PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to find out all that is installed?

mtbsoft
March 11th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Jaunty is coming and so I'm wanting to get prepared for a fresh install - I upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 and, though it was fairly good, want to do a clean install this time.

So the main question is... how do I find out all that I've installed. I know that I can go through the history in Synaptic and also simply sort by the installed column making notes but that is a very manual process and prone to error. It will also require me to track down all those other other little gems that don't appear in synaptic.

Are there any clues, suggestions or even tools anyone can offer that may help me with this task. I actually intend to create a script (or set of scripts) which I can use to semi-automate the rebuild process - in future I shall have to be disciplined enough to update the scripts whenever I install anything but for now... help?! Anyone?

m_duck
March 11th, 2009, 01:24 PM
The first post in this thread will do what you need. It outputs your installed packages in a text file, which you can then use to reinstall on the fresh install.

mtbsoft
March 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Sorry mate, the link hasn't posted properly, could you repost it please.

m_duck
March 11th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Oh yeah, sorry about that.

Edited the post to show it properly.

mtbsoft
March 11th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Fantastic, that's just what I was looking for (but didn't find). Much appreciated.

mtbsoft
March 13th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Just typical, look what just appeared in one of my RSS feeds today...

Record Installed .deb Packages In A Text File (Ubuntu/Debian) (http://howtoforge.com/record-installed-deb-packages-in-a-text-file-ubuntu-debian)

...now I'm spoilt for choice!

dmizer
March 13th, 2009, 01:54 AM
To mark a thread as solved, please use the "Edit Tags" feature at the bottom-right of the thread. :)

The old [solved] feature will not be coming back as it was causing instability in the forum software.

mtbsoft
March 14th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Ah, so the title is no longer getting updated - that explains why I couldn't find the old feature. Thanks mate.