PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Internet Troubles

Grykus
March 11th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Ok, so I heard all these great reviews and stuff about Linux. SO I got myself a CD, and decided to try it out. I liked it alot, and from what I've seen... it would fufill my "Hacker" image.

But what good is a Hacker without internet. So I through in my Sympatico Highspeed Internet Installation CD and went... "F**K!" Because Linux couldn't read the image.

I use a USB Speet Touch Modem. I've heard stories of people using Sympatico on Linux. But it says Windows only. :( I don't own the Internet, I share it with my parents so I can't really switch.

Any suggestions? I will supply any information you need.

ajgreeny
March 11th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I share it with my parents so I can't really switch.How do you share it ? If with a wired router, you are probably already connected, but if with wireless, you may have more problems depending on the wireless adapter of your computer.

Grykus
March 11th, 2009, 10:59 PM
It's a strange way of sharing it. When my dad uses it, he unplugs the modem from my computer and plugs it into his. Weird. But it works.

ajgreeny
March 11th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Sorry, can't help any further as I have never heard of the modem.

Grykus
March 11th, 2009, 11:59 PM
The Alcatel Speedtouch USB Modem. It's shaped like a Sting Ray.
Just thought I would throw that out incase it's needed.

Also...
I don't think the Modem is the problem. I think what might be the reason is the CD is in the wrong format. Is there any way I can get Ubuntu to run support for Windows File Formats.

Without internet?

Grykus
March 12th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Bump.

No help from anyone?

Brandon.Viking
March 12th, 2009, 12:37 PM
The Alcatel Speedtouch USB Modem. It's shaped like a Sting Ray.
Just thought I would throw that out incase it's needed.

You are right that the driver CD is not going to work. I would be guessing but would think that only Windows drivers are on there.

Is there any other port to connect to the modem than USB? Like a network port (RJ-45 port)?

Not sure if the USB modems work under Linux as I think from memory they use software package to drive the modem to connect to the internet. Linux would have to have a driver for the USB modem.

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c043 Logitech, Inc. MX320 Laser Mouse
Try something ... plug in the USB modem then open a terminal and use lsusb to get the id of the modem. eg. my mouse is listed as
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c043 Logitech, Inc. MX320 Laser Mouse

The id is bold.

From there you could seach the internet to see if Linx supports a device with that ID

Not much help but at least something to try.

Grykus
March 12th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I wnt into the Terminal, typed lsusb and pressed enter. And it didn't do anything. Didn't even give me an invalid error.

(Sorry, I'm to to this.)

Grykus
March 13th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Bumpity Bump

Boy these forums move fast.

linux_tech
March 13th, 2009, 02:23 AM
go here
http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/ubuntu/index.html
follow instructions and post back with specific questions