PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.1 Installation Stalls

GaryPG2
March 11th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I am completely new to Ubuntu and Linux. I tried the Live CD feature of version 8.10 and thought it was great. I used that feature for about 40 minutes and everything worked perfectly. I selected the Install option from the DVD menu. Everything went fine until the Installing System box was displaying copying files. When the horizontal bar reached about 50%, the graphics screen faded out to display a text screen.
"Starting GNOME Display Manager … [ OK ]"
was displayed followed by 5 more lines of text. After about 30 seconds the displayed changed to a solid blue background with a gray rectangle in the middle containing the following text:

"The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90 seconds. It is likely that something bad is going on. Waiting for 2 minutes before trying again on display :0. <OK>"

This is still text mode. I hit my return key and the original text returned.The screen seemed to switch to graphics mode for a few seconds several times, but always went back to text mode. The message above was then displayed a second time. I hit my return key and waited about 15 minutes and nothing happened so I reset the computer. I am using the official Ubuntu DVD that I got from Amazon. I also tried a DVD that came with a book I got. The results are always the same. I did the integrity check on the initial menu. I also tried the F4 option for Safe Graphics mode which reduced the display resolution but the same problem occurred.

My 2 year old computer has an ASUS P5B motherboard with Intel Core2duo (6600, 2.4 GHz), 3 GB RAM and Nvida GeForce 7600 GS display adapter. I created about 70 GB of free space on my hard drive which the installation program used for 2 partitions. This is such a generic computer that I can't believe the installation program doesn't work. I have no problems at all running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Does anybody know what's wrong?

wpshooter
March 11th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Try installing from the ALTERNATE (texted based) CD version of Ubuntu.

GaryPG2
March 12th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Try installing from the ALTERNATE (texted based) CD version of Ubuntu.

Thanks, The text install went perfectly. I'm now up and running.