PDA

View Full Version : I think its time to...

xequence
December 28th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Back up my music :P

Ive had alot of close calls, thinking my music collection was deleted by an OS installer. (FreeBSD, Windows 98, etc :P When I partition I always think something went wrong).

Ok, I have a cd burner. I also have 50 CDs, ive maybe burned 10 of them, so I have 40 left. I have about 5.7 GB of music. With a 700mb CD, id need 8 or 9 CDs.

Should I do this? I will be probably getting a new computer ether soon or within the next few months that will hopefully have a dual layer DVD burner.

How would I know my music is perfectly burned to the CD? I use nero burning ROM to burn stuff. It has an option, I think, to check the integrity of the burn. Will that work well?

Should I burn it as an MP3 CD, or a data CD?

I want to keep the structure, Where there is a big folder for music and folders inside for albums (Named like this: Pink Floyd - The Wall, or Muse - Absolution). Inside those folders are the songs in the album.

chimera
December 28th, 2005, 07:47 PM
If yoiu want to keep the structure you'll have to make a data cd.
And you can check if it's burned OK by listening to every track;)

ninotob
December 28th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Remember floppies? I haven't had a floppy drive in years. Personally, I think CDs are about to go that route. First, you could do this to a DVD -- well 2 unless you have dual layer. But if you don't end up having a DVD burner, why bother with that either -- it'll go the way of the floppy too someday.

Here's the thing to get, a firewire/usb shell for laptop hard drives. The whole setup will be less than $150, fits in a shirt pocket, requires no power cords additional to the USB/firewire cables, is silent, fast, and convenient. And personally, I just don't trust writeable disks. Just the other day, I noticed one of my CDs (a sony I believe BTW) that certainly wasn't more than 2 years old had the silver backing peeling off like old paint.

Lord Illidan
December 28th, 2005, 07:57 PM
I believe K3B will check the integrity of burned music files.

however, I believe that ninotob had the best answer, get a portable hard drive. Not very expensive, reliable, and long lasting, USB isn't about to go for a long, long time..

ardchoille
December 28th, 2005, 08:21 PM
ninotob has the right answer, IMHO. I bought a 40Gb external USB drive and it ROCKS!

xequence
December 28th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I cant afford an external drive...

I will spend all my money, and then some, on a new computer + a monitor :P

Remember floppies? I haven't had a floppy drive in years. Personally, I think CDs are about to go that route. First, you could do this to a DVD -- well 2 unless you have dual layer. But if you don't end up having a DVD burner, why bother with that either -- it'll go the way of the floppy too someday.

I still have a floppy drive.

Lord Illidan
December 28th, 2005, 09:24 PM
I cant afford an external drive...
I still have a floppy drive.

Great.... Now, how many floppies will you need... about 4060 floppies. Ok, I think you may start...hopefully, by 2050, you will be inserting the last floppy.

nemik
December 28th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Great.... Now, how many floppies will you need... about 4060 floppies. Ok, I think you may start...hopefully, by 2050, you will be inserting the last floppy.

hey! you stop making fun of floppies right now!

they hold the short leg on my table very very well.

mstlyevil
December 28th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Floppy drives are still usefull if you need to load raid or SATA controller drivers. Also, if you run WinXp Pro and do not have a third party backup utility they come in handy to back up the MBR and all of your favorites and settings if you have to format. I still install one in my computers just in case. (I rarely have to actually use one but the few times I needed it, it was a lifesaver.)

SteelValor
December 28th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I still have 5.25 C-64 floppies that still work :shock: :shock: :o Try saving your collection on those ;D

ninotob
December 29th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Ah heck, I'll lend you my radio shack tape recorder -- used that to store programs and data on my TRS-80 Color Computer some years back -- how many 15 minute cassette tapes do you think it'll take?? ;-)

xequence
December 29th, 2005, 05:28 AM
how many 15 minute cassette tapes do you think it'll take?? ;-)

futz
December 29th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Ah heck, I'll lend you my radio shack tape recorder -- used that to store programs and data on my TRS-80 Color Computer some years back -- how many 15 minute cassette tapes do you think it'll take?? ;-)
Hahahahahahaha :KS I remember using cassette storage on my CoCo, many years ago. Soooooooo s l o w...

When I got my first 135k single side full height floppy drive I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! Believe it or not, that thing (along with its controller) cost me $850!!!

Then a few years later (1988?) I set the machine up with a "huge" 30MB Seagate ST-238 hard drive. Another huge leap! Never did fill that drive up.

mstlyevil
December 29th, 2005, 04:48 PM
A 30 MB hard drive back then must have been like having a 500 GB hard drive today.

Lord Illidan
December 29th, 2005, 05:00 PM
30 MB harddisk. You know what.. I might put... say... 3 mp3s in there...

xequence
December 29th, 2005, 07:18 PM

But they had MP2 back then I think :P

futz
December 30th, 2005, 04:38 AM
A 30 MB hard drive back then must have been like having a 500 GB hard drive today.
Yup, it was pretty damn cool back then ( 1987/88 ).

Hehehe. No such thing in those days. No internet either. All dial-up to BBS's.

If so, I'd never heard of it.

LinuxSwede
December 30th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Back up my music :P

Ive had alot of close calls, thinking my music collection was deleted by an OS installer. (FreeBSD, Windows 98, etc :P When I partition I always think something went wrong).

Ok, I have a cd burner. I also have 50 CDs, ive maybe burned 10 of them, so I have 40 left. I have about 5.7 GB of music. With a 700mb CD, id need 8 or 9 CDs.

Should I do this? I will be probably getting a new computer ether soon or within the next few months that will hopefully have a dual layer DVD burner.

How would I know my music is perfectly burned to the CD? I use nero burning ROM to burn stuff. It has an option, I think, to check the integrity of the burn. Will that work well?

Should I burn it as an MP3 CD, or a data CD?

I want to keep the structure, Where there is a big folder for music and folders inside for albums (Named like this: Pink Floyd - The Wall, or Muse - Absolution). Inside those folders are the songs in the album.

A new dvd burner that can burn dual layer will set you back less than $50, the media is still costly though, you can get 8x the storage space on noname regular dvd's.

LinuxSwede
December 30th, 2005, 04:48 AM

You have to be kidding me, we used compressed formats far beyond what you kiddos are using today, we took one of your mp3's that is 12mb and compressed it enough to fit 10 of them on a 1.2 floppy.

Most of you kids don't even know why it's called a floppy, well the disks were very flexible back then, the 1.2 or 1.4 or 360 or 720 and you could punch a hole in it and format it to double capacity, you know, one of those things you punch holes in papers with, we used those plentily. we used paper clips for shorting circuits to boot back to basic where we could copy from memory with our home written programs.

Those where the days.

ninotob
December 31st, 2005, 02:47 AM
When I got my first 135k single side full height floppy drive I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! Believe it or not, that thing (along with its controller) cost me $850!!!

I remember getting a floppy drive for my CoCo one Christmas -- that was so amazingly cool -- it's amazing to see how things have changed though. It was probably a bit more than 12" deep, and a good 6"x6" height and width. I don't remember how much data it would hold but it was probably similar to yours.

In comparrison, I have 1gb thumb drive smaller than the scoop part of a teaspoon, an 80gb firewire drive (laptop enclosure) about as thick and wide as a deck of cards and only slightly longer.

That old floppy weighed a ton -- I can easily forget I have either of those (thumdrive/fw HD) in my pocket. The changes in storage capabilities in the last 20 years are just amazing. I could fit a whole mini-itx computer system in my floppy case with room to spare for at least two, probably three, 3.5" hard drives.