PDA

View Full Version : Songbird 1.1 Released

gloscherrybomb
March 11th, 2009, 01:38 PM
The newest version of songbird (1.1) has been released.

For all new features (including album art fetching) see here:

http://blog.songbirdnest.com/2009/03/10/songbird-11-is-here/

It seems you just extract the folder and run the program bin directly from it, is that correct?

bvanaerde
March 11th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Watch Folders
You can choose to watch a folder hierarchy for changes and the content will auto-magically be imported in your library. If a file is removed from the watched folder, the corresponding track will be deleted from your Library.
I think a lot of people have been waiting for this feature:D

Dragonbite
March 11th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Can it watch a networked folder? I have my music on the server and I would prefer to not have to import everything into my local drive so I'm managing two locations.

(same idea with pictures, but that's another story)

Spike-X
March 13th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I think a lot of people have been waiting for this feature:D
I know I certainly have!

kk0sse54
March 13th, 2009, 03:51 AM
It seems you just extract the folder and run the program bin directly from it, is that correct?

Yes, however I prefer to actually install through my package management system.

smartboyathome
March 13th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Can it watch a networked folder? I have my music on the server and I would prefer to not have to import everything into my local drive so I'm managing two locations.

(same idea with pictures, but that's another story)

I am guessing it can if you mount it as a local filesystem (ie, using something similar to the mount command for other partitions).

EDIT: I wish they would finally get the ability to restore a closed tab, and the ability to use more than one window. Those are two features I desperately need.

JackieChan
March 13th, 2009, 05:14 AM
I'm still waiting for a visualizer. :neutral:

Sinkingships7
March 13th, 2009, 05:59 AM
The day Songbird develops a good-working equalizer is the day I leave iTunes forever.

regonzal
March 13th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I have always been interested in this player, I just wish it could better blend into the themes I use with Ubuntu; I know, just being picky here :P

Islington
March 13th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I am guessing it can if you mount it as a local filesystem (ie, using something similar to the mount command for other partitions).

EDIT: I wish they would finally get the ability to restore a closed tab, and the ability to use more than one window. Those are two features I desperately need.

ctrl+shift+t doesnt work?

binbash
March 13th, 2009, 08:51 AM
debs : http://www.getdeb.net/app/Songbird

Johnsie
March 13th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Does it play/rip cd's yet?

legolas_w
March 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I was an Amarok user before songbird 1.0. and now I prefer using songbird more than any other media player specially Amark2.
If it had some minimize to tray feature I would call it a feature complete media player for audio based media

CraigPaleo
March 13th, 2009, 11:04 AM
debs : http://www.getdeb.net/app/Songbird

Thanks! You read my mind.

gloscherrybomb
March 13th, 2009, 11:53 AM
The day Songbird develops a good-working equalizer is the day I leave iTunes forever.

The next release (May) will have an equaliser

Audrey Hepburn on Crack
March 13th, 2009, 12:03 PM
The newest version of songbird (1.1) has been released.

For all new features (including album art fetching) see here:

http://blog.songbirdnest.com/2009/03/10/songbird-11-is-here/

Thanks for the info, but with Pandora I hardly find Songbird relevant.

Technically, you might say Songbird is a little too little and a little too late.

Nice effort by the devs though

:popcorn:

CraigPaleo
March 13th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the info, but with Pandora I hardly find Songbird relevant.

Technically, you might say Songbird is a little too little and a little too late.

Nice effort by the devs though

:popcorn:

Isn't Pandora just Internet radio? It may be nice if you don't already have your own music stored locally -- or am I missing something?

Sinkingships7
March 13th, 2009, 01:43 PM
The next release (May) will have an equaliser

Source? If this is true, I'm really excited! :D

Sand & Mercury
March 13th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Have they made any effort to make the program a bit lighter on memory?

Changturkey
March 13th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Is Songbird QT or GTK?

kpkeerthi
March 13th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Great News! I will hold until this bug (http://bugzilla.songbirdnest.com/show_bug.cgi?id=12261) is fixed

kk0sse54
March 13th, 2009, 03:03 PM

Not really, songbird remains and I think will always be one of the more heavier media players around. It's definitely not for those looking for to set up a system of low ram usage. However that being said for me the ram usage is a conceded point when comparing it to other full fledged media players since I've had fantastic performance with my large library as opposed when I tried Banshee. That was of course before I met MPD + ncmpcpp which equals perfect bliss for me these days.

Dragonbite
March 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Is Songbird QT or GTK?

Isn't it the Mozilla tookbox, which isn't Qt or GTK (and not Gecko, that's the browsing engine.. but I can't remember what mozilla calls it)

mehaga
March 13th, 2009, 04:08 PM
XUL. But, why does it matter if it's QT or GTK or...?

Firestem4
March 13th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I downloaded the update yesterday. THey really did a good job with this update. I have been waiting for folder watching and artwork-fetching. Can't wait for the next round of updates.

Yes they have. If you read the release notes, the list of major changes include fixing a lot of memory leaks and optimizing parts of their program to use less memory. The biggest change is the 40% cut in CPU usage [for large libraries]. I have a 30 gig music library O.O This is good news for me.

For the person asking about an Equalizer and other features: http://wiki.songbirdnest.com/Roadmap

Sinkingships7
March 13th, 2009, 08:25 PM
for the person asking about an equalizer and other features: http://wiki.songbirdnest.com/roadmap

:d

timjohn7
March 13th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Although a visualizer would be great, I'd give CD playback and CD Ripping priority. The devs should look at ripperx and incorporate its simplicity and reliability to move Songbird to a complete suite.

Teabicky
March 13th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I'd love to see MTP device support. I wouldn't need any other player then.

jaebe2
March 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Yes, however I prefer to actually install through my package management system.
How do I do that?
I have downloaded the tar archive. I also heard about getting a deb package. How do I get my system to do it through package management?