PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Keyboard configuration - dead keys, vowels accents

cirorodrigues
March 12th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Hi all,
I'm using Intrepid Ibex (and Gnome) in a notebook with French keyboard layout (a.k.a. AZERTY). But usually I write documents in Portuguese, what requires many accented vowels (like á, ú, í, ó, õ) which are not available in this layout.
For people not used to French layout, it works with compose keys, where AltGr+key produces an accented French character (like "é", "à"). Tilde (~), circunflex (^) and grave (`) are available as regular keys but there's no accute (´) key.
With Intrepid Ibex, tilde, circulflex and grave are not dead-keys (I'm using default French layout).
I remember (from DOS times) I used US Intl keyboards with dead keys to get all accented chars and I suppose it would work with Linux. But if I change the layout to this one, my keyboard will be messed as US is QWERTY.
I could imagine two options, but I don't know how to implement them. Any help will be welcome:
1) To change layout to US Intl with dead keys - but then I'll need to remap keys Q, W, A, Z, M and many others like ?,/, etc to fit physical French keyboard (no, change keys physically with an screwdriver is not an option).
2) To setup tilde and other accents as dead-keys and assign accute accent to some available key.

Does anybody can help on this ?

Thanks in advance.