PDA

View Full Version : [other] going from gnome to fluxbox

powerplayground
March 11th, 2009, 10:54 PM
alright so I switched over to fluxbox on my laptop. It works great except I can't get it to use thunar by default instead of nautilus, and it re-enables sounds for specific functions. (ie. clicking buttons, closing windows, errors, etc.)

kerry_s
March 11th, 2009, 11:00 PM
i don't understand what you mean.
what do you have in your fluxbox startup?

powerplayground
March 12th, 2009, 12:10 AM
well I don't need thunar on all the time, just when I'm browsing in my files. I just want stuff to automatically open with thunar instead of nautilus.

with the sound issue, I don't want any drum noises to play when I hit a button or get an error.

kerry_s
March 12th, 2009, 12:26 AM
sounds like your using "nautilus" instead of "nautilus --no-desktop" so it's taking over everything, just change the launcher.
do you have gnome-settings-daemon in your startup? if so, remove it.
install lxappearance to set the settings.

pw_f100_220
April 24th, 2009, 05:14 AM
just installed jaunty and now fluxbox has mouse click sounds...gnome settings daemon is not in startup...how do you specifically nix the sounds?

cos4
May 1st, 2009, 03:19 PM
just installed jaunty and now fluxbox has mouse click sounds...gnome settings daemon is not in startup...how do you specifically nix the sounds?

I've got the same problem and no clue how to solve it. If anyone has got a solution please let me know.

edit:I think I've found a solution. Run gconf-editor and go to
desktop/gnome/sound and disable "event_sounds"

Anzan
May 1st, 2009, 04:13 PM
I was going to say "run gconf-editor" but cos4 got it.

I have menu entries for it, gtkchtheme, and GNOME Control Centre, Update Manager and sudo synaptic to make getting to these things easy.

ve4cib
June 7th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Sorry to drege up an old thread, but I just installed 9.04 today and I'm running into this exact same problem.

When I have the Gnome Settings Daemon running everything is great; I don't hear any obnoxious noises every time I click on a button. But as soon as that process is killed the sounds are back.

I've opened up gconf editor and unchecked the event_sounds and input_feedback_sounds options, but the problem persists.

Does anyone have any other ideas? (And no, simply leaving the gnome settings daemon is not an option.)

VampyrePrince
June 7th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Is this error in just whatever file manager you're using, or in everything?

ve4cib
June 7th, 2009, 08:22 AM
It's a problem with pretty much every GTK+ app (as far as I can tell). Thunar is the biggest culprit, but the graphical printer manager does it as well, as do all pop-up/message/alert boxes (whatever you want to call those).

Since I have the sounds turned off in Gnome anyway I've simply purged the Ubuntu-Sounds package from my system. It still feels like a hack, but I guess it works. And it beats having to have gnome settngs daemon running while I'm using Fluxbox.