PDA

View Full Version : Turning down a job for Linux?

S0VERE1GN
March 11th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Funny story: Earlier this week, I had a job interview at a big to do insurance agency. Very big deal, my first real job! I go there, and the Manager loves me, and is talking to me about job prospects by about halfway through the interview. He's showing me different things on his computer (XP of course) and a virus blocker pops up. He then proceeds to tell me how it was "the best $100 he's ever spent, i never have any problems with viruses and it doesnt slow my computer down that badly at all!" I bit my tongue, as advertising linux during a job interview i decided wsa in bad taste. He then told me i needed to buy a laptop with Windows on it for the job.

In the end, i decided that my love for linux was not a good enough reason to pass up this incredible job, especially in light of the economic downturn. But who knows? maybe i can convert the company!:o

mamamia88
March 11th, 2009, 08:07 PM
just dualboot man no biggie

ivaarsen
March 11th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Good luck with that. You'll only have the entire IT staff to deal with on that one. Some there would probably not be opposed to it - but still, I doubt they would want to try to train the users on this 'other computer software stuff'.

Yes, you were right to hold your tongue at the interview. Good for you! And good luck with your job-to-be!

smartboyathome
March 11th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I think that it isn't enough to turn down a job just because you like Linux. Later in life, you may regret it. What I would do is just dualboot it. Besides, Windows isn't so bad, I use it sometimes even!

sujoy
March 11th, 2009, 08:27 PM
yea dualboot definitely. or use linux in another system if ya have more than one. this is really a non-issue

S0VERE1GN
March 11th, 2009, 08:28 PM
its a pretty high paying job so I'm going to buy a laptop specifically for it. i dun like windows one bit :-p

Bölvağur
March 11th, 2009, 08:29 PM
just dualboot man no biggie
That is what I would do.

I know a guy that turned down a job that involved Windows and programming in .net. True story of course (this is not sarcasm he got a different job involving linux)

Vince4Amy
March 11th, 2009, 08:36 PM
To be honest if you turn down a job because of something like that then you really need to take a break from computers and things. I'm currently getting MCSE's, why because I don't like Linux? No Because most jobs would like this sort of qualification. Not everyone is going to switch to Linux anytime soon and quite rightly so. I wouldn't even bother dual booting, just keep that machine for work stuff.

S0VERE1GN
March 11th, 2009, 08:43 PM
yea thats my plan. i just thought it was funny that i was contemplating telling the guy about linux :-p glad i didnt tho, thats for sure.

Vince4Amy
March 11th, 2009, 08:45 PM
yea thats my plan. i just thought it was funny that i was contemplating telling the guy about linux :-p glad i didnt tho, thats for sure.

To be honest, there's really no point.

justin whitaker
March 11th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I see nothing wrong with turning down a job because you want to use Linux. If you feel that strong about it, then it's not the right gig for you. Kudos.

jonobr
March 11th, 2009, 08:47 PM
S0VERE1GN, a stupid story for you....

I work in a telecom company which is mostly Mac/PC.
(funny though that our products run on solaris/debian)

I wanted to use Linux as a desktop and told them, as I have to do a lot of number crunching, analysis, parsing etc, which windows cant do I need a secondary machine on which I wanted to load linux.

Of course you go through all the criticizing, and reminders that "...if anything goes wrong, your on your own" , which is all fine by me.

After time, it turns out that for a lot of number crunching stuff, programming eeproms, coming up with methods of converting or modifying data, assisting setting up testbeds for DHCP/DNS/BIND/FTP/Web server yadda yadda , they come to me and my setup.

A few people here have started to use ubuntu.
I dont force it on people or proactively push it, I think the flexibility and usefulness speaks for itself. COnversion by osmosis if you will....

Would I have turned down this job back then if Linux was banned.... no.
Would I have turned down this job now if Linux was banned.... heck no.

Still if you rather not work for a company that doesnt allow or use linux, hats off, thats impressive.....

notwen
March 11th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I tend to not mix business/personal things, including my personal preference of OS. I work happily w/ my Windows equipped machine provided to me by my employer and have my Linux machines at home. There are way too many policies/people to get approval for in a big corporation to try to convince them of pros/cons of running Linux vs Windows, especially when the majority of said workers work at already up-&-running Windows workstations and everything is configured specifically for all of these Windows workstation.

Regardless, congrats on your employment, many people would have laughed at you for turning down a job due to the OS your employer uses. Many, many people are currently struggling to stay a float, be thankful. =]

lykwydchykyn
March 11th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I'm fortunate enough to work for a boss who doesn't care what I do with my company computer, as long as I get my job done.

Kind of stinks that you have to provide your own laptop.

TalioGladius
March 11th, 2009, 09:05 PM
dual boot or use a windows VM

Vince4Amy
March 11th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I tend to not mix business/personal things, including my personal preference of OS. I work happily w/ my Windows equipped machine provided to me by my employer and have my Linux machines at home. There are way too many policies/people to get approval for in a big corporation to try to convince them of pros/cons of running Linux vs Windows, especially when the majority of said workers work at already up-&-running Windows workstations and everything is configured specifically for all of these Windows workstation.

Regardless, congrats on your employment, many people would have laughed at you for turning down a job due to the OS your employer uses. Many, many people are currently struggling to stay a float, be thankful. =]

+1 I completely agree. Also most of the time Windows used on them desktops is something completely different from what a Home OS would be. Most of them are locked down and set up for a specific usage, which makes them good at getting the required task done. In that respect I've never been able to lock Gnome or KDE down as much as I have Windows, I can't even figure out how to have an all users and separate users menu in both KDE & Gnome.

OffHand
March 11th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Why doesn't the company provide you with a laptop?

tubezninja
March 11th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I'm fortunate enough to work for a boss who doesn't care what I do with my company computer, as long as I get my job done.

Same here. Originally the job I'm at now started primarily Windows, but has recently been a lot more OS-agnostic (and even actively moving most web functions away from IIS). And they don't care what I use on my desktop, so long as I get the job done. Most of the staff desktops still run Windows XP (we're skipping Vista), but a few of us are running linux, and some of us have Macs depending on our use case. I regularly hop between OS X, Solaris and two flavors of Linux. Windows I'll use just fine, but I won't go out of my way for it.

The way the job market is now, if I were looking, I wouldn't turn down a job offer over not being able to use linux or some other OS. But, that doesn't necessarily mean I would stay. i always chafe in work environments where the IT staff is overly restrictive, because it often means that inertia in that company is too great to change if a better solution is out there, and it often restricts my ability to get my job done in creative ways that would make it faster and smarter. In a case like that, if I find an opportunity that I would enjoy more and would give me greater freedoms, then I would obviously consider jumping ship.

But right now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't HAVE to be looking for a new job anytime soon. :D

NE Key
March 11th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I am sat at work now, using Ubuntu on my personal laptop, on the desk alongside the business PCs running Windows.

Clever enough to use both !

thisllub
March 11th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Use a VM.
People will think you are a ubergeek.

s.fox
March 11th, 2009, 11:20 PM
As many people have said, why do you need to buy a laptop? Shouldn't they be providing one?

Primefalcon
March 12th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Quick question why do you know why you need a laptop with Window any special software required that's windows only they use or?

aeiah
March 12th, 2009, 12:51 AM
asking that you provide a laptop with windows on is the weirdest thing of all. i earn far less than i should, i think, but they still provide me with a computer or two. hell, they even supply a desk, chair and notepad too!

congrats though. its not easy getting a job right now. not around here, anyway.

pparks1
March 12th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I agree with the other folks who are also wondering why YOU are having to provide a computer for your job. I've never worked for any employer that didn't provide the employee with the computer.

Maybe you meant that they will give you a laptop, but it will have to have Windows on it. In that case, it's understandable. IT policies, support for vpn clients to work remotely, group policy, etc.