PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Moving folders from OS X (hfs) partition to /home partition

wersdaluv
March 11th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I want to move my "Users" and "Applications" folder to my Ubuntu /home partition. Is it possible? I tried moving them to my /home partition then created symlinks for OS X to be directed to my /home partition but it did not read the symlinks properly.

Also, I can't write on my hfs partition now while on Ubuntu. I don't know what happened. I can still read it and my UID on Ubuntu is the same as my UID on OS X (501). How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance. :)

cyberdork33
March 11th, 2009, 06:23 PM
do you still have journalling disabled?

wersdaluv
March 12th, 2009, 12:38 AM
do you still have journalling disabled?
I suppose. I don't remember changing it.

By the way, when I tried booting OS X a while ago, I never got to boot. After the splash screen, my computer just restarted. Oh well. It's a new issue. If I don't get this to work, I'll just reformat.

After reformatting, I hope, I can find a way to move my folders and make symlinks because OS X doesn't allow moving such folders.

damis648
March 12th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Well, Mac OS X can't read Ext3. Do you have a driver for Ext3?

Also, to get write access, make sure you

sudo diskutil disablejoural /dev/rdisk0
in Terminal.app.

wersdaluv
March 12th, 2009, 03:35 AM

in Terminal.app.
I have a driver for Ext3. I was able to access my /home.

I'll recheck if journal is enabled again but I don't remembering enabling it.

Btw, are Linux symlinks supposed to work on OS X?

wersdaluv
March 12th, 2009, 03:36 AM

in Terminal.app.
I have a driver for Ext3. I was able to access my /home.

I'll recheck if journal is enabled again but I don't remembering enabling it.

damis648
March 12th, 2009, 12:44 PM

As far as I know... but there my just be a confliction in the fact that the symlinks are between different filesystems. Also, what driver are you using? I have tried to find one (recent one) that works, but I have not found one.

wersdaluv
March 12th, 2009, 07:05 PM
As far as I know... but there my just be a confliction in the fact that the symlinks are between different filesystems. Also, what driver are you using? I have tried to find one (recent one) that works, but I have not found one.
I'm using ExtFSManager.

I'm on my fresh OS X install now. i can read my /home partition but I can't write on it...

Any idea how to fix this?

phatqao
January 10th, 2011, 07:08 PM

in Terminal.app.

Thanks for the tip. The identifier of the boot disk may differ (it did for me), in which case you can use
diskutil list to find it. then instead of 'rdisk0' in your command, it's the ID you found for the OS X partition.

I used this info to make a symlink between my os x music folder and my ubuntu rhythmbox directory - thank you very much!