PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with Home folder after 8.10 Upgrade

Misaru-Meep
March 12th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I apologize if there is something similiar to this elsewhere, though I did search. I decided this might have a greater chance of being seen and answered if it was a thread rather than on someone else's (for those who have seen this question on the other thread I posted to). Ever since I've upgraded from Hardy Heron, my Home folder is inaccessible from the "Places" menu. I can reach it by going into Computer and whatnot, but it says it cannot open that folder (and the bookmarks leading straight to 'Documents', 'Pictures' etc) with the message:

Could not open location 'file:///home/lizz'
Failed to execute child process "/media/KLAUSIE/Floola-linux/ffmpeg/Floola" (No such file or directory)

"Klausie" is my iPod. Soon after this, I started getting a message whenever I logged into Ubuntu saying:

User's $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and language from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. User's $HOME directory must be owned my user and not writeable by other users.

I assume these are related? I'd greatly appreciate any help! 3:

**I'm still pretty new to Ubuntu, though I have gotten my foot through the door with some things. Please be kind--I'm a beginner who'd love to learn.**

*(If it is a little hard to understand, I mean that clicking on "Home Folder" from the "Places" menu brings that first message. If I want to get into the folder, or anything inside of it, I must go through Computer.)*

***I have successfully gotten rid of the message about me having priviledges to open my home folder, but I still have the other problem, about not being able to open it in general, or any of it's subfolders, from the "Places" menu***

FakeOutdoorsman
March 12th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Perhaps this excellent tutorial will help:

Solving .dmrc and $HOME Permission Errors (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=976610)

Misaru-Meep
March 12th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Thank you very much for that page. I did try those commands, but I still had the same problem, and it told me access was still denied to those files, in the terminal. Haha. I posted the problem there, though. Thanks.

drs305
March 13th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Thank you very much for that page. I did try those commands, but I still had the same problem, and it told me access was still denied to those files, in the terminal. Haha. I posted the problem there, though. Thanks.

I wrote the .dmrc tutorial referenced above. I am not sure I understand your problem. Are you saying that if you click on your home folder (at the top of the Places menu) you can't see any of the files/folders in the left pane? If the "it" is your home folder itself, the following may help. If the "it" refers to your iPod, it won't.

One problem may be permissions of some of the files/folders in your home. The commands in the tutorial for solving the .dmrc permissions were written to affect as few files as possible. You may have noticed that the commands did not use the "-R" (recursive) option, which would change ownership and permissions of all files and subfolders/files.

Normally everything in your own home folder and below is owned by you and you shouldn't have a problem using the "-R" switch. If you are sure you want to change everything to belong to you in your home folder, you can run this command. Just make sure to either copy the command or type it exactly. If you run a -R command with sudo and mistype the target you can mess up your install to the point of having to reinstall the system. The second command sets up permissions. You can change the number to suit your wishes. 755 gives you read-write-execute and your group and others read-execute.

sudo chown -R lizz:lizz /home/lizz
chmod -R 755 /home/lizz

Misaru-Meep
March 13th, 2009, 01:59 AM
My problem is that when I click on "places" "Home Folder" is there, but when I click on it, I get the "Klausie Message"

But that folder it's talking about, only exists when I attach my iPod. I get the same message whether or not I have my iPod attached. The directions you gave me, I *think* solved the other message showing up. But I just did it again, and got this:

lizz@lizz-laptop:~$ sudo chown -R lizz:lizz /home/lizz
[sudo] password for lizz:
chown: cannot access `/home/lizz/.gvfs': Permission denied

I'm not sure what to do from here. Thank you for trying to help, so far, though. I appreciate it greatly! :)

drs305
March 13th, 2009, 12:22 PM
As bodhi.zazen said in the other thread, the .gvfs error message is normal.

I don't know if your problem is specific to the iPod setup or a general nautilus one. There were bug reports filed at one point for nautilus regarding a similar issue. Try opening nautilus, right click on any folder, select "Properties", "Open with", and select "open folder".

If that doesn't solve it, try variations discussed in posts 6 and 7 in this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=969158#6

Misaru-Meep
March 14th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Wow--I feel pretty silly. Haha. Thanks for your help. When I upgraded, it only left "Floola" as a source for opening folders. I went and added "open folder" and made it set to that and now it's solved.

Thank you SO much for your help!