PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Applications..Place..System... condensed..?

DonaldJ
March 11th, 2009, 11:05 PM
"Icon" plus "Applications..Place..System" takes too much room in the tool-bar.. Is there a way to make it without the Ubuntu icon.. and just "A.P.C", or just three tiny icons, maybe just three different colored asterisks, or better yet, just three tiny colored spheres..?

How can you get the toolbar icons down to about 15 points?..

I could have been the world's best brain-surgeon if school hadn't tried to forever break my spirit... I prefer tiny tools... How can I get the mouse cursor down to half its smallest size, and change its color to a custom color..?

After a few weeks the user knows what the icons are, and what they do... One doesn't need the infantile lettering anymore telling them what it is... It reminds me too much of "Windows OS's, "forever spoon-feeding the user crushed-peas in a high-chair".. like how in Windows you would make a change in a config, then it would ask for confirmation, "Are you sure you want to do this"".. Yes! I wouldn't have changed and clicked it if I didn't want it!.. and then it asks for a second confirmation, "Are you really really sure you want to do this?"... It just made me want to Scream! and break things, or punch a hole in something... It made the Windows user forever be slightly losing ones temper while running that spooky mushed-peas & overly sugared turnip flavored Windows system, built for mindless-babies...
It's like all the cars and trucks I ever had.. I always pulled off the manufacturer's name-tags.. because after just a couple seconds I knew I had bought a chevy, and I really didn't need to forever be reminded what kind of car or truck it is I drive... I don't like labels on anything... I have my reasons...

How do you get the mouse set to only one click?.. I forgot how...

How do you set trash so it doesn't require confirmation? I can't find it in this new install.. and I've added hundreds of things...

Is there a software that allows you change all the peripheral user-settings..? I thought it was a nautilus something or other..? but can't find anything that does it...

RD1
March 12th, 2009, 12:06 AM
"Icon" plus "Applications..Place..System" takes too much room in the tool-bar.. Is there a way to make it without the Ubuntu icon.. and just "A.P.C", or just three tiny icons, maybe just three different colored asterisks, or better yet, just three tiny colored spheres..?

The 3 default menus are actually 1n panel applet refered to as "Menu Bar". This can be removed and replaced with the generic Gnome "Main Menu". This will give you the Applications, Places and System menus combine in one with only the icon on the panel.....

Right click the icon left of the menus and select "Remove From Panel". Right click panel and select "Add to Panel". In the "Add to Panel" window, select "Main Menu" and click "Add"

How can you get the toolbar icons down to about 15 points?..

Right click the panel and select "Properties" Here,you can adjust the panel size down to 23 pixels. (not the requested 15 but, IMHO is plenty small)

How do you get the mouse set to only one click?.. I forgot how... &
How do you set trash so it doesn't require confirmation? I can't find it in this new install.. and I've added hundreds of things...

Open Nautilus and, under the "Edit" menu, select "Preferences". Under the "Behavior" tab, select "Single Click to Open Items". Also .... uncheck "Ask before emptying trash or deleting files".

DonaldJ
March 12th, 2009, 07:23 PM
In W2k I preferred the icons set at 18... That way they almost disappeared from focus.. by almost blending into the desktop pix...
I get into thinktank class rolls at the drop of a hat... Probably because I have no ceilings... I removed all my thought processing safety features.. All of them... I need a pure desktop when I compose on the PC, or the clutter screws-up the flows and focus.. forcing me to have to go back to pen and paper...

Ideally the desktop would be a conky floating-icons screen, with only my choice of pix, with icons that don't show till the cursor is over them...

I employ a pix on the screen which relates to the focus of the moment...
In W2k I placed pix to the far right of the screen, with WinWall.. and made the SeaMonkey Compose screen take up 3/4's of the rest of the screen... I can't do this with Ubuntu... I can't write in Ubuntu... Ubuntu forces me back to pen and paper... which is a good thing too.. because should I dive in to ultra deep trance at the computer, something in my emissions erase parts of the hd, should I forget, and do trance at the keyboard...
I need to somehow shield my hd's from what ever it is that accompanies this too-deep ceilingless thought-processing... I've got the floppies and cassettes stored far away from me...

Somehow these "emissions" make blank gaps in music-cassettes...
It's a bich when I haven't got the vinyl to repair them...
Do you know anything about extra hd-shielding against extreme ems mind-emissions..? I don't know what's in mind-emission that's destroying my cassettes and floppies... It deserves some research...

Do have any clues how to default desktop pix to the far right of the screen..?

Finally I got them mouse settings.. Thanks!..

I doubt I could handle having just one icon for the APS toolbox...
Three 1/8" colored blobs.. or I'll suffer with it as it is...
I'd like to set the cursor over a colored sphere.. and when the cursor touches it, the sphere squishes into an egg-shape, like a blob of water falling to a surface, like the blue globs in Apple's OS-10 connect in its first boot, and when clicked and released it hatches into the window with minimal drama. . just enough peaceful-animation to know there is some animation.. Not so much animation that it makes one feel like they just messed themself...

Have you got any data on "Dash"..? It's in the updates.. but I read on the Net that it messed-up a few people's Ubuntu's...
Is Dash good, or bad, in an old compaq..? And if it's bad, how do I delete it from the updates?..

sti11_learning
March 12th, 2009, 11:07 PM
If we are talking about the same topic, DASH is the Debian Almquist shell. This is just another shell to type in so, I can't think of how it could hurt. However, if you do not want to install the update just uncheck in the update manager.

DonaldJ
March 13th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Does Dash do any good in Ubuntu, in comparison to what Bash does..?

Is Dash better than Bash..?

Why would Dash damage someones Ubuntu install..?

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=dash+damaged+ubuntu+&btnG=Search&meta=

Vadi
March 13th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Ubuntu comes with dash by default since 2006.

Dash is basically bash but way faster at login, and they replaced bash with it to make ubuntu boot faster.

Since you already have dash installed, there are no issues by upgrading it

DonaldJ
March 13th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Great! Thanks!.. It did update, and it didn't wreck anything...

I have a nasty problem right this now that I just can't get through...

How do I totally destroy a tar backup of the whole OS..?

Vadi
March 13th, 2009, 02:19 PM
select it and press shift+delete ?

DonaldJ
March 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I can't find it..?

It's taking up 6-gigs of space.. and I've searched everywhere for it.. and just can't find the dern thing... Any ideas how to track it down?..
It's a seriously sloppy backup... Silly me, I left an Ubuntu image CD on the desktop, and my gigs of pix and tunes on the hd... I need to delete the backup, and start it again, clean this time...