PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu 9.04 before release

SOME1
March 11th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Hi,
I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and I have a lot of problems with it. my creative x-fi 5.1 is not working, so I don't have sound, and there is annoying bugs with nautilus, so I come to conclusion that I have to format my computer and reinstall Ubuntu. I downloaded Ubuntu 9.04 alpha 5, and run it from the livecd and it's looks like everything work great there so I am thinking of install the 9.04 version before the final release on my production machine even that I know it's not recommended (the other options are to install 8.10 again and upgrade in the future or suffers 2 more months without sound and normal filesystem manager).
I will be very happy if you can express your opinion about what you recommend to do and I will also love to hear if you are thing I should wait 2 more weeks for the beta instead of alpha 6 (that supposed to release tomorrow),

thanks, Dotan.

p.s - sorry for my bad english.

yeats
March 11th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Depending on your needs, there is the third option of Hardy Heron LTS....

martrn
March 11th, 2009, 11:39 PM
There might be a fourth option. Install a PCI sound card, (one with good linux support), and switch to KDE or use a diffrent file manager.

Not saying one solution is better than another, just giving different solutions.

SOME1
March 12th, 2009, 07:52 AM
thanks for replies. it's a laptop so pci is not an option. the 5.1 card is with usb connection (external card).
8.04 is not support in my sound card too.