PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Run Gnome and a tiling window manager at the same time

oneself
March 12th, 2009, 02:53 AM
I've been using Ubuntu with Gnome for some time, but have been eager to switch to tiling window manager. I've researched a few including Ion3, XMonAd, and Awesome.

I think I like ion3 the best, but they all share the same problem: They replace gnome as a desktop. This in itself is not a problem, but Gnome (and other desktops) offer more services then just managing windows.

Specifically, I like having a system tray for applications like Amarok, volume control, DropBox, and the network manager (which critical on a laptop with wlan).

Most of the aforementioned window managers are really hardcore, and so they don't really support "newbie" facilities like a graphical volume control, etc. I was hoping I could run one of them on top of Gnome.

Has anyone been able to accomplish this, and can point me to a configuration HOW-TO?

Thanks

kellemes
March 12th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I've been using Ubuntu with Gnome for some time, but have been eager to switch to tiling window manager. I've researched a few including Ion3, XMonAd, and Awesome.

I think I like ion3 the best, but they all share the same problem: They replace gnome as a desktop. This in itself is not a problem, but Gnome (and other desktops) offer more services then just managing windows.

Specifically, I like having a system tray for applications like Amarok, volume control, DropBox, and the network manager (which critical on a laptop with wlan).

Most of the aforementioned window managers are really hardcore, and so they don't really support "newbie" facilities like a graphical volume control, etc. I was hoping I could run one of them on top of Gnome.

Has anyone been able to accomplish this, and can point me to a configuration HOW-TO?

Thanks

No tiling window manager can replace Gnome since Gnome is not a window manager itself, you can replace Metacity (wm used by Gnome).
This guide from the Awesome wiki explains how.. (not tried myself)http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/index.php?title=Quickly_Setting_up_Awesome_with_Gn ome

By the way, Awesome isn't very hardcore, it does include a systemtray and a menu-system etc.. But I do understand the wish for the more luxury Gnome features..