PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Keyboard configuration - dead keys, vowels accents

cirorodrigues
March 12th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Hi all,
I'm using Intrepid Ibex (and Gnome) in a notebook with French keyboard layout (a.k.a. AZERTY). But usually I write documents in Portuguese, what requires many accented vowels (like , , , , ) which are not available in this layout.
For people not used to French layout, it works with compose keys, where AltGr+key produces an accented French character (like "", ""). Tilde (~), circunflex (^) and grave (`) are available as regular keys but there's no accute () key.
With Intrepid Ibex, tilde, circulflex and grave are not dead-keys (I'm using default French layout).
I remember (from DOS times) I used US Intl keyboards with dead keys to get all accented chars and I suppose it would work with Linux. But if I change the layout to this one, my keyboard will be messed as US is QWERTY.
I could imagine two options, but I don't know how to implement them. Any help will be welcome:
1) To change layout to US Intl with dead keys - but then I'll need to remap keys Q, W, A, Z, M and many others like ?,/, etc to fit physical French keyboard (no, change keys physically with an screwdriver is not an option).
2) To setup tilde and other accents as dead-keys and assign accute accent to some available key.

Does anybody can help on this ?

Thanks in advance.