde -D 2>$HOME/Desktop/abcde_log

Hopefully this will reveal the problem... Perhaps have a quick look at this thread as well:

metaflac, utf-8 (and abcde)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=534603

All the best,

Andrew

JRobertBuchanan
June 1st, 2010, 02:04 PM
Andrew,

Thanks I figured it out after watching the reading and encoding process carefully.

It just wouldn't be Tuesday if I didn't have yet another question. I am using the following formats in my .abcde.conf file.

OUTPUTFORMAT='${OUTPUT}/${ARTISTFILE}/${ALBUMFILE}/${TRACKNUM}.${TRACKFILE}'
VAOUTPUTFORMAT='${OUTPUT}/Various/${ALBUMFILE}/${TRACKNUM}.${ARTISTFILE}-${TRACKFILE}'
PLAYLISTFORMAT='${OUTPUT}/${ARTISTFILE}/${ALBUMFILE}/${ALBUMFILE}.m3u'
VAPLAYLISTFORMAT='${OUTPUT}/Various/${ALBUMFILE}/${ALBUMFILE}.m3u'

The OUTPUTFORMAT and VAOUTPUTFORMAT seem to be honored by abcde, but it seems like the PLAYLISTFORMAT and VAPLAYLISTFORMAT are sticking to the defaults in the bash script. Since, I'm new to understanding abcde and it function, could there be a bug in the script? For example after ripping the CD "Comfort Eagle" by the artist CAKE, I get the following in my music folder.

bob@Basement:~$ ls -R /home/xbmc/Music/mp3/CAKE*
/home/xbmc/Music/mp3/CAKE:
Comfort Eagle

/home/xbmc/Music/mp3/CAKE/Comfort Eagle:
01.Opera Singer.mp3 07.Comfort Eagle.mp3
02.Meanwhile, Rick James....mp3 08.Long Line Of Cars.mp3
03.Shadow Stabbing.mp3 09.Love You Madly.mp3
04.Short Skirt_Long Jacket.mp3 10.Pretty Pink Ribbon.mp3
05.Commissioning A Symphony In C.mp3 11.World Of Two.mp3
06.Arco Arena (Instrumental).mp3

/home/xbmc/Music/mp3/CAKE-Comfort Eagle:
Comfort Eagle.m3u

Do the constructed playlists really matter? Could I move them into the proper folders myself?

Thanks,
Bob

ikacer
June 22nd, 2010, 11:00 PM
A quick correction to post 23 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3226612&postcount=23) in this thread, for those wondering how to get vorbisgain to work with abcde:

VorbisGain puts a replay gain tag in the ogg file, so you want to use the replaygain action instead of the normalize action in you abcde.conf.

The following are the minimum settings in abcde.conf which will enable album gain using vorbisgain.

OGGENCODERSYNTAX=oggenc
OGGENC=oggenc
VORBISGAIN=vorbisgain
VORBISGAINOPTS='-a'
ACTIONS=cddb,playlist,read,encode,replaygain,tag,m ove,clean
BATCHNORM=y
OUTPUTTYPE=ogg

note, the actions array must contain replaygain after encode.

area46
August 15th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Many thanks for this great guide on abcde!
It helped me to save many hours to search for the right settings. With this guide I learned how to encode in flac and mp3 and to save automatically into different folders. This is very close to perfect!

There is just one thing that I would need to make it perfect.
Is there a way to automatically download cover art?
What tool do you use to add the cover art to the ripped cds?

drknot
March 26th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I cannot get abcde to save to a specified directory

I have tried
OUTPUTDIR = ~/Music/
or
OUTPUTDIR = "$HOME/Music/"
and variations with and without trailing/, subdirectory targets and still get something along the lines of :

/home/drknot/.abcde.conf: line 232: /home/drknot/Music/: is a directory

Frustrated!!
Once I can get this to work I'll try having separate directories for ogg v MP3

nickrout
March 26th, 2011, 07:53 PM
try without a space either side of the = sign

drknot
March 27th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I now feel officially daft!

Thank you - the leading space after the OUTPUTDIR= was the problem.

andrew.46
December 6th, 2012, 01:06 PM
This long thread will not be open for much longer so I will necropost a little to let the abcde faithful know that there have been 2 nice changes in abcde just recently:

Musepack SV8 is now supported, support for SV7 has been discarded.
Encoding with neroAacEnc is now possible without patching, Tagging with AtomicParsley for the moment.

Details here:

http://code.google.com/p/abcde/source/list

Still exciting times now and in the future for abcde :)

offgridguy
December 6th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Interesting thread.

andrew.46
December 16th, 2012, 08:19 AM
And now encoding with opusenc is in place so abcde can rip cds to the new Opus Interactive Audio Codec.

Opus Interactive Audio Codec
http://www.opus-codec.org/

73bazinga
January 30th, 2013, 07:32 AM
I read earlier in the thread about selecting cd drive to read from. i am trying to read from and external usb drive.

I can see the disc but cannot get abcde to read it instead of my main drive. using -d. I assume i have the wrong path to the drive but being new cannot figure out how to find the path. i bookmarked the drive and got cdda://sr1/ but cannot figure out how to format the path to get abcde to read it i just get the error cannot find cd drive.

any suggestions?

andrew.46
January 30th, 2013, 12:51 PM
If you have an ~/.abcde.conf file try placing:

CDROM=/dev/sr1

and this might get things going...

nickrout
January 31st, 2013, 05:30 AM
I read earlier in the thread about selecting cd drive to read from. i am trying to read from and external usb drive.

I can see the disc but cannot get abcde to read it instead of my main drive. using -d. I assume i have the wrong path to the drive but being new cannot figure out how to find the path. i bookmarked the drive and got cdda://sr1/ but cannot figure out how to format the path to get abcde to read it i just get the error cannot find cd drive.

any suggestions?

it will be something like /dev/sr1

when you plug in the drive the output of the dmesg command will give you some clues.

73bazinga
February 1st, 2013, 05:08 PM
Thank you nicrout and andrew.46 i will try this when i get home.

it will be something like /dev/sr1

when you plug in the drive the output of the dmesg command will give you some clues.

what is dmsg comand. and how do i use it effectively?

nickrout
February 1st, 2013, 09:41 PM
type dmesg into a terminal and see the output of the the kernel ring buffer, ie what the kernel ouputs when (for example) and external device is plugged or unplugged.

73bazinga
February 1st, 2013, 10:02 PM
Thank you nickrout. i will try that in a few hours. hopefully i can get it to work.

73bazinga
February 2nd, 2013, 07:13 AM
Worked for sure. turns out it was /dev/sr1 although i could have sworn i tried that yesterday.

thanks for the help guys. was able to run both drives at the same time from different terminals

andrew.46
February 2nd, 2013, 10:19 AM
Good to hear the issue has been resolved :)

BFG
February 15th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I'm just getting into abcde as I found that my old fave - ripperx is unstable after 12.04.

Lots of good info in this thread. I'm trying to get abcde to write into the ID3 comment tag for mp3s, giving the lame parameters used in the encoding, which works to a point.

Edit: Got it working.

In my ~/.abcde.conf I have the following set:

# Add a comment into the ID3 comment tag
COMMENT='Created using lame ${MP3ENCODEROPTS}'

In my case the mp3 tag results in "Created using lame -V0 --vbr-new -q0 --lowpass 19.7 -b96"

73bazinga
February 16th, 2013, 08:09 PM
I'm just getting into abcde as I found that my old fave - ripperx is unstable after 12.04.

Lots of good info in this thread. I'm trying to get abcde to write into the ID3 comment tag for mp3s, giving the lame parameters used in the encoding, which works to a point.

Edit: Got it working.

In my ~/.abcde.conf I have the following set:

# Add a comment into the ID3 comment tag
COMMENT='Created using lame ${MP3ENCODEROPTS}'
In my case the mp3 tag results in "Created using lame -V0 --vbr-new -q0 --lowpass 19.7 -b96"

I am not 100% sure what all you are hoping to accomplish but you can edit the CDDB info before you start the rip.

A good allternative if you don't mind a small bit of post tagging, EasyTAG is a great program for mass editing of ID3 tags. particularly if you are wanting to insert the same thing in a field for multiple files.

andrew.46
April 20th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Those who follow the development version of abcde might be interested to know that there is now support for the newest version of eyeD3 (the new default mp3 tagger):

http://code.google.com/p/abcde/source/detail?r=379

Anaximander Thales
June 4th, 2013, 09:04 PM
I am trying to get some post encoding commands to run -- specifically I am running two commands. The first is running avconv to convert the FLAC files to ALAC. The second then changes ownership from root to my user. The files belong to root as I have a udev rule to automatically run abcde on the insertion of a cd.

However, neither of these are working. I attempted to put in echo commands; I don't get any output from post_encode(). Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I've looked through the original/full abcde.conf file, and I can see nothing about enable post_encode() other than uncomment and replace the ':' with my commands. Here's what I have in post_encode (in my /etc/abcde.conf)

# post_encode
# By default it does nothing.
# You can set some things to get abcde function in better ways:
# * Move the resulting directory over the network
# * Compare results with a previously made run, for tests
# KEEP IN MIND that executables included in post_encode must be in
# your $PATH or you have to define them with full /path/to/binary
#
# Convert from FLAC to ALAC in .m4a format for ipod, then set owner
# privledge's for user.
post_encode ()
{
cd "$OUTPUTDIR/$ARTISTFILE/$ALBUMFILE"
for FILE in *.flac;
/bin/echo "Converting $FILE to ALAC ..."
do /usr/bin/avconv -i "$FILE" -c:a alac "${FILE%.flac}.m4a";
done

cd "$OUTPUTDIR"

echo "Setting priveledges to $ARTISTFILE ..."
/bin/chown -R at:at $ARTISTFILE

}

Anaximander Thales
June 7th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Okay -- after much tinkering I figured out what needed to be done to make my post_encode portion work.

I first had to edit the /usr/bin/abcde file and add these parts after the call to post_encode:

line 4451 /usr/bin/abcde version 2.5.4

post_encode $(mungefilename $TRACKARTIST) $(mungefilename $DALBUM) $OUTPUTDIR

Then, my abcde.conf file changed thusly:

abcde.conf file

post_encode()
{
BASEDIR="$3"
ARTIST="$1"
ALBUM="$2"

cd "$BASEDIR/$ARTIST/$ALBUM"
pwd

for FILE in *.flac; do
echo "Converting $FLAC to ALAC ..."
avconv -i "$FILE" -c:a alac "${FILE%.flac}.m4a";
done

rm *.flac

cd "$BASEDIR"
pwd

echo "Setting privledges to $ARTIST ..."
chown -R at:at "$ARTIAT"

}

ljpp
July 8th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Is ABCDE ripping secure and can it handle drive's read offset? I am under the impression that RubyRipper is the way to go on Ubuntu/Linux, or Exact Audio Copy but that needs Wine.
Article on RubyRipper: http://www.bitburners.com/blogs/2