PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] internet sharing

chmbrs
March 12th, 2009, 03:23 AM
hello forum. im looking for some help with internet sharing.
i have a pc which i use to connect to various wireless networks around me.
thanks to backtrack and aircrack-ng i have many choices. my neighbor gave me an old laptop, 200mb ram, 6gb hdd, celeron 500mhz. i installed vector linux lite on it after trying:

dsl, puppy, feather, niblex and couple others. vector was the best for me.

now id like to share my connection with my laptop when im at home. i have a wifi card but signal sucks and it makes my head hurt. i have a regular ethernet cable and thats it. i read about the topic but havent found any solid answers. is there a way to share the internet without a router or a crossover cable. maybe apache server is the answer. im pretty much clueless about sharing i connection. any tips. Thanks in advance.:D

firefly2442
March 12th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I used firestarter in conjunction with a DHCP server to dole out IP addresses. Firestarter is a firewall but it also has a handy configuration wizard to share your connection. I never tried it with wireless but I was able to share my cable connection with the rest of the computers in my apartment. Anyway, maybe this is something you could look in to? Good luck.

Adina
March 12th, 2009, 08:35 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Internet/ConnectionSharing

nelskurian
March 12th, 2009, 09:11 AM
You can setup one machine as gateway and another as client.You must configure iptables for forwarding the data packets.Also use squid for proxy server setup.

xpod
March 12th, 2009, 10:59 AM
i have a pc which i use to connect to various wireless networks around me.thanks to backtrack and aircrack-ng i have many choices.

now id like to share my connection with my laptop when im at home.

Is this your own connection your sharing or one of your neighbours?

Either way you`d need a crossover cable and a second NIC(normally) for ICS if you dont have a switch or router of some sort.

chmbrs
March 14th, 2009, 03:28 AM
thank you for your replies i will look into them.

and of course its my connection. :)