PDA

View Full Version : final fantasy XI on WINE?

akurashy
December 28th, 2005, 09:09 PM
anyone running FFXI online in linux?

madjinx
December 28th, 2005, 11:10 PM
i dont think anyone has gotten it to work. PLayOnline doesnt seem to install right.

akurashy
December 29th, 2005, 02:01 AM
damn =/

xdarkxanarchyx
June 8th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Has anybody gotten it to work yet? My friends begging me to play but I refuse to install Windows on my machine.

AdonisEffect
June 8th, 2007, 04:04 AM
I tried for ages to install FFXI.
It's one of the only apps I keep Windows around for.

If anyone has better luck, I'd love to hear about it!

elehayyme
June 12th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I've been trying to get it to work for a while but no luck. Someone mentioned to me their friend got it to work but I think it's a fib.

hikaricore
June 12th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Doesn't look promising: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=2739

daynah
June 12th, 2007, 11:02 PM
On a completely not-related-to-ubuntu note...

If, in your searches for getting FFXI to work in Ubuntu, you find a way to get it to work with an Intel video card, gimmie a pm, kay? I'd appreciate it. It'll save me the cost of a new laptop. :)

xdarkxanarchyx
June 20th, 2007, 09:22 AM
If you do get a new lappy, will it be from System76 or Dell?

Ketahazure
December 30th, 2007, 09:08 AM
is this thread dead cause if not im interested.

peter120980
January 30th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Has anyone had any luck yet getting FFXI to run under linux, I really dont wanna have to install windows if possible, ffxi is the only program that I need windows fro at the moment.

luke949
February 6th, 2008, 02:46 AM
I too would like to see ffxi run on linux. FFXI is the only reason why i dual boot my computer.

Hazed
March 16th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Same here, if someone gets this to work I'd love to know how!

kurgan78
September 27th, 2008, 01:02 AM
FFXI is currently working with WINE with a few minor caveats. I got it working on my laptop using the instructions on the site linked below.

See http://www.wineffxi.org

almigi
November 20th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I too would love to get Final Fantasy XI working under Linux. As a matter of fact, it's probably the only reason why I dual-boot :)

My question is this, the computer I use came with Vista preinstalled, and I don't have XP. According to every resource I can find online, in order to get FFXI working with WINE, I need a copy of the dxdiagn.dll from Windows XP.

However, with Vista, there is also a dxdiagn.dll file as well. Will this file work, or do I need to have one my XP using friends send me a copy of their dxdiagn.dll file?

- Alan

Hariharakadan
November 26th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Yep FFXI can now run in Ubuntu and other linux distros! ^^
Mad props to Pandoraxero and several many others that contributed to this information.

http://www.wineffxi.org/ubuntu
http://forums.ffxiclopedia.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14827

or join us at irc.vanachat.com #Wine

I hope this helps.

almigi
November 29th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I've managed to get Final Fantasy XI working under Wine a few days ago and now will probably wipe Windows off my computer and go full time Linux.

Piece of advice... I've noticed a slight improvement in performance in FFXI under Wine after I downloaded Winetricks and used that script to install Directx9 on my system. Also, after I used winetricks to install Directx9, I was able to view the intro movie again, something that never worked before under Wine.

Also, every guide I could find online regarding installing FFXI under Wine has steps regarding importing a dxdiagn.dll file from a working version of XP, and useing winecfg to associate that file with pol.exe (The PlayOnline Viewer). However, I believe if you use winetricks to install DirectX9 under Wine first, then you can skip those steps. This is because dixdiagn.dll is part of the Directx9 install and winetricks automatically sets it up so by default that file (and a dozen other .dlls) are set up so that Wine uses the Windows native version of the file.

- Alan

wfutch79
January 6th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I have followed to tutorial given above perfectly. I had everything working... I thought. I have a screenshot attached to kind of explain what I am experiencing.

I have my WINE configured to a desktop size of 1024x768. I also have my FFXI resolution set up to 1024x768 through regedit, It seems when FFXI starts it only wants to show up in the area of the desktop where Playonline was showing, I can change the window sizes and resolution and it still does the same thing. Anyone else experience this? How do I fix it? I have been working for almost 3 days straight trying to figure this out and I am stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

*sorry if I pulled up an old, dead thread, it was the first one that came up when I searched.*

*Edit: ok... I got this issue resolved,,,, BUT a new one arose. Once I hit the accept button to go on to the character selection screen it goes black, I sit for a few minutes to make sure it is not lag or anything and it just sits there with a black screen. Any help with this new issue?

Bachai
May 9th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I am not having that problem only that I am unable to even get FFXI to load up at all using wine for my HP running off the 64 bit architechture. I ahve a Phenom x4 64 processor with 8 gigs of ram. I am sick of vista and want to play FFXI on Ubuntu. Need help. New to Ubuntu and wine. If I need to install wine tricks where can I find that dl at?
Thanks in advance.

I have found winetricks and I am wokrking on it now. Hope it works. So sick of microsoft.

Bachai
May 9th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I can get FFXI to load and I have sound. However I do not have visual. ANy h elp would be apreciated thanks.

OK it would seem that I have to run FFXI in teh 32 bit architecture with wine for it to work. I have my video issues resolved and I am not windows free. It just took me some time to figure it out.

Hakaken
September 8th, 2009, 06:26 AM
well ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2739

Varout
May 7th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Has anyone had any luck using the original install CDs? I don't have the 2008 Vana'diel collection

intrloper
October 15th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I am a Win7 user that really wants to start using Linux but FFXI kinda is the deal breaker. I dont want to dual boot OS(s).

I am wonding if Windower is usable with FFXI and Wine under Ubuntu?

Anyone with any info on this?